Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2014, 09:50 AM   #29

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven
We are F/T, and will be until we cannot or change our minds.

Exit plan? Easy-peasy! Rent a place in an area with good over-all weather and the infrastructure to support all if our needs.
If you rent, you can move!

Until such time, we will be vagabond adventurers, and the Journey will still be our Destination.

Happy Trails!
Couldn't agree more Dave.

Everyone is different, and while we are still in the planning stages For FT --- We know for a fact our exit would never be a ranch in Wyoming or anywhere else. It won't include owning anything that requires a lawn mower, paint brush, or hiring people to use them. Going full time is our hunt for the Big Exit Plan - the big sleep.

We have lived in the DFW area 30+ years and don't want to retire here. We are sure of that. But we don't know where we want to retire or for that matter - if settling down is something we want to do at all. We have joked that we may wander until we can no longer roam - pull the MH up at the assisted living place we found while roaming - toss the keys to the next owner - and hit the hot tub.

Having an exit plan is a good idea and I suspect anyone who saved and planned enough to own a FT ready RV knows that. But making too much of the fact that circumstances can change is silly. Of course they can. An anvil can fall on you at any time. What are ya going to do, lock yourself up in a shelter somewhere? Or how about working till ya die because ya might not have enough money? Or sit quietly in a corner somewhere afraid to move because you can't predict the future? if you're that worried about the future - Madame LaRue is taking appointments. Give her a call!

Name:   image-1625759816.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  35.8 KB

flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2014, 10:00 AM   #30

To all of you who answered my question I do want to thank you for sharing you experiences and insight, We are still about a year away but still need all the information I can get.

Bob Foisy

Old 02-09-2014, 10:13 AM   #31

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Foisy
To all of you who answered my question I do want to thank you for sharing you experiences and insight, We are still about a year away but still need all the information I can get.

Bob Foisy
So do you have the 40 footer now? Still shopping for it? I checked your other threads and can't tell by your profile (could be an iPhone short coming). It took us about 7 months to find ours. Of course if you're buying new - you only have build time. But either way - before going FT - plan on several moths of shake out.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:54 AM   #32

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post

Couldn't agree more Dave.

Everyone is different, and while we are still in the planning stages For FT --- We know for a fact our exit would never be a ranch in Wyoming or anywhere else. It won't include owning anything that requires a lawn mower, paint brush, or hiring people to use them. Going full time is our hunt for the Big Exit Plan - the big sleep.

We have lived in the DFW area 30+ years and don't want to retire here. We are sure of that. But we don't know where we want to retire or for that matter - if settling down is something we want to do at all. We have joked that we may wander until we can no longer roam - pull the MH up at the assisted living place we found while roaming - toss the keys to the next owner - and hit the hot tub.

Having an exit plan is a good idea and I suspect anyone who saved and planned enough to own a FT ready RV knows that. But making too much of the fact that circumstances can change is silly. Of course they can. An anvil can fall on you at any time. What are ya going to do, lock yourself up in a shelter somewhere? Or how about working till ya die because ya might not have enough money? Or sit quietly in a corner somewhere afraid to move because you can't predict the future? if you're that worried about the future - Madame LaRue is taking appointments. Give her a call!
I agree with your sentiments exactly, never less change is stressful. I am still gonna go and find a way to make it work.
Old 02-09-2014, 03:10 PM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Foisy View Post
I'm wondering about full time RVing in a 40' Newmar. What are the do's and dont's?
I note that your basic question is not quite clear on the specific nature of your concern. It almost seems that you're concerned that 40 ft won't be big enough. Its interesting that in just two days the thrust of the responses has morphed through several sub-categories.

Many responders have emphasized the advisability of an "exit plan". My opinion is that in many areas it is all too easy to overthink things. You can always exit. It might cost you some money; it might cost you some convenience. But everything costs you something, and obsessing over things that might occur and tying yourself in knots with excessive planning only increases the very stress levels you are supposedly trying to escape.

If you already own the Newmar, you already have one of the finest coaches available for fulltiming. Fully half of your battle is done. As to the rest of it.... Just Do It!! Send the important family goods to the kids or other family; sell or lease the house; everything else- although meaningful and valuable to you due to its 30+ year history- is just old stuff to everyone else. Call a consignment company, have them come pick the things up, and they'll send you checks periodically as the things are auctioned or sold. Don't worry about it, just hit the road.

We were discussing retirement and fulltiming through the summer and fall of '11, then accelerated the process in January of '12, and we were on the road by August of '12. Haven't looked back, haven't regretted it for a moment.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." — Mark Twain
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 03:25 PM   #34

I agree with JFXG....you can over think and over analyze this thing to death. We organized everything from buying a MH ....to leasing our home .....to hitting the road in less than 8 weeks! When we tired of living FT in a MH (3yrs) we found a new place...unpacked our "stuff"... Sold the MH and moved on....

No big deal getting "in" and no big deal getting. "out"..... just life.
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 05:09 PM   #35

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1234
I agree with JFXG....you can over think and over analyze this thing to death. We organized everything from buying a MH ....to leasing our home .....to hitting the road in less than 8 weeks! When we tired of living FT in a MH (3yrs) we found a new place...unpacked our "stuff"... Sold the MH and moved on....

No big deal getting "in" and no big deal getting. "out"..... just life.
Jack - how long after you sold the motor home and moved on - getting out - before you bought the Motorhome in your profile.

---------
Wyorancher - You got out too - and now have bought another Motorhome - I have read some of your posts on that - but don't recall the interval between getting out and wading back in.
---------

Seems even in life after exit this lifestyle pulls ya back in. If not all the way - enough to get another one and hang out here!!
Old 02-09-2014, 07:38 PM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Exit? As in Exit from your dream? You never know what tomorrow brings. I have serious health issues. If I die tomorrow, my wife will somehow get the MH moved, sell it buy something smaller and continue on. She may just rent an apartment. The only time you need an exit plan is when you are tired of the fulltime lifestyle, and you just have to have the house, and all the tools and hobbies. If you feel like you are giving up your lifestyle to fulltime, DON'T do it. If you had a house you love, tons of tools and hobbies, DON'T do it.
If your dream is full timing, the house and possessions feel like a burden, then DO IT!!!

Exit plans are for people who aren't committed to their dreams. Yes, dreams don't always work out, but don't plan to fail.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 07:39 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1
Jack - how long after you sold the motor home and moved on - getting out - before you bought the Motorhome in your profile. --------

We are "lifestyle" RVers ...rather than weekend campers .....so we always sell our RV as soon as we move back into a House. The cost of ownership (depreciation, repairs, maintenance, insurance & registration) for our Rexhall was a bit North of $1,000 p/mo..... so if we weren't interested in roasting weenies at the local campground .....this decision was pretty much a no-brainer!

We've FT'd twice.....from 1998-2000 we had a 5er which took us to Mexico where we sold it to some guy building a house. Over the next 10yrs whenever we had the urge to RV we simply flew & rented. We rented a 32' Class C in Los Angeles one yr.....a VW Van conversion from friends in Amsterdam one yr....and a 24' Class C in Vancouver. We bought our Rexhall in Los Angeles .....while living in Mexico..... and travelled from 2010-2013.... and then resettled on VCR. island last year.....sold the Rexhall to some guy from Edmonton.

In...out....rent....in...out.....works for us.
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:17 AM   #38

Met several people at Lake Powell that do about the same
Instead of renting a house boat they buy then sell when they get finished.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:31 AM   #39

We are fulltime for almost 15 months now so we are still learning. What we have figured out no matter what brand they are still campers not houses. We had to make several changes in furniture and even cabinets. We needed a filing cabinet with hanging folders and rv's generally don't have that option. The couch's look great and work well for weekends or even a month but eventually they gotta go! Your question is too vauge for a real answer, what works well for others might be bad for you. JMHO
Old 02-10-2014, 08:39 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
Exit? As in Exit from your dream? You never know what tomorrow brings. I have serious health issues. If I die tomorrow, my wife will somehow get the MH moved, sell it buy something smaller and continue on. She may just rent an apartment. The only time you need an exit plan is when you are tired of the fulltime lifestyle, and you just have to have the house, and all the tools and hobbies. If you feel like you are giving up your lifestyle to fulltime, DON'T do it. If you had a house you love, tons of tools and hobbies, DON'T do it.
If your dream is full timing, the house and possessions feel like a burden, then DO IT!!!

Exit plans are for people who aren't committed to their dreams. Yes, dreams don't always work out, but don't plan to fail.
Sorry. I always have an exit plan. Even when I pull into a Pilot station with my toad. Some of my friends say I just have too much good luck. I certainly wouldn't advise getting in the stock market dreaming your dream without an exit plan. JMHO
Old 02-10-2014, 09:10 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyorancher View Post
Sorry. I always have an exit plan. Even when I pull into a Pilot station with my toad. Some of my friends say I just have too much good luck. I certainly wouldn't advise getting in the stock market dreaming your dream without an exit plan. JMHO
I agree with the philosophy of Davdeb1.

After all, what is an exit plan? Sell RV, rent apartment, adust as required.

And anyone can do well investing. Not in stocks, but mutual funds, with two strict rules: medium to low risk, and no greed. Buy low, sell high still works!

Most folks do not plan to fail, but some fail to plan. Dave and Deb and Nola and I, and most fulltimers we have met, have planned well.

For some folks, fulltime does not work, and that is just fine! For us, that have found the Rainbow, where the Journey is the Destination, everything is just fine!

YMMV
Happy Trails.
Dave

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 02:17 AM   #42

Selling the RV and renting an apartment is an exit plan.

Tags
full time