Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-11-2014, 07:43 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyorancher View Post
Selling the RV and renting an apartment is an exit plan.
Glad you agree that it is that simple.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2014, 08:57 AM   #44

I gave myself 2 years to study the RV's and so far I narrowed it down to 40' and A Newmar with the comfort drive, or a Winnebago. I like the construction on both. We went to the RV show in Tampa in January and I drove a 34' Newmar and I liked the way it handled in the wind also loved all the Class A diesel. Still getting advice from all of you who have been FT. We want the master bath and the washer and dryer, also 2 sleeper couches, I do not like the stove to be to close to the couch because of splatter. But like I said there are a lot of thing to consider.
Thank you for asking. Bob Foisy
Bob Foisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 09:27 AM   #45

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Bob - Full time or not - if you're lucky you will do your splatter cooking and fish frying outside on your cooktop. Hey ya can even get a induction cooktop for the picnic table if ya want to.

I know what ya mean though. Our cooktop is not next to the sofa for that very reason. But - we do a lot of cooking outside. We didn't get a motor home due our love of the indoors. Just a thought.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 02:14 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post

Glad you agree that it is that simple.
Since I have been RVing since 1960 and tent camping before that yes it is. Suspect you have experience also. However, for those that have never RV'd and hear the hoopla about full timing it may not be that simple. I met several people while full timing that bought into the hoopla selling everything. Ending up with 15 year old RV that needed more repairs than they could afford. Some of those people jumped in without the experience. A couple of them developed serious health problems. One lady lost her husband and had an almost unrepairable RV she couldn't drive or sell. That was the only reason I made the post. If someone has an exit plan it doesn't matter what it is as long as it is right for them. These people had none as simple as it seems to you or I. Doesn't matter what others think about the their exit plan as long as they thought about it first. With 40 years of RVing I jumped in to full time. Whoa! Really not what I expected. I was able to jump out. Like you say it isn't for everyone. I still RV about 6 months of the year. We have a blast but after that we need our home. That is where we are headed now. Over South Pass 7550 ft elevation. In Feb? I must be a little crazy. JMHO
wyorancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 02:40 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Foisy View Post
... I do not like the stove to be to close to the couch because of splatter. ...
The good thing is with Newmar, if you love a floorplan, they might agree to move the stovetop away, change places with the sink, whatever ...

Definitely worth asking ...

"Wise men still seek Him..."
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 03:25 PM   #48

wyorancher said:
"...full timing it may not be that simple. I met several people while full timing that bought into the hoopla selling everything. Ending up with 15 year old RV that needed more repairs than they could afford. Some of those people jumped in without the experience. A couple of them developed serious health problems. One lady lost her husband and had an almost unrepairable RV she couldn't drive or sell."

There are some long-odds events that can complicate any life-change scenario, where the ability to adapt, improvise and have insurance will apply. But the basic entrance/exit plans for F/T are still very simple.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 04:19 PM   #49

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven
wyorancher said:
"...full timing it may not be that simple. I met several people while full timing that bought into the hoopla selling everything. Ending up with 15 year old RV that needed more repairs than they could afford. Some of those people jumped in without the experience. A couple of them developed serious health problems. One lady lost her husband and had an almost unrepairable RV she couldn't drive or sell."

There are some long-odds events that can complicate any life-change scenario, where the ability to adapt, improvise and have insurance will apply. But the basic entrance/exit plans for F/T are still very simple.
Generally speaking: Life Insurance is the best exit plan!

And, the folks in the example seem to have had fairly bad entry plans as well. They also experienced the kinds of turns for the worse that are difficult no matter where or how you live - can happen to anyone, anytime, and are unpredictable.

We all need a roof over our heads, nourishment for mind and body. Having the wherewithal to make that happen in a satisfying and healthy manner, at the moment it becomes necessary is all ya need. Knowing when, where or what that will be isn't important. Having the money to do it is.
----------------
For me - I have no idea what the hoopla is that is being referred to. Saving for - working toward - researching and buying the coach - finding our way toward full timing has been hard work. Not hoopla or dreaming. There is a difference between realizing a dream and dreaming.

No ones resume of RVing is important but yours. If you haven't spent a good deal of time RVing - do so. Before you buy - rent. Before you sell everything be sure. When sure - Geronimo.... When things change, go with the flow. Once you have owned an RV for a while - you'll realize that's the only way to go.

Life has a beginning and an end. In between is the journey. The end is of little consequence. The Journey is the Destination!
-----------
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 04:45 PM   #50

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumper9x9 View Post
We're on starting on yr 5 in a 36' with 2 slides. #1) stuff is going to break and you'll have to get it fixed #2) preventive maintenance by a great shop will help prevent most of #1 but not all #3) a long day of driving should be about 200 miles we often do less than 100 and stay for a while. #4) Go to a major FMCA rally you will learn a lot and help you realize that your are ignorant of what you are ignorant of. #5) The western USA has a lot of BLM, Forest Service, and Park service land. If you're over 62 yo. get a geezer card it cost $10 is good for the rest of your life, gets you 50% of camping and gets you into all national parks for free. Back east not so much but they are there and there are also state and county parks. #6) Be flexible with your plans and try and find a place to hang out a head of time for 3 day weekends and stay away from places during their busiest times. #7) Remember you are driving a pavement queen. Do not try to do too much dirt road driving. You can probably do it but it will beat up your toad and be hard on your coach. #8) Boondocking is great. Right now we are down in Quartzsite after the bid rally and our closest neighbors are about 1/4 of a mile or more away. #9) Stop and check out small towns. They often have some great museums and local history that is pretty interesting. #10) Try and stay out of big cities. Very few have any RV parks or places to stay. Better to find someplace outside of town and commute in and play tourist. #11) If sure you'll get a lot more but remember this:: IT'S SUPPOSE TO BE FUN!!!! Good Luck and welcome to the life
I didn't start the thread but you gave great advice. Ok what is the FMCA?
Old 02-11-2014, 06:36 PM   #51

Ford Super Duty Owner
FMCA Family Motor Coach Association
Old 02-11-2014, 08:00 PM   #52

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My exit plans. 1.) Sell RV get an apt, and a class b, wife can drive it. This is if I am alive just unable to drive. 2.) I died, Wife Cremates me puts me in nice cookie tin, sells Rv and gets something she can drive. Glue tin to dashboard. 3.) Can't sell Rv? Have it hauled for scrap, get a smaller one and do number 1 and 2!

This is why we have a 14 year old RV.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 09:11 PM   #53

Entegra Owners Club
Hey Wyorancher: Where is your ranch located?

We will be full time after we take delivery of our Entegra coach on order. We looked at Itasca and Newmar and decided Entegra was a better value.

All the comments posted here are great!! We have considered almost everything posted and cannot wait to see, do, experience many different things we haven't done while working our butts off.
While we travel, we will be looking at places we would like to be if/when we get tired of FT on the road.
Whitewater18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 06:08 AM   #54

We plan to go fulltime when we retire. The exit plan is basically not to go into debt or at least not to be upside down in whatever coach we buy at that time. So far, so good; the house will be paid off by then.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:39 AM   #55

Country Coach Owners Club
your future coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Foisy View Post
I gave myself 2 years to study the RV's and so far I narrowed it down to 40' and A Newmar with the comfort drive, or a Winnebago. I like the construction on both. We went to the RV show in Tampa in January and I drove a 34' Newmar and I liked the way it handled in the wind also loved all the Class A diesel. Still getting advice from all of you who have been FT. We want the master bath and the washer and dryer, also 2 sleeper couches, I do not like the stove to be to close to the couch because of splatter. But like I said there are a lot of thing to consider.
Thank you for asking. Bob Foisy
Bob I thought you had your coach already. If you're still looking and looking to educate yourself here's a great place to start. Go to rv.org pay what they are asking, it will be the best money you spend on a coach. Read everything then when you think you have some coaches that will fit your bill go to oodle.com plug in what you're looking for and check the right boxes and it will email you daily updates on what's available.
All of us who offer you advice are looking through a pretty narrow window of experience for the most part. You are asking a lot of the right questions but the product at rv.org will allow you to compare pretty much every coach and model made side by side. I have found that their evaluations are pretty much right on. It will also provide a lot of information that you may find your self ignorant of your ignorance.
Good Luck and Happy Hunting if it helps I think you're going about it the right way.
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 08:43 AM   #56

Country Coach Owners Club
FMCA

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
I didn't start the thread but you gave great advice. Ok what is the FMCA?
Family Motor Coach Association: FMCA is for motor coach and motorhome owners. Motorcoach articles, motor home blogs, motor coach advice and motorhome videos.
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
full time