Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2016, 02:33 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Full time RV accident

I have found many answers to my questions on irv. But have not found any answer for this question. Me my wife into dogs will be full-time in less than two years. We will be traveling in a class a motorhome. Not owning a home anymore if we were in an accident to where the RV had to be towed to repair facility. What do me my wife and the two dogs do for what could be days or weeks for repair? I have thought of a hotel room with that could be very costly.

tdelisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2016, 02:39 PM   #2

Appalachian Campers
Heartland RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdelisle View Post
I have found many answers to my questions on irv. But have not found any answer for this question. Me my wife into dogs will be full-time in less than two years. We will be traveling in a class a motorhome. Not owning a home anymore if we were in an accident to where the RV had to be towed to repair facility. What do me my wife and the two dogs do for what could be days or weeks for repair? I have thought of a hotel room with that could be very costly.
Check your RV Insurance coverage. Most policies have Trip Interruption provisions in their coverage that will pay for hotel for a given period of time.

If you don't have it, call your provider to add it.

Old 06-18-2016, 02:48 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Certainly can happen. As noted you can get coverage that will pay for lodging and meals up to a specified amount. My State Farm pays only if due to accident, not for mechanical breakdown which is more likely to happen than an accident.

You can usually find pet friendly hotels like La Quinta, etc. We don't full time but did recently spend 3 nights in a hotel with our 2 dogs while coach was being repaired. Not much fun.
Old 06-18-2016, 02:49 PM   #4

You can usually ask hotels or real estate agents for short turn or efficiency apartments. That would be a lot cheaper than a hotel.
h20ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 02:49 PM   #5

I have mine insured wth progressive and they where going to put me in a hotel for a front tire blow out. I told them I was ok until we made it home.
Old 06-18-2016, 03:23 PM   #6

Did Progressive say how long they would put you up ?

For fulltimers, making it home is not an option.
Old 06-19-2016, 08:08 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
UBER to closest airport and go say hi to the kids for a week or two.
Old 06-19-2016, 08:22 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Lots of hotels that have efficiency rooms and you can get them on a daily, weekly or monthly rate. At times it seems like they are not much more than a daily rate at an RV park. We stay at an extended stay for 39 a day plus tax when skiing.
Old 06-19-2016, 08:27 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post

No but we have family and will visit one of the kids or take the opportunity to " vacation " for a week or two. We have planned for this possibility and have made the funds available. With pets things become more complicated but still can be done,and yes it is expensive ... Rv life isn't cheap if things go wrong, you can ignore the possibility or plan for it by setting aside emergency funds or using vacation money
For us ,personally' We loved our past pets but won't ft with a pet as they are too confining to our ability to do spontanious things, but that's our decision.we get our pet fix from friends who do travel with them.( and can't join us at times because of those pet responsibilities)
BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 08:27 AM   #10

Yea--good luck approaching a realtor about temp housing to include your pets!!! Hope you entered the wonderful world of full-timing with your pets, with your eyes open. If you have an accident --insurance may help [just like a stick house]. If your "house" breaks down on the road, you may need a Plan B--$$$$$$$$!
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 08:30 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdelisle View Post
.... What do me my wife and the two dogs do for what could be days or weeks for repair? I have thought of a hotel room with that could be very costly.
What would you, your wife & dogs do if your sticks & bricks home was damaged by fire, flood, tornado, earthquake, etc, to the point it was temporarily unlivable?
Regardless of the type of home, S&B, RV, Boat, there are emergency situations that could require living elsewhere for short periods while the home is repaired, rebuilt, replaced. Some situations may be covered by insurance, some may not. Some may stay with friends, family; some may stay in motel or rental apt. Everyone needs an emergency fund, since insurance rarely covers everything.
Old 06-19-2016, 08:59 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post

No ,I didn't ask since I didn't accept there offer.
Old 06-19-2016, 11:45 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Have had that experience twice, and yes, it gets expensive. We still have a fixed home even though we live in the coach several months a year, so drive home once and stayed with the coach once. Insurance usually covers only a limited amount of time or dollars, so check your policy carefully and ask about extended provisions for loss of use. It's not just the hotel costs - your meal and other expenses increase dramatically, and your comfort/convenience is impacted as well.

Be prepared for several months out of the RV if in a major accident. We rear-ended another vehicle in late September and got our coach back on the road at the very end of May! It took over 4 months to get a new front cap manufactured, and similar times for some of the metal structure on the front. The factory never did come through with the new dash-area cabinetry we needed, so we ended up having a local cabinet shop rebuild it. If you have no home base or family to visit, you definitely need to rent an apartment for a situation like that. The typical RV policy does not include long term lack of use provisions.

Another time we spent a week in a pet-friendly suites hotel while one side of the coach was re-painted after a minor scrape with a construction barrier. We were quite comfortable, but insurance barely covered the cost of that week, and we ate at least one meal/day in restaurants even though we had a kitchen for breakfasts and snacks.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 04:00 PM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
Tents are cheap and campgrounds plentiful.

No luxury, but the dogs would be welcome and you could likely eat a lot of take out.

1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
full time