Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-08-2015, 06:38 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Full time RV insurance

I was floored when I talked to my insurance company about insurance for our motorhome and going full time. After paying a premium around $600 per year I couldn't believe that it would go to $3000 IF I went full time this spring. Now I know that there are far less expenses without a resident but this sure isn't one of them. Any full timers out there experience those kind of charges?
Thanks for your input.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2015, 08:05 AM   #2

Had Geico on our car, but their guote for full-time was outrageous. Blue Sky was very reasonable, and easy to deal with. As Florida residents insurance was a little higher than a friends from Texas, but not by much, and windshield replacement is no deductible.
Mike_Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 10:14 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Full time RV insurance

dbray, you didn't say which company you've been with, but an increase from $600 to $3000 on an RV just for going fulltime tells me they don't want the fulltime business.

I was with State Farm for years, but when we went FT we had to switch. SF simply does not write adequate cover for full timing, and my agent told me that directly. We changed to National Interstate (with whom we are very pleased), and now pay about $2000 per year for both the coach and car- and I tend to carry good hefty coverage. Trying to go cheap on insurance is the kind of thing that will burn you when you least need it!

There are half a dozen or so companies that engage in fulltimer coverage, and you will see the names mentioned as this thread grows. Be sure you deal with one of these, as the coverage must be different from an RV used intermittently for vacation and camping. Sometimes it's vehicle insurance, and sometimes it's homeowner's insurance, and the key for the underwriter and agent is to know when and where the line is drawn.

Good Luck with the insurance, and with your fulltiming adventure! I know you'll enjoy!
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 10:48 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
X2 on the National Interstate. Good rates. Excellant claims dept.
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 11:13 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi dbray,
Consider contacting Farm & City Insurance. They are a broker specializing in RV insurance. I've been with them for 10 years. They are at FCIS Insurance - Iowa Life, Auto, RV and Pet Insurance Company
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 11:24 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

That is not typical, nor is it a necessary expense for fulltiming. Check with an agency such as ExplorerRV.com, millerrv.com, or Farm & City (which is also FMCA's insurance partner). I think you can get a much better rate, but individuals rate quotes can vary tremendously based on personal factors, location, desired coverage, etc.

When we had fulltimer coverage from National Interstate, it was only about $65/year more. They comnsider anything over 150 nights/year to be "fulltime", whether you have a fixed home or not. We are now insured with Allied (a subsidiary of Nationwide) but are no longer fulltime.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 12:10 PM   #7

We went through Miller's insurance broker who placed the policy with Titan Insurace Co. Cost is about $1700 yr. Be aware that if you no longer have a residence you lose any protection that your homeowners policy would have provided. We opted to purchase an Umbella policy to cover that. We maintain our car policy's with AAA?
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 12:30 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
I have used Hi Sage Insurance - Complete RV and Motorhome Insurance Coverages. for over 20 years. I used them when we were full timing and I still use them.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 12:49 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Obviously there are many factors behind a rate - Asset Value - Credit Scores - State - Driving Record.

In South Dakota our '08 Bounder - '14 CRV as full time came in like this in October '14 with Allied. I believe the umbrella rate has gone up about $5 on a million.

I have heard others with better rates but works for us. We used Dougherty and Associates in Sioux Falls.

You have more asset value in coach than we do - but whether it's 3x's as much I don't know and I'm not sure that would explain nearly 3x's the premium.

Shop around.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1425840229566.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	88037   Click image for larger version

Name:	1425840244174.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	88038  

Click image for larger version

Name:	1425840254596.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	203.1 KB
ID:	88039  
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 02:01 PM   #10

Full Timer's Ins

I'm in AZ full time since '04 with an '05 Bounder 38N.
Have Foremost Ins with full glass and full replacement on coach at About $1600
a year
1RoadDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 02:34 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Fulltimer insurance will always be more than a plain old vehicle policy, because a Fulltimers package includes the liability insurance that would normally be part of your homeowners (or renters) insurance. It also can include coverage for items in storage.

We have ours through FCIS (linked above in post #5). Highly recommended.
Old 03-09-2015, 08:46 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
because a Fulltimers package includes the liability insurance that would normally be part of your homeowners (or renters) insurance.
I'll just caution that the meaning of "Fulltimer" in an insurance policy varies tremendously with the insurer. Do not assume it provides extra levels of personal liability you probably should have. Some may have no personal liability coverage at all, some may have "campground liability (in and around your campsite) and others may include a general "umbrella" liability. Most home owner or renter policies include some personal liability coverage in case you cause someone harm in some fashion, but you lose that along with the house. It is wise to add some coverage to replace it, but the dollar amount and situations covered takes some careful thought. A large "umbrella" policy that covers all situations with a high $ limit is great, but it comes at a price.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 09:41 AM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
"I'll just caution that the meaning of "Fulltimer" in an insurance policy varies tremendously with the insurer"

Gary is correct on this one. Most carriers consider you a full timer if you spend more than 120 days a year in your camper. That is cumulative total.
Old 03-09-2015, 09:57 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
I was specifically referring to an insurance package designed for Fulltimers, not a Fulltimer as a definition in a standard RV insurance plan. Our plan through FCIS is specifically designed for Fulltimers.

Tags
full time, insurance