Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-28-2012, 11:26 AM   #1
Full timer with residence question

E have been full timing for 5 years now. Looking to purchase a home that we can part time from. Wife wants a town home in Maine and I want one in Texas. How do you think will win?

My vehicle registration, drivers license and state determination is with South Dakota. Use a mail service there and it has worked really well. So, I am wondering if I can keep my SD identification and still buy a townhome in Maine? I can tell Maine at it is a second home. Taxes are over the top for personal property such as car and motorhome in Maine. $5000 for motorhome along.

Anyone out there dealt with this issue and solved it? I have spoken to people that us a ups box in Florida and work it that way.

bigdomino is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2012, 11:38 AM   #2
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
No income tax in Texas, MH by weight.

04 Horizon QD, 12 Ford Flex, Excalibar, Brake-Pro, ,, Winter Texan, RVin! since 1974
Norm, Donna & Tinker Kat 74 MGB-GT, 75 MGB, 01 Z3
Life is a Timed Event, you only get One Go Around!
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:02 PM   #3
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Most states will consider you a resident and want to collect taxes if you spend more than some specified time in the state. You will need to find out what the time in Maine is.

I really can't understand why your wife wants to have a house in Maine though. It's cold and expensive. If you want to travel in the winter winterizing the house will be a pain. That won't be nearly as big a problem is some parts of TX.

By the way, I have a son living in northern Maine and hate the hassle and cost of visiting him although I love seeing him.
He moved there because his significant other was raised there and had fond memories of the area. It turns out you really can't ever go home again and she hates the place. They are trying to find a way of moving to CO at this point.
Clay WA5NMR - Ex Snowbird - 1 year, Ex Full timer for 11 years - 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N Workhorse chassis. Honda Accord toad.
Clay L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 03:11 PM   #4
We are also full-timing because of my husband's job and are South Dakota residents. We bought a small home in the Ozarks of Southern Missouri 8 years ago and have had no problems. All of our vehicles are registered in SD since that's our primary residence, even though it is a mail forwarding service. I go to the house part-time but my husband doesn't get there too often. Missouri has a state income tax and a personal property tax that can be quite high, so we plan on staying residents in SD even after he retires, living in MO part-time. Once we reach an age where we won't be traveling any more we'll probably become MO residents. That's the plan anyway.

One thing to plan on though is higher home insurance. Since our house is considered a vacation home we pay almost double what a resident would pay for home owners insurance, so be sure to include items like that in your plan.

Good luck.
Ozark RVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 03:21 PM   #5
As Clay L says, most states will want to claim you as a resident to collect taxes. The good thing about Texas is there are no (income) taxes. I know which I would choose.
2015 DRV Tradition 375KPS
2015 Chevy Duramax 3500HD LTZ Dually
Full-timers...Home is where we park it.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 03:49 PM   #6
I am wondering if I can keep my SD identification and still buy a townhome in Maine?
You certainly can legally own property in a state and be domiciled (and a resident) somewhere else. We do, and a couple of states have forced us to prove we did not meet residency requirements for them. We have some good friends who recently were hammered by their home state after shoveling everything to their Florida place for years-someone noticed they were claiming a Homestead exemption in two different states.

If you are planning to use the Maine home as a base and travel from there you are likely to run into some serious residency issues. Jealous neighbors will report you and states are getting serious about finding tax cheats. Pay a lawyer to be sure before you commit, and carefully follow the rules when you do.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 03:59 PM   #7
If you have a permanent residency someplace you will have to file federal and state taxes there. I believe in CA if you are there for more than 90 days they want yo to license your vehicles there. Be very careful. MA and TX are both pretty high. Get a home in SD, that would be the best compromise.
Don and Lorri
2007 Dodge 3500 dually
Resident Dummy.
450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 05:35 PM   #8
Newmar Owners Club
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
If you have a permanent residency someplace you will have to file federal and state taxes there. I believe in CA if you are there for more than 90 days they want yo to license your vehicles there. Be very careful. MA and TX are both pretty high. Get a home in SD, that would be the best compromise.
I don't think that's quite correct. If it's not your legal domicile, and you don't have any income in that state, there's should be no reason to file taxes there.

We own property in Michigan, but we don't have to file Michigan taxes.

Check the state tax laws to be sure.

2008 King Aire 4562, Spartan K3(GT) w/ Cummins ISX, Motosat HD-SL5 w/ SWM-8, Multiswitch, HR34 Genie
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7L V8 Hemi w/ Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow Bar and baseplate, SMI Air Force One brake
FlyingDiver is offline   Reply With Quote