Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2017, 01:20 PM   #71

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
If you are worried about V10 plug problems, here's a redirect to another posting...... http://www.irv2.com/forums/f23/the-d...on-369906.html
Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2017, 06:33 AM   #72

It happened sooner in the P/U and commercial side because of the rate they accumulated miles at. The fleet mechanics already "knew what they were doing" and changed plugs early because 100,000 was "rediculous" then they torqued them in by hand good and tight in the 4 threads of aluminum. No repair kits so they then had to pull the heads to fix or replace them. By the time most motor homes accumulated significant milage the problems were known and repair kits on the shelf. The point is that if one does not know what they are doing the plugs do last that long and one needs a torque wrench to install them. They changed the head design around 2004.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 10:27 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7365 View Post

So how many gas RV have you seen on the side of the road with the motors blown because "they were not designed to pull this much weight for prolonged periods of time."
I guess it depends on how much you plan to use it. When we were shopping, a common response from the RV salesmen was...Most people only put 20K or so on a motor home and the gas engine should go 20K no problem. My father-in-law just threw a rod through the side of the block on a V10 on his way to Florida.

I've got a lot of experience with big RV's and big boats, which is why I'd never own a gas engine in either. Cost of ownership over the long haul is less with a diesel in both cases. If you just want something to take a vacation then flip the rig, that's a different story.
Old 12-06-2017, 12:16 PM   #74

if You stick with gas I would consider or at least take a test drive in a workhorse with the Allison trans, my last coach had that combo and it was great. Only complaint was I wish it had more powah...... which is a typical complain on gassers it was a 08 Fleetwood Bounder 38P, even pulling my wrangler unlimited I made it up every mountain out west, just sometimes with hazards and being in the truck lane.

The newer chassis will behave quite a bit different vs what you have now. It also migh have a bit more power vs what you presently have on paper however it’s also a few feet taller and possibly heavier, thus similar performance from a acceleration standpoint.

I have been that person with the hazards on a few times, never really bothered me when that occurs. Heck my Jeep Wrangler has a similar problem of being way to slow.... kinda the nature of the beast.

If you drive over 10K miles a year the added cost of ownership to a DP starts to equal out. If you do not drive much and also if you like staying at the same spot for months at a time the advantage goes to the gas RV.

There is no reason and gas RV can’t make it well over 100k Miles
NC25T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 05:25 PM   #75

I would certainly consider a Workhorse.
We average about 5k miles a year as we do stay in one place for several months at a time as workampers.
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 05:36 PM   #76

When was the last year they made the workhorse chassis? It seems to me that they are getting a bit old.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 05:57 PM   #77

I think it was around 08 or09, I'm ok with that
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 12:19 AM   #78

I recently viewed a YouTube video on a new Class A gas pusher. I believe it was powered by a GM engine coupled to the Allison. Horse power was up a little. I can’t remember the video link off hand but if I come across it I will paste the link in here.

Tags
full time, full timer