Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2015, 12:07 AM   #57

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
Difference between a fine wine expert and a wino...?

Expert takes it out of the bag...

Our coach came with a bartenders glass holder.

It is a piece of wood with dovetails cut across it front to back that the feet of the class slide into holding them by their stems upside down.

They should be common item at supply house or can be made with a router.
We have the inverted holder also. I installed it. Daughter got out small bowl covers w/elastic edges. I think she got them at WalMart. Many a mile, never so much as a crack. Can't even hear them on the road.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2015, 07:38 AM   #58

One of the reasons we can't FT. We have about 600 bottles of wine in our wine box. Some (red) over 10 years old. We have to get the premium stuff shipped out of CA. Don't even think about trying to buy decent wine in WY. The WY alcohol people have to approve everything sold in stores in WY. Suspect they are testing wine in paper cups. Mostly likely after having their morning coffee in the same cup first.

Old 10-13-2015, 08:39 AM   #59

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm not a big wine drinker but we have a couple acrylic "glasses" for those times when we do. To me wine is wine, either I like it or I don't.
I equate all this "wine snobbery" to "audio snobbery", where audiophiles claim they can hear better quality music from old vinyl LPs than CDs. Yeah, whatever.

I do enjoy my evening gin and tonics though.One problem has been finding acrylic "glassware" that are a reasonable size. Most are these are ginormous tumblers where you have to pour in about 6ozs of booze and half a liter of mixer to achieve a decent drink.
I like 12oz glasses, hard to find in acrylic. So I pack a couple of my favorite drink glasses in a couple towels, stow them away and never have had a problem with breakage.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 10:04 AM   #60

Just a couple ideas:

Someone earlier posted to buy the thicker glass, rather than the thin glass. To that point, we use wine glasses from restaurant supply. Much sturdier and cheaper and I get my appropriate glass for my favorite wine.

For Storage: We modified a portion of one of our shelves to hold glassware securely by adding thin wood strips from front to back cushioned with one inch weather stripping along the length. We store all of our glassware this way. (I don't like drinking anything out of plastic, not even beer) That allows us to travel with the glassware safely stowed without having to "pack" it each time we move. All we need to do is place the "stop" in front when we head out and remove it when we are parked.
Old 10-13-2015, 10:43 AM   #61

On the fun side of 'How to drink a wine without breaking glasses.'. I've often thought getting one of those Camel Back bags had lots of positives:

1) Just top it off with a few of the bottles or boxes that you enjoy.
2) Walking around the parks with rules about no alcohol is much easier - as your in stealth mode.
3) Allows two open hands for getting in trouble with the wife!!
4) If really needing a good shot, leaning back in your chair while savoring the vino out of the tube - does provide a nice high pressure effect. Really helps the wine breath as it's shot out of the nozzle.
5) For us men, we can drink and dispose of all at the same time.
6) Having both hands and arms available for adventuresome story telling. (My wife claims that if my hands are in my pocket, I can't talk.)
7) Easy to pack away and never need to worry about breakage!!

Good post, yeah - including some of the great pokes at us vino people. Picked up a few ideas I might add to our arsenal!!!

Travel safe, have fun, and enjoy vino/life and each other,
Smitty
Old 10-13-2015, 12:18 PM   #62

A little off topic but what is the best storage container for wine? It turns out the the box wine is the best. Never sees light, the bag collapses as the wine is drawn out so no air enters to oxidize the wine, lightweight, easy to store and recyclable. However, that said, the wine itself is not always up to par.

Try and live up to your dogs opinion of you.
Old 10-13-2015, 02:00 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernerDad View Post
Attachment 109224

I mounted a hang by the stem wine rack in a cabinet and use plastic netting to keep them from clinking together. A piece of foam inserted in the ends keeps them from sliding out.

John & Dorene
This is the winner in my book. Very well done sir.
Todd157k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 04:53 PM   #64

Smile

When we first started with our MH we used plastic a few times, did not like that. We buy wine by the case so I just drink 2 bottles and put 2 glasses in the wine box. Have not broken a glass yet.
REV40C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 04:55 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
I'm not a big wine drinker but we have a couple acrylic "glasses" for those times when we do. To me wine is wine, either I like it or I don't.
I equate all this "wine snobbery" to "audio snobbery", where audiophiles claim they can hear better quality music from old vinyl LPs than CDs. Yeah, whatever.

I do enjoy my evening gin and tonics though.One problem has been finding acrylic "glassware" that are a reasonable size. Most are these are ginormous tumblers where you have to pour in about 6ozs of booze and half a liter of mixer to achieve a decent drink.
I like 12oz glasses, hard to find in acrylic. So I pack a couple of my favorite drink glasses in a couple towels, stow them away and never have had a problem with breakage.
Nothing wrong with gin and tonic or even gin on the rocks. Wine? Depends on where one lives. Living in the midwest I never thought much about wine. When I moved to CA (for 40 years) all that changed. Almost everybody in CA drinks wine. Wine at dinner time is very common. Also social wine drinkers at parties. When I moved to WY it is an area where good wine really isn't available purchased in the state so not that popular.
Old 10-13-2015, 09:35 PM   #66

Just so you know they have Camel Backs made strictly for wine. They hold a bottle of wine and you can vent out the air so that it does not destroy the taste of wine. You can get them at REI. They are great
Old 10-14-2015, 10:13 AM   #67

WYORANCH What branch and for how long. Thks for your service. I am retired Navy Corpsman. 4 yrs taking care of Marines and the rest of the time Spec Ops. Why would you move to So Cal. I am in Temecula Ca and love Wyoming and Montana. Beautiful country there and you even have water lol
Old 10-14-2015, 10:47 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by divingdoc View Post
WYORANCH What branch and for how long. Thks for your service. I am retired Navy Corpsman. 4 yrs taking care of Marines and the rest of the time Spec Ops. Why would you move to So Cal. I am in Temecula Ca and love Wyoming and Montana. Beautiful country there and you even have water lol
Hey, nothing wrong with Temecula. We love Pehchenga RV park. We lived in SW Torrance for over 40 years before moving to WY. The money is in So CA. I was a sparks in the Coast Guard for just 4 years on the east coast. We have lots of water but keep in mind lots of boiling mud pots also. Well water isn't what it was years ago. I'd give up well water for Temecula city water any day. DW loves that shopping center in Temecula. Just too many people down there.
Old 10-14-2015, 10:51 AM   #69

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Some of you have very nice racks for holding your glasses. I don't have any friends so we only carry 2 glasses. ;-)
Old 10-14-2015, 10:55 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by divingdoc View Post
Just so you know they have Camel Backs made strictly for wine. They hold a bottle of wine and you can vent out the air so that it does not destroy the taste of wine. You can get them at REI. They are great
A bottle of wine? Well, you have to start somewhere!

All kidding aside, our glass approaches posted earlier and works for us...

On wines, we keep what I call our 'rolling stock' with storage for four cases of wine. (We have a J Sofa, stash 3 cases under this. The 'in use storage' case is in an upper cabinet.) We find we go from 'Costco to Costco' and restock depleted stock to keep our 'rolling stock' topped off as needed!

Also under the J Sofa, we carry up to 6 boxes of Bota, the equivalent of another 24 bottles of wine. Wife likes the Old Zin, and I'll go back and forth between that and the Cab or the Revolution - depending upon mood.

We start with a bottle of wine, and then if we want a bit more during the evening, we're usually pretty disciplined to then 'top off' via the Bota. Budget's must be adhered too...

And, we do have stash of Port, Scotch, Vodka, Drambuie - etc. About once a week, we'll have a Martini or Rusty Nail, to start the evening. We also really enjoy a bit of port at the end of the night, sitting around the fire looking at the stars.

(It sounds like a lot, but when you're out for several months at a time, or like 2014 when we did our 5-6 month Retirement Victory Tour to Alaska - it's pretty easy to cycle thru some volume. At least once a week, we have a few glasses that go to guests we meet along the way, so we do get some help.)

My daughter joked that I need to get a trailer to tow behind our rig, get my Post Mid Life Crisis convertible to put inside, but o get one long enough for a 'Rolling wine cave!' - not a bad idea!!!!

Best to all, and a toast to all as well,
Smitty

Tags
full time, full timer