Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-04-2010, 05:10 PM   #15

Thanks for the link... have bookmarked with my specifications.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2010, 05:28 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Full-timing? Get the biggest, baddest thing you can afford

Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 06:02 PM   #17

Quote:
Jim Stewart says:::
Electric awnings can't be lowered at an angle to block low sun. They go in, they go out
Not true. That was discussed a while back in the Monaco forum and the moderator posted some pics of hers. Here's one of them.

They are not AS adjustable as the manual ones, but they do not have to go straight in and out.
Old 01-04-2010, 06:48 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Even though the electric awning on my Diplomat will lower to block the sun for the windows it leaves alot to be desired for anything else. It is mounted to high and does not give hardly any shade to set under on my patio. In my opinion it is a very expensive window shade. If I had known how limited this awning is I would have gladly chosen the mechanical. (One positive on the electric, I like pushing the button).
Old 01-04-2010, 07:39 PM   #19

We've lived several months at a time in our 24 foot Kit 5er with no issues - my wife and I and one small dog - now the dog is gone, and we also have the '88 Winnie class A MH - and it seems FAR roomier and more comfortable than the 5er - with FAR more storage area in various basement compartments to boot!

If you're trying to duplicate all the features of your stick/brick place in a MH, well, you're work's cut out for you - but if instead you are willing to adjust to a full-timing lifestyle, instead of trying to bring all your former "stuff" WITH you, your work will be lots easier!

We'd have absolutely NO problems full-timing in our older, no-slide Winnie - we don't dance or jog inside, so the room we have in our "rolling antique" is just fine - but yeah, that's just us...

A 34 footer? what would we EVER do with all that extra room? OH - and our house is 2000 sq feet...
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 07:50 PM   #20

heyduke: don't limit yourself to a 34' RV. When we went fulltime we had a '98, 35' with no slides, leaving a 2200 sq ft house, and it wasn't that bad. Problem was the RV make/model. Everything started to fall apart.
First Thought: Look VERY closely at the make/model you are going to purchase. RV's are noted for "You get what you pay for".
After getting a reliable unit, '01 37' with 2 slides, it was like moving into an upscale condo. Even now we are quite content with what we have as we haven't found anything to match the "old" quality.
Second thought: Gas/Diesel, that's up to what you are comfortable with. We went from gas to DP each has it's advantages The DP has higher ccc and handels better. Gas was lower cost to operate.
Third Thought: Doesn't make any difference what you buy the first time! I think most multipule owners will tell you every time you buy you get a better unit for some reason.
Fulltiming is an adventure, don't even try to plan too far ahead as something will always come up! Purchase something you like now and go from there, good luck and keep us posted!
Baby Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 08:56 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
I stand corrected, power awnings do not just go in and out, they also go partially in and out. Therefore, the problem that I expressed is exaggerated even more when partially extended as demonstrate in the picture. If you want to use a partially extended power awning as a window shade, it may work pretty well, however a window shade itself is far less expensive.

If you stand on the top rung of a ladder next to the MH in the morning or evening depending which way the MH is parked, the sun might not be in your face. The other solution to the use of a power awning as a sun shade is to always pick a spot in the shade. Then, your roof mounted satellite dish may not work, so you will need a portable one too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandys Man View Post
Not true. That was discussed a while back in the Monaco forum and the moderator posted some pics of hers. Here's one of them.

They are not AS adjustable as the manual ones, but they do not have to go straight in and out.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:05 AM   #22

Baby Bear-so what do you have for a rig now and what did you have before

I am looking at 34 feet to allow me the most flexibility to get into more sites that a 40 footer just won't let us do. I have just recently gotten the cd from rv.org as to quality and handling issues with RV's... my single biggest concern right now is not buying a piece of junk that won't handle well...

There are just too many brands and models with each have a specific "best use" which isn't advertised anywhere... combine this with opinions and it makes it very difficult for a first time buyer to make their initial purchase.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:58 AM   #23

shorter than 34'

Here is another link that deals with Safari Treks: http://www.nwtfc.com/forum/default.asp Typically 24'-30' coaches. We have a '96 24' and we fit many places we couldn't when we had our 34' Winnebago. The bed raises up to the ceiling when not in use allowing sq ft of a 34' in a 24' chassis. This second link shows Trek brochures for each year. http://www.nwtfc.com/forum/portal_ex...rekB/Treks.htm
Check the first web site for classifieds of Treks for sale.
Kindest regards
Bruce
cavallin3256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 12:25 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavallin3256 View Post
Here is another link dealing with Safari Treks. Typically 24'-30' coaches. We have a '96 24' and we fit many places we couldn't when we had our 34' winnebago. Good luck with retirement.
Kindest regards
Bruce
Thanks and good luck toad hunting too... I still have to do that also...
Old 01-06-2010, 12:25 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Heyduke, you are getting good advice and I'm sure you will make a great decision, if not the first one then the next one! Alot will decide on the lifestyle you'd like to live. If you move rarely and spend long periods in one space, a larger RV should fit your needs quite well. However, as in my wife and I's situation, we move frequently and like to experience many different types of camping. State Parks, large RV Parks and Boondocking all favor different sizes and types of RV's and our 29foot, two slide Trek has been a perfect choice for us. We've been fulltiming for a bit over three years and we are still excited about everyday's new adventures. Travel slow, safe and meet people, who knows, you might make a friend!
AkTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:13 PM   #26

Heyduke,

Have been full timing in a 33' 2008 Winnebago Voyage 32H for about a year. They quit making them in 2008 and moved the 32H up to the Adventurer 32H. It came with every option except the electric leather couch/lounge/bed and a few minor doo dads. Our leather couch is the non-electric. List was $140,000. I got it for $100,000 when PA/NJ gas was $4.00/gal.
The coach's GVWR is 22,000lbs and GCWR is 26,000 lbs. I tow a 2008 Toyota Tacoma 4WD and EVERYTHING total weighs 25,000 lbs. I know because I weigh it EVERY month. I am amazed at the crap people bring along in their RV. I sold my house, gave furniture to kids(2), saved the DR set in daughters basement and the remaining mementoes/odds and ends take up a space 10" long, 3' high and 2" wide in her basement. In the coach we try to keep some things to a minimum by the rule of (4) or (2) for most things. Plates, forks, knives, pot/pans, etc(Rule of 4). Most RVers don't entertain in their RV. Shoes, coats, sweaters, hiking shoes, moccasins/deck shoes, etc(Rules of 2)
After a year, I am in the process of being back East for (2) months to help son and wife with twins due in March and will be dropping another 500 lbs from RV. Books I JUST had to take to read, Nascar races DVDs I JUST had to take to watch, the 200lbs of mahogony scraps to burn in campfires. I was too busy the last year enjoying life and sightseeing to be around the RV all day doing stuff I could of done in a stick house. The books and DVDs will be there when I want them. But to each his own.
I highly encourage you to check out the Winnebago Adventurer 32H with the bedroom slide on the passenger side and 25 foot drivers side slide that slides from just to the rear of the drivers seat to the rear of the coach. Check out their website and watch the videos. I had a fair amount of people at campgrounds who owned 30'-38' coaches tell me that they wish they knew about the 32H before they bought theirs. You will be amazed at the spaciusness when they open both slides for you.

Good Luck/NAVYBLUE

Spending my kids inheritance one day at a time
Old 01-07-2010, 06:50 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkTrek View Post
Heyduke, you are getting good advice and I'm sure you will make a great decision, if not the first one then the next one! Alot will decide on the lifestyle you'd like to live. If you move rarely and spend long periods in one space, a larger RV should fit your needs quite well. However, as in my wife and I's situation, we move frequently and like to experience many different types of camping. State Parks, large RV Parks and Boondocking all favor different sizes and types of RV's and our 29foot, two slide Trek has been a perfect choice for us. We've been fulltiming for a bit over three years and we are still excited about everyday's new adventures. Travel slow, safe and meet people, who knows, you might make a friend!

Wow, really impressed with what I can find online about this rig... I am going to have to see one in person. Thanks!
Old 01-07-2010, 07:47 AM   #28

navyblue I have added this coach as one to see so the 33' Winnebago Voyage 32H is now on the list of must see coaches. Thanks!