Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2010, 03:12 PM   #29

Solo Rvers Club
Heartland RV Club
I'm in a 33' Newmar with 2 slides, but I'm alone. Just started year 3 and I don't feel the need to be bigger at all. I could likely share the space comfortably, but I don't really want to give up the closet space :-)
Good luck and I hope full timing meets your expectations!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2010, 08:35 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzZen View Post
I'm in a 33' Newmar with 2 slides, but I'm alone. Just started year 3 and I don't feel the need to be bigger at all. I could likely share the space comfortably, but I don't really want to give up the closet space :-)
Good luck and I hope full timing meets your expectations!
How do you like your Newmar? Any regrets?

Old 01-09-2010, 09:10 AM   #31

Solo Rvers Club
Heartland RV Club
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyduke View Post
How do you like your Newmar? Any regrets?
Nope - well, only that I had invested in a diesel when I could have afforded it. I'm on a ford chassis and have had some trouble with that. But Newmar? Still solvent, answering their phones and a quality rig to boot. I've had no trouble with it at all. I'd buy another - and hopefully, some day will. A diesel next time. . .
Old 01-09-2010, 09:57 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
While we do not full time, I will offer my opinion. If you are going to move around a lot (especially in the mountains), suggest a DP. More torque/power for pulling, air suspension, exhaust or jake brake, engine noise in the back. Also, as noted, more CCC with DP than most any similar-length gasser.

Winnebago also made 34' and 36' DP's and there are a bunch of them out there for sale (check rvonline, rvsearch.com, rvtraderonline.com, etc.) The 34's were in the Journey/Meridian line and there were some 36' Vectra's along with the Journey/Meridian. We've run into a number of folks who full time in both the 34's and 36's and seem happy. We could full time easily in our 36' Journey and it is pretty maneurvable. There is plenty of room for 2 adults, 2 dogs, and we carry 'stuff.' However, as previously noted, only you can determine what you need to haul and how much coach you can live with.

Good luck with your search.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 03:15 PM   #33

Fleetwood Owners Club
Wink

I started full time over 10 years ago in a 33' gas MH with no slides. It worked good for me but it was a little over on the rear GAWR by 500 lb.

3 years later when it turned over 110,000 miles I traded it off for a 34' one slide DP.
It still has some GAWR left on the front but rear is close to full.

This 34' should be my last MH and has plenty of room for me as a single.
If a second person came on board there is very little room in the closet or any of the drawers that I haven't filled up. But admit I still carry some things that I haven't used in the 10 years.

I have no desire for a longer or more slides then this one. I don't understand the bedroom slides, when I can get to either side of mine and I only go into that room to sleep. Only thing about the 34 or less. They don't usually have a washer/dryer if you want one.

I have no problem using a laundromat to wash several loads and be done in less time then a RV washer dryer can do 1/2 of a laundromat load.

And in the 10 years I have been very lucky of not catching cooties or bugs from someone that used the washers before me.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 06:08 PM   #34

Appreciate the comments from both of you and no we are not interested in having a washer dryer at all (doesn't mean we don't change our minds later).... what we want is to be able to seek out sites in state parks across the US without having to hunt for the one or two that fits a larger rig. We are even looking at some innovative rigs like the Trek.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:45 PM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
We started out in a 28' Trek, no slide. It worked becaused we didn't move very much the first 2 yrs. We upgraded to a 36' DP with 2 slides. We love it, not too big but big enough to fit our needs. This will be our house for a few yrs.
desertrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 04:58 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertrv View Post
We started out in a 28' Trek, no slide. It worked becaused we didn't move very much the first 2 yrs. We upgraded to a 36' DP with 2 slides. We love it, not too big but big enough to fit our needs. This will be our house for a few yrs.

Curious - do you stay in state parks very much? and if so has the size of your 36 footer caused you any grief in finding spots?
Old 01-10-2010, 06:53 PM   #37

Alpine Owners Club
if we were to downsize

Over the years we've considered buying a Trek. For multiple reasons, it just never worked out for us. But here's the model we like:
2005 29rbd

2005 Safari Trek for sale in SPANAWAY, Washington - RVTraderOnline.com

Good luck with your search. 34' is very do-able...
Old 01-10-2010, 09:10 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLori View Post
Over the years we've considered buying a Trek. For multiple reasons, it just never worked out for us. But here's the model we like:
2005 29rbd

2005 Safari Trek for sale in SPANAWAY, Washington - RVTraderOnline.com

Good luck with your search. 34' is very do-able...
so why did it never work out for you?
Old 01-11-2010, 12:19 AM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyduke View Post
Curious - do you stay in state parks very much? and if so has the size of your 36 footer caused you any grief in finding spots?
No problem in the parks we go to. I just have to remember where the slide outs are and make sure they will not hit anything. The height is more of a factor than anything else for me, have to watch out for low hanging limbs.
desertrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 02:36 PM   #40

Freightliner Owners Club
We FT in a Winnebago Journey 32' and love it. Really depends on what you do and what you want to carry. Some folks need a utility trailer for all of their hobby stuff - we don't and like our floor plan.

We did put shelving in the storage area to almost double our outside storage and that has been great.

Nick
Old 01-11-2010, 08:22 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler of california View Post
We FT in a Winnebago Journey 32' and love it. Really depends on what you do and what you want to carry. Some folks need a utility trailer for all of their hobby stuff - we don't and like our floor plan.

We did put shelving in the storage area to almost double our outside storage and that has been great.

Nick
Thanks Nick what year is your winnie and how long have you been FT'ing?
Old 01-12-2010, 04:03 PM   #42

Full Timing in 34 Foot or less Motorhome?

On the othee hand, some folks fulltime in Class Bs and Arliner/Chalet trailers. They could carry 2,000 if they tried.