Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2014, 02:37 PM   #1

Full Timing in a Winnebago Vista 30T Question

My wife, Raven, and I have been researching and looking at various class C, B+ and now As. We liked very much a 2013 Winnebago Vista 30T that we looked at in near by Anchorage, Alaska. We read down though a forum regarding this model, which is why we joined iRV2, so we could learn more.

Has anyone had the experience of living full time in this make and model? If so, how did it work out? What would you have like different, if you could have changed something? What didn't you like, if any?

Our target date to begin such an experience is in about one-year, so we are planning ahead as best we can. We will appreciate any and all advice, and sharing you wish to give us.

Richard & Raven
Palmer, Alaska

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2014, 09:02 PM   #2

Hello. If you go to the owners forums area directly under the IRV2 banner at the top of the page you will find a Winnebago forum. I would post there, and someone will be along that can answer any questions.

Old 04-12-2014, 09:03 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Richard, any unit will work, it's what you want and can live in. Wouldn't work for us, but others will find it just fine.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 09:16 PM   #4

Full Timing in a Winnebago Vista 30T Question

We did 2 years in a 33 ft class A.
Now we have a 42 foot. YMMV, but size eventually matters.

And we spend a LOT of time outdoors!

I would suggest a look at 36+ feet.

And plan on having a Toad, aye?

Dave and Nola - RVM1
The Journey is Our Destination!

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 11:17 PM   #5

We currently have a 30 T. We do not full time, only do a couple weeks at a time. I think if it was just my husband and myself, it would be ok, but we also have my father in law, two cats and a 60 pound dog. We have had it for 8 months and are now considering moving into something a little bigger to better accommodate all of us a little easier.

We have really enjoyed the floor plan of the 30 T( we have the buffet with the tv and chairs) and it feels 'homey' We bought two collapsable ottomans that work as tray tables too. We still have empty storage space in both the bays and the cabinets under the TV. We installed a macerator for emptying the tanks .
I do wish there was a deeper sink in the kitchen, but I have figured out how to deal with that.
Fridge is small for full timing, but with planning it could work

Good luck with your search!
Old 04-12-2014, 11:37 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
We also have a 2014 Vista 30T. We don't full time and doubt that we ever will. We just came back from 5 weeks in FL. There's the two of us a cat and a 40-LB dog. We also have the slid-out table with just two chairs. The other two chairs are folded up and under the bed in the back. We only need room for the two of us to set at the table. In our experiences with MH's and TT"s we never found a dinette that was very comfortable. WBGO does makea very comfortable one now but I think it seats about 12 people and we'll never need that many seats. So if you have the dinette with a lot of room to seat people it's wasted space unless you use it.

The floor plan is very nice and so far (6,000) miles we are satisfied and comfortable. The space you have is really a function of how much you can adjust to not having what you have in a full sized home. You will always have to give up something to full time. Even the biggest MH out there won't have enough room for my wood working machines so I have to compromise or do without.

The TOAD that you'll have can help. I put my kayak on top and my bike in the back seat. If I had a pick-up I'd have a camper shell on it and carry some stuff in it as well.

TeJay
Old 04-13-2014, 10:07 AM   #7

I'm not sure what YMMV means (New to this business obviously), but thanks for your reply. We have had a toad possibility in mind. What seems to be the most popular vehicle for this purpose. Anyone tried a "smart-car" for this purpose?
Old 04-13-2014, 10:17 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonTree View Post
I'm not sure what YMMV means (New to this business obviously), but thanks for your reply. We have had a toad possibility in mind. What seems to be the most popular vehicle for this purpose. Anyone tried a "smart-car" for this purpose?

YMMV - Your Mileage (opinion) May Vary.

Lots of cars can be toads. Smart cars waaaay to small fir this kid.
Ours is a Jeep Wrangler. It goes anywhere and likes to get dirty. Possibly the most popular toad.

Dave and Nola - RVM1
The Journey is Our Destination!

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 10:28 AM   #9

Send a message via Skype™ to ROMANICHEL
We lived in a Winnabago about the same size for a full year and found it much to small for fulltime living, not enough storage room (with all my fly fishing gear) and not compfy enough when you have 3 rainy days in a row. We had to carry a few boxes into the towed vehicules at alll time. So we gave up fulltiming but that was not the only reason. But during that year we also met with people's very happy fulltiming in small class C.class B+ and one couple living in a old Rodtrek, so to each is own, next time for us it will be with a 5th wheel.
Mike
Old 04-13-2014, 10:34 AM   #10

I have sent "thanks" to everyone that has replied along with comments regarding their suggestions. I guess those are personal things, not viewed by everyone, as I don't see them showing up here in the forum. We do appreciate all the replies and will learn much from each one. Our comments along the line have been 1. caught between keeping the RV small, easy to drive and park as well as economical to operate and maintain, 2. having enough personal space (without getting into each other's way) as well as storage space for the few things we feel we must have (Raven is a creative person as well as a writer). I'm more of a DIY guy, read a lot, and support her projects. I also created and maintain several commercial web sites for others and hope to continue even on the road. I lean more toward wilderness camping, as I'm not very social, but Raven is quite social and needs company (besides me). We were all set for a Class B+ (without the over the cab bed, which makes it more streamlined) but discovered it lack good storage space. The 30T, in our mind, is a compromise between that and the too large to get around easily monster-bus (which does have sufficient room, with the right layout). Still learning.
Old 04-13-2014, 01:46 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Richard, it sounds like you will be spending more time stopped, opposed to driving long distances? If this is true, floor plan and storage should be your main concerns.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 03:51 PM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Richard, there have been many good suggestions so far. Even though we don't full time, we are out for about 1/2 the year, 1-4 months at a time. The first question you need to answer is: can you put up with the dear wife [DW] in close quarters, and the other way around, DW putting up with you? What are your hobbies and how much room will the 2 of you need for those hobbies? Clothing for all type of weather has to be considered, you'll be surprised how much room clothing takes up, even in a shrink bag.
As for a toad, Jeep Wrangler is what we decided on & glad we did. Set up parts for towing are everywhere. The set up for towing can be done in your driveway with tools that you most likely have. Very easy to connect & disconnect from the RV, and no special set up required for transmission. All you do is connect it to the RV, connect the light wires [easy installed kits are available], put it in 'N' and away you go.....
Good luck on your venture. PS, as Camp Daven mentioned, you'll eventually wind up in a larger RV down the road. But, as usual, it comes down to what we like & what we can spend$$$$.
Old 04-13-2014, 03:57 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Richard, if you have never been RVing, I'd suggest renting one and try it out for a couple of weeks. You'll have a much better idea of what might turn out to be important to the both of you before buying.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 11:21 AM   #14

Are we ever glad we joined irv2 and posted our question. What a great bunch of friends you have become, and we haven't even met you in person. We value all your inputs. It is a tough decision, as I imagine all of you are aware and have experienced, to give up your 5-bedroom, 2-bath home with deck, garage, organic-greenhouse & garden on almost 1-acre and move into an RV full-time. Lots of compromises and plus getting rid of a life-time collection of "stuff." We have both experience RV living, on a small scale, at least for a few months at a time. I've had a VW pop-up camper; an Ultravan, a class B and C Xplorer MH, and we presently have a Toyota Dolphin (19') that Raven and her fishing-buddy girlfriend spend a month each year silver-salmon fishing. I'm not a fisherman, but they wouldn't miss it. Plus we get our winter supply of fish each year as a result, thanks to them. Also, I noticed that only Class As seem to have room for a small washer and drier, something Raven has expressed needing. I would imagine that a toad with 4-wheels on the ground is a lot better that a tow-dolly or trailer with car on it (necessary for all-wheel drive vehicles---which we already have) At this point, one is caught between desire/need and the financial reality of it. In the end, we trust in the powers that be to somehow provide whatever we are to end up with. It seems he/she wants us to do this, for whatever reason, so we will comply as we both have all our lives. Our successes, so far in this life, have been a direct result of following these nudges. We do want to enjoy all of Alaska, Canada and what we up here call the lower-48, while we still can. So we taking it one-step-at-a-time. Blessing to you all. R&R (no we are not religious nuts, just caring people.)

Tags
full-timing, storage-space, toad, vista 30t, winnebago