Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2016, 04:58 PM   #15

Workhorse Chassis Owner
It's been my experience that many businesses (especially the sales force) come up with "reasons" that they don't offer something that the competition does. Then when they start offering the same thing those reasons magically disappear!
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2016, 08:15 AM   #16

Update on your cracked steel. We took the RV back to the Newmar factory in Indiana. They were fantastic and did a terrific job fixing the crack. It is really beefed up now. Got other things done whole we were there. Newmar is the best company to deal with.
AKgypsy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 02:22 PM   #17

30' slide went bad in second year. Replace four tracks and motors. They put Schindler (?) tracks and told me it is strong enough not to off track. Worked for a year (5 months on the road) exact same issue. Have to take it in again. Winnebago says the use Power Gear now and not all dealers are trained to do so. It takes much longer labor hours to replace the mechanism. Every time we extend we hold our breath.
After fixing this we will not extend the slides unless we are in concrete or brick level site.
We are in Canada for 10 more days without being able to extend the full side and the opposite side worrying about coach not being balanced.
Only extending the small bedroom slide so we can sleep.
We tell ourselves imagine we have a small coach.

Itasca Meridian 36M, 2013 - Jeep Wrangler X 2009
Old 08-19-2016, 05:42 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
2013 Itasca Suncruiser - full wall slide repaired 3 times so far. I have a friend with the same model, multiple slide failures, multiple visits to the factory.
Encounter others that have the same problems at campgrounds on a regular basis.
cgarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 06:27 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We're only hearing a few responses. How about a survey?
My 26' slide clamp came loose, easy fix.
Old 08-20-2016, 11:26 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Had zero issues with the full wall slide in our '11 American Coach in over 5 years of full time use.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 11:36 AM   #21

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easyrider View Post
It's been my experience that many businesses (especially the sales force) come up with "reasons" that they don't offer something that the competition does. Then when they start offering the same thing those reasons magically disappear!
You are totally correct! Before I retired, I loved going to the Louisville show. It is a dealers only show, not open to the public. You met all the guys and gals that designed the motorhomes. Bluebird and Prevost were there. Both said early on that if you wanted a slide, you better look elsewhere, because they were not going to offer slides. After so many customers walked off and bought a slide from someone else, They both came out with slides.
Old 08-20-2016, 01:47 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
Bluebird and Prevost were there. Both said early on that if you wanted a slide, you better look elsewhere, because they were not going to offer slides. After so many customers walked off and bought a slide from someone else, They both came out with slides.
Funny. Years ago we went to Foretravel and were told "Foretravel will NEVER have slides". . . guess what?
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 10:33 AM   #23

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
The cables shredded on our full wall slide. The cables were not aligned correctly from the factory. It was repaired at a campground by a mobile tech specializing in slides. We were lucky we were away because it would have been difficult to get it repaired at home.
The cost of the repair was covered by insurance that came with our financing.
diva51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 11:18 PM   #24

My research when looking for a coach, also included the stratal integrity of the over all rig. (Many RV manufactures were more interested in the 'sales of the coach' by including slides - that they did not do a full engineering redesign of the combo of chassis/coach/slide.)

When we are shopping we toured the Rexhall factory. Yep, not a volume dealer for sure@! But the owner, Bill Rex, was in many areas and industry leader. During our tour, we saw a coach with a front right caved in front end, behind the factory. It was owned by a couple that ran off the road to avoid a deer, and struck a pine tree in New Mexico. They were had slowed down to about 35-40 MPH when they hit the tree. Both walked away bruised, but walked away... The coach was flat trailered back to Rexhall of repair. When it was dropped off. The factory guys brought our power to the coach (The batteries were all dead by then.), and after hooking up the power - proceeded to open both of the larger full wall slides (T-Rex, I believe is the nick name for them.) Bill Rex over engineered the frame, and the welded structural integrity of the house steel members. I also believe the that Rexhall was if not he first, was one of the first, with the 'full wall' slides.

We went to look at the UFO based coaches, that from the outside, looked like they were off of the set of Star Trek!. The 37' UFO based Rexhall, was big enough to square dance in!

I always remember, and share, the structural integrity of the Rexhall coaches.

Again, not a volume coach. Not at the upper end of the coach spectrum. But IMO, a great bang for the buck in a coach, with the added benefit that many coach owners don't consider. (Solid, one piece fiberglass roof molds; Steel cage house coaches; Supper engineering on many fronts...)

And of course, many other great full side wall slide coaches are available too!
Best to all,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 12:16 PM   #25

2014 Itasca Suncruiser 32H. Full wall slide will not stay in sync and gets stuck then won't retract. Have to run it in and out a few inches and then it will come in crooked. Most of the time it will seat and seal. We fear it will get stuck out someday. Heard if you have documented repairs Winnebago will replace the mechanism free. We are on our 2nd slide gear and motor set. Have you ever seen the motors on these slides? They are smaller than a coke can and a lot of the mechanism parts are plastic. We love the coach and hope to keep it a long while it's otherwise well made.
cdrprn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 04:16 AM   #26

No THORS...?

WOW no THOR MH's here? Maybe because the title is FW slides. You go to that forum and it's riddled with slide problems.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 10:41 AM   #27

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoa View Post
WOW no THOR MH's here? Maybe because the title is FW slides. You go to that forum and it's riddled with slide problems.
Oh, OK, since you insist ...

We're on our second Thor diesel pusher with a full-wall slide, and have never had a problem with either one. I think the Thor slide problems you refer to are with the unfortunate use of Schwintek slide mechanisms on full-wall slides, as seem to be the case with a number of the problems from other manufacturers in responses in this thread. It appears that the Schwintek electric drives, which mostly work OK in smaller slides, just can't handle the weight of a full-wall slide. The two smaller slides on our current coach are Schwintek, while our full-wall is hydraulic, and we've had no problems with either, in 30k-plus miles so far.

I could be wrong, but I think that Thor learned their lesson from their bad experience with Schwintek slides (particularly on the Palazzo) and stopped using them on full-wall slides.
Crabby Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 05:43 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by exgman View Post
I would think he's referring to Tiffin and Entegra. As far as I know they don't have FWS's.
Tiffen is offering full slides in a couple of their 2017 models. I know they have a 36UA in the Allegro Open Road. I am hearing they are going to offer it in the Breeze and other coaches soon.
Gamaliel Kid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide