Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2015, 05:54 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Full Wall Slides

One of the things DW and I like are the Full Wall Slides. It just seems to open up the entire coach and make it roomier.

Is that imagined or real? We have been looking at the 43-45 ' range.

Many of the units we looked at thus far have not had the full wall slide. Is there a year range that the industry started making them and they became more available? That might help our search somewhat.

Also comes the issue of electric slide or hydraulic operation. IMO Electric seems like less maintencance issues yet hydraulic may be the only way to operate these huge slide outs. Am I right or wrong? Thanks Jim

Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2015, 06:33 PM   #2

I think the full wall slides started in the high-end bus chassis. I'm not sure. I think the jury is still out on how good they are and a lot will be based on the manufacturer and quality of chassis design to open up such a long and tall part of a coach.

Think of the overall stresses demanded of a coach's wall structure that is missing all but the top and bottom corners. There must be some serious gusseting on the wall top and bottom corners to hold up to the forward/reward/torsional loads.

Not an engineer, but, what sounds good to me to address those stresses is to frame hoop the entire wall openings to where there ARE NO CORNERS, structurally speaking. The curves absorb all of the forces of normal road use. But, that's just me thinking out loud.

Hydraulic does make the best sense to me, as well, where all force used to actuate the slide is consistent at all points to move the slide in and out evenly.

Personally, I think they are awesome. As a practical matter, they scare me...LOL

Old 04-28-2015, 07:15 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
We love love love our full wall slide in our Meridian and it definitely opens up the MH!. One of the big reasons we bought it was the full wallslide plus two other slides (one in dining/living room and one is the bedroom closet wall). It has operated smoothly every time since buying it in January and we have made 5 trips so far. I know for sure that Itasca, Winnebago and Newmar have full wall slides. Don't know what other manufactures have them.
austx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 07:35 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We have a full wall slide and love it. We also have an opposing slide in the East/west bedroom which makes the interior quite large. The slide has never given us a problem and is moved by 3 PowerGear electric motors. It was actually one of the main reasons we purchased the coach.
Old 04-28-2015, 07:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by austx View Post
We love love love our full wall slide in our Meridian and it definitely opens up the MH!. I know for sure that Itasca, Winnebago and Newmar have full wall slides. Don't know what other manufactures have them.
I agree. The full wall really opens the floor plan. We really like it That said, it's no secret that some of the Winnebago Lippert (electric) slides have had problems. Our 2013 36M had an alignment problem when new but repaired under warranty and has worked well ever since (knocking on wood as I type this ) I would buy it again.

cheers,
Joopy
Old 04-28-2015, 08:35 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I love my full wall slide with 2 opposing slides, but you lose a lot of room inside closed up traveling. Make sure you assess how you would use it and whether you have enough clearance with it closed up to reach things you want to reach while traveling, i.e. toilet, refrigerator, pantry etc?
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 08:47 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeryan59 View Post
I love my full wall slide with 2 opposing slides, but you lose a lot of room inside closed up traveling. Make sure you assess how you would use it and whether you have enough clearance with it closed up to reach things you want to reach while traveling, i.e. toilet, refrigerator, pantry etc?
We can access everything ... both opposing couches, dining table & 2 chairs, entire kitchen, range, MW, residential refrigerator, bathroom, bed and closet in bedroom ... except the 4 drawers in the bedroom. LOVE IT!!!
Old 04-28-2015, 09:18 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
When I was in the Army, We had full slide on both sides of the tactical operations center (TOC). That rig was made to go over any kind of terrain, and did so very well. That was quite a few years ago, so don't know what they have now.
Grey Ghost I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 11:11 PM   #9

We have been looking at the Itasca Illipse, full wall on drivers side, LR and BR slide on pass side. Big shower, roomy toilets (both) nice coach. only thing I didn't like is no booth dinette. we prefer a booth over table and chairs.
Old 04-28-2015, 11:35 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I've been shopping around for a new RV for the past 6 months. Going into this process I thought I wanted 4 slides since I thought that would give me the most room inside. Well, after being in several RVs with a FWS, 3 slides will do just fine. So much so, I'll be picking up my 2015 Newmar Dutch Star this Saturday with the FWS.
Zoey and Shelby (Pembroke Welsh Corgis)
tomakat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 11:43 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomakat View Post
I've been shopping around for a new RV for the past 6 months. Going into this process I thought I wanted 4 slides since I thought that would give me the most room inside. Well, after being in several RVs with a FWS, 3 slides will do just fine. So much so, I'll be picking up my 2015 Newmar Dutch Star this Saturday with the FWS.
That's exciting! CONGRAtulations!!!
Old 04-29-2015, 06:24 AM   #12

I've met and talked with two owners with the FWS. One loved it, the other said it was nothing but a headache. I've been in new coach's at RV shows with them, and they look awesome. I guess it's like anything else, if it works correctly...great. If not....not so great. Maybe a little more time is needed to perfect the engineering.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 06:36 AM   #13

One thing to take in consideration is weight.... I would not buy a full wall slide that has to many heavy items on the same slide. For example, I will not buy one with a fridge and the washer and dryer on the same slide... it would be better if there were no appliance on the slides at all, just furniture.
Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 07:51 AM   #14

I've been shopping for a 43-45’ class A for full-timing. I won’t consider a FWS.

I’m skeptical of the structural integrity of having such a large opening along the entire length of the coach. Seems with all the twisting & torquing that goes on over the lifetime of the coach, that there will be problems. Just a gut feel. Also consider that Entegra tried the FWS (early 2015 models) and abandoned the idea after only a few coaches… and (I believe) Bob Tiffin has sworn to never build one. I guess time will tell.

Visually, I prefer a break between the front of the coach & the bedroom. Don’t want visitors gazing into my bedroom. I know there’s a wide door there, but seems a bit cumbersome.

I tried doing a square footage comparison between the Newmar 4503/4553 (FWS) & the 4568 (quad slide). I measured as precisely as I could using a ruler on the website floor plans. I couldn’t tell a nickel’s worth of difference between the two.

Tags
slide