Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2019, 10:24 AM   #85

Georgie Boy Owners Club
Cool How small is too small for fulltiming?

So the DW and I have discussed the issue of the size of coach that we will need.

Well, the bottom line is to first get rid of a lifetime of accumulated stuff. We need to get down to the bare minimums.

I want to see my house practically empty before I select a coach. Can we live in 38' or 40'. Do we really need the extra 2' of a 42' coach and why?

Let's face it. How many pieces of underwear do I really need to carry with me while full timing? May be two? Actually, do I really even need to have underwear while fulltiming? I say, only the bare minimums.
cucotx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2019, 10:34 AM   #86

Country Coach Owners Club
You can live in a 36 with 4 slides or even 3. Every two foot makes it more comfortable. Like boats, RV's and most matters in life, compromises are made whichever way you go.
Kodiakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 10:43 AM   #87

Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiakan View Post
You can live in a 36 with 4 slides or even 3. Every two foot makes it more comfortable. Like boats, RV's and most matters in life, compromises are made whichever way you go.
I can do it in 36'. The question is going to be, can the wife?

The answer could be to fulltime without the wife! Ooops, the wife saw that I typed this. Nevermind!
cucotx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 03:01 PM   #88

Cucotx,

Our first coach was a 42' 2008 Monaco Dynasty with a tag axle that we ordered from the factory in 2007. Yes, it was the first year of the particulate filter and we never had any problem with it in almost 70,000 miles of driving in 7.5 yrs.

A 42' coach is really a nice length because we had the stackable washer and dryer, 3 air-conditioning units along with a king-size bed (all of that takes up space). Any shorter and everything gets squished up or deleted. I had to have a king bed!

Our current coach is our 2nd motorhome. We moved up to 45'. The extra square footage is taken up partially with the extra 1/2 bath which I really like.

The advantages of a tag axle is that you get a solid footing with 8 tires and extra set of brakes because of the third axle! It also gives you more CCC (cargo carrying capacity).

Another advantage, is that you have an extra set of tires (axle) in the back so going over bumps are soften (like speed bumps). I'm sure it softens other type of imperfections in the road.

We have traveled 121,000 miles in 12 yrs. including both coaches. We have always fit where ever we wanted to go.

Good luck! Safe travels!
Mark
Mr.Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 11:08 AM   #89

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cucotx View Post
So the DW and I have discussed the issue of the size of coach that we will need.

Well, the bottom line is to first get rid of a lifetime of accumulated stuff. We need to get down to the bare minimums.

I want to see my house practically empty before I select a coach. Can we live in 38' or 40'. Do we really need the extra 2' of a 42' coach and why?

Let's face it. How many pieces of underwear do I really need to carry with me while full timing? May be two? Actually, do I really even need to have underwear while fulltiming? I say, only the bare minimums.
I suggest you go to a dealers, ditch the salesman and go through as many coaches as you can both new and used. Dealers with a large stock and varied brands of units on the lot are the best. All you are looking at is floor plans and amenities. Then you make a list of must haves, want to haves and nice to haves. Then look for a coach that fits most of the boxes on your list. That will determine size and size will determine fuel.

We looked for things like in no particular order:
-comfortable chairs (high back)
- tv not above eye level
- all electric (we like the induction burners and have no issues with the convection oven)
- king size bed
- large shower
- bath and a half (don't scoff, it is a great feature)
- large countertop (we both like to cook and many times will help each other)
- stackable washer dryer (this makes doable one pair of shorts and no ginch)
- table and chairs (more comfortable than a dinette IMO)
- storage (will depend on the coach you buy - more does not hurt you)
- aqua hot is great.
- residential fridge (would be really reluctant to go back to an absorption type)

While we were sitting in the various coaches we would consider how we would be able to use the space if we were "house bound" for several days due to inclement weather. It does happen and will you have space to coexist? Can you lay out a hobby for several days? Can one watch a game while the other watches a movie? Can you prepare and eat a meal comfortably? Can you operate on different schedules and not disturb the other?

Good luck with your search and acquisition of the perfect unit for your needs.
Old 05-15-2019, 11:31 AM   #90

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cucotx View Post

Keep in mind, that more trade up than down in size, so have never figured the need for smaller.
With us and even though not full timers, we just wanted the largest thing going, without a tag and one that would include 1 1/2 baths.
Must haves, foremost, was for a side radiator, which most always, takes care of everything else, in and out and from top to bottom, without having to make a detailed list of wants and especially for quality items.
If we were to be going full time, then we would have gave a lot of consideration to a 45ft tag model with a tag.
Not only do I have a lot of underwear on board, but bicycle parts and whatnot parts and tools, as well. Also coolers for fridge failure backup, so plenty of space, when you consider, that most of this could be thrown out and just as long as you don't mind going to the store to buy, when you already could've had, what you needed, out in Death Valley somewhere.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, fulltime