Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2013, 03:54 PM   #1

Fulltime Maintainance?

I'm about to leave on a 2 month tour of the U.S. with my band in our (new to us) 1997 Beaver Patriot. The tour will be approx. 18,000 miles. It's in almost new condition and we want to keep it that way!

Other than an oil change every 10k miles, what are the basic things we need to check at every gas stop?

What should we schedule for maintenance on the road?

Thanks!!!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2013, 03:58 PM   #2

Jayco Owners Club
Took a trip like that in our 97 Winsor and never put a dime in it. Stayed in 85 camp grounds and put 12k miles on our tow car. Best thing to do at a gas stop is to clean the windshield.
RWeigant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 03:59 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Be sure to check the handle on the pump at the "gas stop" - you want the green one - for diesel for starters.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 04:01 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
We did 5 weeks and 7k miles last year and no maintenance at all on ours except when we decided to have a oil change and transmission fluid change along with checking things out at W.W. Williams in MI. Thom's job at the time paid for the oil change. Cost was quite a bit but they found a few other things and fixed some without extra charges. We had not had the coach for very long and not sure when it had really been done the last time so it was peace of mind for us.
Old 09-11-2013, 04:33 PM   #5

Ok, great to hear. We just stumbled into buying a Class A. We were looking for Sprinters, which we have rented in the past, but really fell in love with the idea of always being at home no matter where we were.

But now that we have it, it's a bit overwhelming. Luckily this amazing forum is here! I'm sure I'll be asking all kinds of dumb questions for the next two months, haha.

Actually the "stupidest things you've done" thread is helping me with many cautionary tales.
Old 09-11-2013, 05:07 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you have not as yet - take it for service - and have them give it a look see. Oil and filter change, lube etc - there is usually some inclusive deal with a 50 or 70 point check list that's not too expensive and have them tell you the service intervals. Some things are 1 year or xxxxx miles, some are 3 years - etc. It depends on what you have. If you have manuals, it's I'm there. If not - lots of info specific to what you have is online. You have a lot riding on getting where you're going - so I suggest a professional once over to get you started on a baseline.

Ya didn't say what kind of band?
Old 09-11-2013, 05:24 PM   #7

I'll definitely be taking it in for a service before we leave.

We're a 2 piece rock band called One-Eyed Doll.

This is our latest video: Committed by One-Eyed Doll OFFICIAL MUSIC VIDEO - YouTube
RufussSewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:42 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Jack and Meg in reverse roles.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:05 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Be sure to check the handle on the pump at the "gas stop" - you want the green one - for diesel for starters.

The advice to double check to make sure you have the right pump is good.

The suggestion it's the GREEN ONE not so much.
Check the nozzles at a BP station,.. they are all Green, Both Gas and Diesel all green, they are trying to convince us they are a "Green" company (WHich by the way I do not believe for an instant)

To the O/P.. The above.. Just routine maintenance, Note that for what you are doing you use the "long drive" oil change intervial, you may well not need to do one for 20,000 miles.

Keep an eye on tires, and check you tow gear if towing and things like that.. ASSUME some brat is going to pull a pin on your towed in order to cause an accident.

Also check bolts on the tow gear if you tow.. I'd do (I do) that at campgrounds though, not fuel stops.

This is all routine stuff.. Check tow pins every time you stop and leave the RV.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:00 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
^^^ I haven't been to a BP since they dumped a gajillion gallons of crude in the Gulf. Guess I hadn't gotten the word they've gone green.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:01 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
How many people travelling on the coach? Coach condition aside, I'd be concerned about your condition. You're talking about an average of 300 miles a day, every day, for 60 days straight. You're a two person band. I hope you have at least two extra bodies to share the driving.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:08 AM   #12

Yeah, it's a 5 person crew. One of them is the full time driver. Then a roadie, merch girl and the two of us.

We're also replacing the kitchen table with a bunk bed.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:35 AM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
And then you'll find that that doesn't work at some stations! It's NOT a universal or standard that the diesel pump cover be green.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:40 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
And then you'll find that that doesn't work at some stations! It's NOT a universal or standard that the diesel pump cover be green.
We'll be sure it's diesel, haha.