Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2015, 03:01 PM   #15

National RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I own a business in Pa where we are a conduit to Penndot. (Department of Transportation). Actually we are thankful for the incompetence in that office, because if it weren't for them we would have to close.
We have been told that if they do hire someone who has a 'good work ethic' the others will make sure they don't last long.

Did you know that if you put one hardshell crab in a basket, it will crawl out if you don't put a lid on it. As soon as you put a second one in the basket, you don't need the lid. One will keep the other from getting out of the basket.

Same mentality with government offices. A hard worker makes the others look bad.

And yes Kenny, you hit the nail on the head.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2015, 03:09 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Some of these folks were put in place to make the rest of us look good. If we get rid of them we could be on our own.

Old 03-27-2015, 03:21 PM   #17

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallacerm View Post
I had an experience at the opposite end. In SC the registration renewal is done through the County Treasurer's office to assure property taxes are paid. Last year the property tax on my MH was around $1000. This year the bill was zero. I complained because I didn't want to get nailed with a huge bill when they discovered the error. I was assured that after 12 years age, they quit charging property tax on vehicles. Pretty neat.
In WA we don't pay a property tax on our vehicles, but it did cost us over $23,000 is sales/use tax to register the Magna. One way of the other they'll get your money!

I had trouble registering it too. They needed a weight certificate so I found the original one in the owners packet. Made a copy and took it with me. At first the woman refused to take it because she couldn't see the UVW. It actually showed the calculations for the CCC and she wouldn't accept it because it said "minus UVW" rather than just UVW! She finally went and asked a supervisor about it.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 03:42 PM   #18

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRaider93 View Post
So I just bought a new Entegra Cornerstone in Florida, but I live in Texas so yesterday I went to the county tax office to register it. Finally, after waiting in line for 2+ hours I gave the clerk my paperwork, and she looked totally lost.

I explained that I had bought a new motor home that I needed to register. She gave me a blank stare and said, "motor home? You mean a travel trailer?" Anyway, we went back and forth with me trying to explain what a motor home is (apparently she had never heard of one!!!), when finally the lady working the booth next to us chimed in and told her, "No, it is an RV that you drive!! Just register it!!"

So after all that, she looks at the purchase price on the form and says "Why on earth would you pay that much for an RV?!"

I just thought it was funny that first she didn't know what a motor home was, then she chastised me for spending too much on it! I guess you never know what you'll find at the DMV!!
It seems to be much worse in TX if you bought out of state. I've purchased both in and out of state. Purchase in state was hitch-free-got the tags in the mail without as much as one trip to county clerk. Last MH bought in AZ took three trips to County Clerk's office before finally jumped through all their hoops. If I were a conspiracy nut, I'd think the TX dealers association had something to do with it.

2015 F-150 King Ranch LB 3.5 L twin turbo Ecoboost Toad, Texas Boomers RV Club
FMCA F292298, NRA Benefactor Life Member
dlovitt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 03:47 PM   #19

Ford Super Duty Owner
Here in the backward southern state of AR we almost never have to go into the DMV. We get our tags on the internet. They even have a 2 year registration. We also register one vehicle for about $3.50 because I'm a VET. We just have to show my DD 214 discharge papers.

After 65 we get a hunting/fishing license once (about $25) and it's good for the rest of your life.

Once in a great while there are some perks in this life.

TeJay
Old 03-27-2015, 04:41 PM   #20

Got a new 5r in 1991 and the first year renewal stated we needed a smog cert. took five DMV employees and two offices to finally figure out a trailor has no engine to smog (genny?)
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 06:41 PM   #21

Just bought my MH in Texas, I live in Oklahoma. Took the title and bill of sale to tag office, they ask me how much it weighed, how many tires, and charged me like 3 percent excise tax, $11.00 for title, $26.00 tire fee, $3.00 for the sticker, something for the metal tag. Not sure what all else they charged me for but total for mh tag, title and tax was $750.00. However, when you register any vehicle bought out of state You do have to take it to the tag office so they can verify the VIN on the vehicle matches the VIN on the title. Once registered with Ok. Tax Comm. it never has to go back. And in OK. no special road test or license required for RV even if equipped with air brakes.
Old 03-27-2015, 07:19 PM   #22

1. Ignorance is fleeting, Stupidity is forever.

2. It is very nice to be tolerant, and to make excuses and allow for incompetent and rude behavior from public servants, but it also is counter productive and it enables the decline of our society.

If a person does not know a thing, they are ignorant. If they are then told about it, they now know, and are no longer ignorant. If they choose to not learn from the experience, it is no longer ignorance.

If a person is rude or disrespectful, and are not called on it, they are wrong, but so is the person who allowed it. I am not saying to fight with a boorish person, but educate them instead. Politely offer them the information or the example of how to act in the face of new situations. But, also explain to them that they have a social and professional responsibility to be polite and competent.

As far as the comments about competent and productive people being driven out of groups of government employees, I agree it happens. But, if we do not fight it, we are endorsing it.

If I find a competent and productive public employee, I make it a point to present that fact to their supervisor. If I find myself being mistreated or serviced by an incompetent person, I point it out to them and give them a chance to correct their behavior, and if they do, good! If they do not, again, I bring it to the supervisor.

I believe that it is essential that I am polite during this whole process. It cannot end well if I complain about unprofessional or incompetent behavior that is being paid for with my tax dollars, if I am unprofessional or incompetent myself.

Maybe it is just the dad thing in me. If I fed my kids pizza and cookies all the time, they may like it, but will not learn how to eat well. If I tolerate them being rude and ignorant, they may like it more than when I correct their behavior, or hold them accountable for their actions, but if I do not prepare them to be productive adults, aren't I then producing tomorrow's DMV workforce?
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 08:43 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreaminBig View Post
BOY O BOY, these tales of DMV nightmares makes me glad I live in po-dunkville. If I had to wait more than 15 or 20 minutes, I'd be riled. And usually our girls know us by sight and remember our vehicles! Hand them our papers, hand them a check, they hand us our tags. In and out in time to go to lunch!! LOL
This is exactly as it is here. Only there is usually a conversation about their and our favorite places to go camping and how the kids are doing!I can't fathom a 2+ hours standing in line!!!
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 11:19 PM   #24

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlovitt View Post
It seems to be much worse in TX if you bought out of state. I've purchased both in and out of state. Purchase in state was hitch-free-got the tags in the mail without as much as one trip to county clerk. Last MH bought in AZ took three trips to County Clerk's office before finally jumped through all their hoops. If I were a conspiracy nut, I'd think the TX dealers association had something to do with it.
nope
i think its the city or county....
we live in a sparse human occupancy county and things go smooth
everyone knows everyone.

they even let me renew the rv for three years...a whole 9 dollars
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 07:12 AM   #25

Well, when I registered my Newmar Dutch Star in Maryland, my new title showed it as being an Oldsmobile, and that I'd have to get an emissions check every two years. Try getting that kind of FUBAR rectfied. I had to actually take pictures of it to the DMV to prove that it was in fact an RV. I also showed them a service reciept from a Cummins shop to prove it was a diesel. Even after all that they didn't have a clue. I finally demanded a supervisor. Her answer was that the person handling the paperwork was new. I explained the inconvenience of having to prove the incompetence of the clerk to over come their ineptitude. To make an even longer story short, the supervisor eventually took care of it for us.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 06:21 PM   #26

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerboatr View Post
nope
i think its the city or county....
we live in a sparse human occupancy county and things go smooth
everyone knows everyone.

they even let me renew the rv for three years...a whole 9 dollars
i was talking about new registration; not renewal.

2015 F-150 King Ranch LB 3.5 L twin turbo Ecoboost Toad, Texas Boomers RV Club
FMCA F292298, NRA Benefactor Life Member
dlovitt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 05:03 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
Our DMV has trouble understanding that there is a special license for an RV over 26,000 pounds.
I'm quite close to you, and my experience at the DMV was similar. The clerk had no idea what I was talking about, and claimed there is no such thing as an RV endorsement, and no need for one. Finally talked to the supervisor who new what to do and made up the proper permit for me. Then I got a call back from the supervisor the next day apologizing profusely, saying there was a problem with the permit, and asking if could I come back to the office. She explained she used the wrong validation stamp and had to do it all over. At least this time, she filled out all of the paperwork herself and all I had to do was sign it.

Trying to schedule the road test was a nightmare, but the test itself was a much better experience than what you reported. Two inspectors were working the line of cars, and one of them skipped ahead and took me: said the other inspector would have no idea how to handle this test (everybody else in line were teenagers with their parents.) After pulling away from the curb and taking the first turn (I was feeling nervous like those teenagers taking their first road) the inspector noticed the key tag on my key chain which had a picture of a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. He asked about it, and we spent the rest of the time talking about dogs and dog shows, with an occasional turn left or right comment. He was super nice, made me forget I was taking a test, and after a few minutes he said it was obvious I had been driving this for a while, knew what I was doing, and he had seen enough. It was a short drive through the neighborhood and that was it.

You get all kinds -- those who haven't a clue and don't care, those who haven't a clue but are trying, and those who really know what they're doing and have a great attitude. I ran into them all while trying to get that R endorsement. There are good people working at government agencies, it's just that they can be distressingly hard to find at times...
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 05:29 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
A bit off topic but you folks started it. As a government worker from Michigan,retired, I take exception to all the bad mouthing. We worked hard when we had to and worked at a steady pace when no emergencies. I had a snow plow crew that worked their butts off to make the roads safe for the motoring public. My phone would ring at 4 AM and the voice said "get your crews out it's snowing". Salt the roads for rush hour and plow and salt all day. Come quiting time it would still be snowing so we stay all night. The roads finally get cleared off about noon. Can we go home? NO. It's our regular work day and the shift doesn't end until 4 PM. So a government crew working a 36 hour shift. And we did this many times in the winter. Of course we got payed OT but that didn't help with the loss of sleep or family time missed. Did I mention we had to work Christmas day...many times. So you government employee bashers can just BITE ME.