Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-31-2015, 05:28 PM   #29
Originally Posted by t55watson View Post
A bit off topic but you folks started it. As a government worker from Michigan,retired, I take exception to all the bad mouthing. We worked hard when we had to and worked at a steady pace when no emergencies. I had a snow plow crew that worked their butts off to make the roads safe for the motoring public. My phone would ring at 4 AM and the voice said "get your crews out it's snowing". Salt the roads for rush hour and plow and salt all day. Come quiting time it would still be snowing so we stay all night. The roads finally get cleared off about noon. Can we go home? NO. It's our regular work day and the shift doesn't end until 4 PM. So a government crew working a 36 hour shift. And we did this many times in the winter. Of course we got payed OT but that didn't help with the loss of sleep or family time missed. Did I mention we had to work Christmas day...many times. So you government employee bashers can just BITE ME.
How about the phone call at 3 in the morning where the caller starts yelling "I'm going to talk real slow since you are a state worker, so get your #2 pencil out and write this d...That is as far as he got before I hung up on him!

Did you know we had to dye our salt blue (is there any other color in Kentucky?) just so the populaces would see that the road was salted and stop calling and yelling/cursing at us for not salting "Their road"?

I know I know it is but like t55watson said, you started it.

Good Luck, Be Safe and Above All, Don't Forget To Have Fun
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, being pushed by a 2009 Honda CRV
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2015, 10:36 PM   #30
Ford Super Duty Owner
Many of us worked thankless jobs because we just did. I taught HS for 35 years and the DW was an RN. We almost never had a holiday together. She either was exhausted or was at work on all the major holidays and there was no OT. It was just another day on the job. People are sick on holidays too.
Yes as a teacher I had 12 weeks off but I also only got paid for 9 months work. So every Summer it was get a job and I did.

Many bash government workers because there seems to be no way to get rid of the bad eggs. The UNIONS protect them to a fault. Yes it happens in the teaching profession like in Chicago and NY. In AR we are a right to work state so no protection from any union.
We will all have to answer for our good and bad actions now or later.

Our DMV folks can be nice or not. Fortunately we do all of ours from the internet so we don't have to go in except rarely.

TeJay (Tim) Auto Instructor 35 yrs (4-yrs USAF) Liz: RN/ WBGO 2014 Vista 30T/ F-53/ CHF/5-Star/Koni/Centramatics * Bella- Golden/Cocker mix & Louie-The cat / All Retired
TeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 03:07 PM   #31
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
I taught HS for 35 years and the DW was an RN.....
Many bash government workers because there seems to be no way to get rid of the bad eggs. The UNIONS protect them to a fault. Yes it happens in the teaching profession like in Chicago and NY. In AR we are a right to work state so no protection from any union.
We will all have to answer for our good and bad actions now or later.

Our DMV folks can be nice or not. Fortunately we do all of ours from the internet so we don't have to go in except rarely.

We do appreciate your teaching. Tks from the parents especially me. "I feel your pain" no pun intended. I think I originally coined that phrase (cant prove it though)
Anyway, I've never have had any problems with DMV in my area. They have always been polite and very professional. We are also a right to work state now.
Don't judge. My life is an encyclopedia as yours is.

Happy traveling.
Mikey (USN retired, Radioman)
mikensallyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 03:46 PM   #32
What's the cheapest state in which to register? I hear Florida doesn't have personal property tax. We plan on being full time and of NFA!! Lol
Rocky Shores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 07:17 PM   #33

Originally Posted by LeeOts View Post
I have a different take on these tales of DMV ineptitude. I feel lucky to have enough money in retirement to own my home, motorhome and two vehicles. I'm especially fortunate to have a loving wife and an obnoxious cat who thinks he's my BFF.

Whenever I run into those who aren't as clever or intelligent as I think they should be, I try to understand how they might not have had all the advantages I've had. The person in DMV may be a new hire who has never owned, or aspired to own, a motorhome.

Bottom line, people in public-facing roles such as DMV, customer service, wait staff, receptionists, etc often have a thankless job that requires them to put on a "happy face," regardless of their level of training, experience, skills or insight. I try to just smile back and think, "There but for fate, go I."
I really like the way you think, Lee.

Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 07:53 PM   #34

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Fl is a cheap place to register a motorhome. Pay the sales tax once, about 6 1/2 %, and then annual registration is about $60 or so.
Revolution LE 38X C9 Cat
2011 Scion TC toad
1985 KLR 600 as a backup...
krivanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 08:06 PM   #35
Winnebago Owners Club
A small tip re registration "pain ease"

In Dallas, TX when a trip to DMV was unavoidable, I was advised not to go early, but to arrive about 20 minutes before closing time as there was almost always a line waiting to get into the bldg at "opening" time ..... lots of folks wanting to be the "early bird". The tipster told me that when the door closes, a lot of seasoned/expert help comes from the "back room" so all the employees can get finished and leave for home on time, if possible. It worked for me...... 20 minutes or so and I was history.

I have since moved to the Denver area.....the same seems to hold true. I agree with other posters ..... that the wait times are much, much less in most small towns/rural counties. In CO though, you must register in the county of residence ..... may be the norm, dunno.

Just FWIW.........

No MH for me (yet) so I may find that MH registration is "unavoidable" pain and there is no "magic bullet".

Safe travels........... Ed S.
youracman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 06:58 AM   #36
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
In Vermont the process seems easier than many that I've read about in this thread. Our tax rate, one time only, is 6% of the purchase price and if you trade or sell one then you get that amount as a credit towards the new(er) one. Registration fee is $70 per year or $122 for 2 years. No special license required for any type of MH. Years ago I paid $10.00 for the privilege of having a Veteran plate. That was a one time fee and I get to use it on both cars, motorcycle and the MH.

A number of years ago a trip to the DMV was an experience but they have since increased the number of employees significantly. I have been able to catch one particular employee a couple of times and when the discussion gets to the Veteran plate he immediately thanks me for my service and tells me about his families service. In short I'm happy with the fees and am treated in a manner I'm content with. That said Monday mornings is not a good choice of when to visit.
If you have friends who make you laugh, spend lots of time with them.
2008 Winnebago Sightseer 30B

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 01:25 PM   #37
Winnebago Owners Club
In Alberta they have privatized DMV so there are a goodly number of choices to register MV. We pay federal 5% gst on RV's when we purchase from a dealer, no tax when purchased from private sale. All trailers are licensed for term you own them without need for annual renewals. MH are annual renewal @ $80/yr. The biggy here though is- if you purchase motor vehicle from outside Alberta you have to have an Out Of Province inspection done by a certified inspection facility. This is usually a license for them to print money.
2002 Monaco Diplomat 36PBD, Avalanche toad, Glastron MX175 , X5 BMW, Almost enough toys, 3 dogs. 1 longtime wife(48 yrs)
POPPASMURF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 03:07 PM   #38
Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
TeJay... I also taught high school (33 years). I disagree that the unions are the cause of bad teachers. Who hired these people in the first place? The administrators need to do their job and weed out bad teachers as soon as possible. A person who is incompetent is obvious very quickly. Get rid of them! The unions did not hire these people. I saw this happen firsthand as a chairperson and coordinator who sat in on interviews. I had some input but as a teacher, I had no say in who was hired. I remember when my wife was a new teacher. Her principal observed her about 30 times in the first few months. Most of these observations were short and she was given a brief note of feedback. She asked him what was
wrong, and he told her "I just doing my job. I need to see if you are doing your job correctly" If all managers did this (giving feedback positive and negative) workers would soon learn what was expected of them. Also the ones that didn't respond would be fired. Poor workers exist in the private sector also. At the DMV I go to, the clerks are polite and try to help you if there's a problem. I have seen less than helpful workers at stores, doctor's offices and the like. I try not to stereotype people just because I had a bad experience at a particular state office, school, or store.

2016 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV
LI-Camper is offline   Reply With Quote