Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2015, 07:25 AM   #1

Funny DMV story

So I just bought a new Entegra Cornerstone in Florida, but I live in Texas so yesterday I went to the county tax office to register it. Finally, after waiting in line for 2+ hours I gave the clerk my paperwork, and she looked totally lost.

I explained that I had bought a new motor home that I needed to register. She gave me a blank stare and said, "motor home? You mean a travel trailer?" Anyway, we went back and forth with me trying to explain what a motor home is (apparently she had never heard of one!!!), when finally the lady working the booth next to us chimed in and told her, "No, it is an RV that you drive!! Just register it!!"

So after all that, she looks at the purchase price on the form and says "Why on earth would you pay that much for an RV?!"

I just thought it was funny that first she didn't know what a motor home was, then she chastised me for spending too much on it! I guess you never know what you'll find at the DMV!!
RedRaider93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2015, 07:58 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
She must be the County Court Clerks sister-in-law. Nepotism rules!😇

FMCA Local Chapter Secretary - Bay Area TravelerS (BATS)
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 08:22 AM   #3

As you learned, there is nothing lower than the level of competence at most DMV offices.

Even duct tape can't fix stupid....but it will muffle the sound.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 08:53 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
You should show it to her! That would REALLY blow her mind!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 09:30 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post

ROFL!!! Haven't heard this in years....
Rikmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 11:51 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Great story. Shows what the intellect of some of the people that the DMV hires. Lol. GO Tech. My bro lives in Lubbock any my nephew is Tech alumni. We always go to the Lady Raider games when we're in town.
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 07:25 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd788snipe View Post
great story. Shows what the intellect of some of the people that the dmv hires. Lol. Go tech. My bro lives in lubbock any my nephew is tech alumni. We always go to the lady raider games when we're in town.
raider power!!!!
Old 03-27-2015, 07:41 AM   #8

Trying to register any vehicle is a PITA here but motorhomes seem to present major problems for us. The first hurdle we had when trying to register our Ventana was getting them to recognize "Ventana" as a model so the outrageous fee for the tag could be generated & this is in the state where Newmars are made.
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 09:36 AM   #9

I have a different take on these tales of DMV ineptitude. I feel lucky to have enough money in retirement to own my home, motorhome and two vehicles. I'm especially fortunate to have a loving wife and an obnoxious cat who thinks he's my BFF.

Whenever I run into those who aren't as clever or intelligent as I think they should be, I try to understand how they might not have had all the advantages I've had. The person in DMV may be a new hire who has never owned, or aspired to own, a motorhome.

Bottom line, people in public-facing roles such as DMV, customer service, wait staff, receptionists, etc often have a thankless job that requires them to put on a "happy face," regardless of their level of training, experience, skills or insight. I try to just smile back and think, "There but for fate, go I."
LeeOts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 09:41 AM   #10

BOY O BOY, these tales of DMV nightmares makes me glad I live in po-dunkville. If I had to wait more than 15 or 20 minutes, I'd be riled. And usually our girls know us by sight and remember our vehicles! Hand them our papers, hand them a check, they hand us our tags. In and out in time to go to lunch!! LOL
DreaminBig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 12:57 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeOts View Post
I have a different take on these tales of DMV ineptitude. I feel lucky to have enough money in retirement to own my home, motorhome and two vehicles. I'm especially fortunate to have a loving wife and an obnoxious cat who thinks he's my BFF.

Whenever I run into those who aren't as clever or intelligent as I think they should be, I try to understand how they might not have had all the advantages I've had. The person in DMV may be a new hire who has never owned, or aspired to own, a motorhome.

Bottom line, people in public-facing roles such as DMV, customer service, wait staff, receptionists, etc often have a thankless job that requires them to put on a "happy face," regardless of their level of training, experience, skills or insight. I try to just smile back and think, "There but for fate, go I."
You make very good points. Humility and gratitude are always good traits to have.
Old 03-27-2015, 01:26 PM   #12

Our DMV has trouble understanding that there is a special license for an RV over 26,000 pounds. We have probably something like 5 DMV offices in our county. First off, the only office that seems to know that you need a special license is the one in our town. You have to go in and stop at the info desk who in turn will call over a supervisor. She will then schedule you for an unscheduled appointment for the road test because the computer system can't handle an RV road test. They will issue you a permit that does not require you to have someone with the proper endorsement with you for any time other than when you go for your road test. Why? I have absolutely no idea!

When you go for the road test the inspector will not be expecting you, remember it is an unscheduled road test, so she will be in foul mood. She will then try to get you to drive on a restricted road and will ding you points if you don't stop the RV to walk around it when she tells you to back up. Once you pass the test you have to return to the same DMV because none of the other ones know how to process the paperwork.
Old 03-27-2015, 01:30 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Send a message via MSN to KennyGolub
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
As you learned, there is nothing lower than the level of competence at most DMV offices.

Just wait to you have to deal with these folks in regard to "Affordable Health Care".
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 01:44 PM   #14

I had an experience at the opposite end. In SC the registration renewal is done through the County Treasurer's office to assure property taxes are paid. Last year the property tax on my MH was around $1000. This year the bill was zero. I complained because I didn't want to get nailed with a huge bill when they discovered the error. I was assured that after 12 years age, they quit charging property tax on vehicles. Pretty neat.
wallacerm is offline   Reply With Quote