RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2019, 06:31 PM   #1

Furnace Filter Location???

Hey all. I have a 2000 Fleetwood Expedition 34í pusher. Canít locate the furnace filter. Must be one somewhere. AC filters are overhead and obvious but cannot find a furnace filter. Any advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks and travel safely.

Robert

Roadhogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2019, 07:09 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhogger View Post
Hey all. I have a 2000 Fleetwood Expedition 34í pusher. Canít locate the furnace filter. Must be one somewhere. AC filters are overhead and obvious but cannot find a furnace filter. Any advice would be most appreciated.

Robert

You can't find one because there isn't one, no furnace filters in RVs.

Old 10-20-2019, 07:36 PM   #3

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
You can't find one because there isn't one, no furnace filters in RVs.
I must have a rare motorcoach, my furnace filter is a std 20"x25" located in a small area just under my washer/dryer...

OP, look for the return air grill on floor, may be under a piece of furniture, probably just above where the furnace is mounted outside...
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 08:01 PM   #4

From what I have seen Furnace filters are only found in newer high end 5th wheels and MH.
Old 10-20-2019, 08:42 PM   #5

Aren't furnace filters only used for heat pumps? In a pusher, the heat pump is in a basement compartment under the floor on the passenger side rear. The furnace filter for that is in the bed stand. For RVs with propane furnaces, I am pretty sure IllKrob is correct...there isn't a filter for those.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 08:47 PM   #6

Location: Wolf Creek dam area, Ky. Cardinal Center Camp Ground, Marengo Oh. or on the road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhogger View Post

Robert
Where is your furnace ?
Is it propane?
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 11:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
Aren't furnace filters only used for heat pumps? In a pusher, the heat pump is in a basement compartment under the floor on the passenger side rear. The furnace filter for that is in the bed stand. For RVs with propane furnaces, I am pretty sure IllKrob is correct...there isn't a filter for those.
Heat pumps and A/C is the same piece of equipment. in heat mode the A/C compressor runs. There is a reversing valve to reverse the flow of the gas Causing the evaporator and condensing coils to trade places.

One filter for heat and cool. I do not think they wold install a heat pump for heat only but I have been wrong befor.
Old 10-21-2019, 12:13 AM   #8

A 2000 vintage propane furnace should not have a filter. The ceiling a/c or heat pumps must have filters or the coils will plug up. The floor mounted heaters don’t have filters but it would be a good idea as they sure collect a lot of dust on the heat exchanger and blower wheel.
Old 10-21-2019, 09:04 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The propane furnace needs the air flow across the heat exchanger to keep from over heating. A filter would interfere with this and cause the furnace to shut d
own.

I installed a filter and because the furnace intake is not sealed off the drawers next to the furnace got full of dust because the air was coming in around them.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 10:30 AM   #10

speed racer if you choose to place a filter in that furnace I wouldn’t use a pleated filter as they do reduce air flow. A fiberglass filter is a lot less restrictive and change it often so it doesn’t restrict the air flow much. As you suggest a filter can overheat the heat exchanger which isn’t a good thing. I don’t use a filter in my furnace since it wasn’t designed for one.
Old 10-21-2019, 10:47 AM   #11

If you don't have one and are thinking of adding one I would recommend trying to make one in the shape of a "V" with metal mesh for support. The bigger the "V" the more filter area and also the less restrictive compared to just putting in a flat rectangle like used on the overhead ACs/heat pumps.
I have a dog that sheds like crazy so it's been on my mind to make something for mine.
Old 10-21-2019, 10:57 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We had a 1989 Avion silver and it had a furnace filter. I have not seen one since.

Ken
Old 10-21-2019, 11:53 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Generally RVs include furnace filters only when the air return is in the floor, where dust and dirt can and will roll in. If the furnace air return is above the floor level (as most are), they don't bother. Neither Atwood nor Suburban specify or recommend filters for their furnaces in their installation instructions.

Typically the RV furnace is behind a grill of some sort that allows air to pass through to the furnace box and the actual air intake is in the side(s) or the furnace itself. The grill is enough to prevent debris or dust bunnies from flowing in and the furnace isn't bothered by small particles.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 10:13 PM   #14

Thanks all for your input. Don’t think me gas furnace has a filter. Seems odd though.

Roadhogger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, cat, furnace