Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-03-2014, 07:45 PM   #1

Furnace filters?

I have a 1999 Damon Intruder, but the furnace is similar on other coaches. My question is, does the furnace require a filter and if yes where does it go? The air inlet on mine is under the fridge, outlets on the floor.
charliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2014, 02:58 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Filter not required on furnace.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 05:14 AM   #3

Thanks RV Wizard
Old 11-04-2014, 05:59 AM   #4

I'm a HVAC contractor, not very familiar with your furnace. I would recommend all furnaces with a blower have a filter, the motor and the heat exchanger will last considerably longer if you use a filter. It may be possible to retrofit your intake to hold a filter. A local HVAC shop could help you with it. Also many people don't know that you can order any size filter to help fit you application. If you post a picture I mite be able to give you some ideas.
71camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 06:05 AM   #5

Thanks 71 Camaro, I think I should be able to come up with something. Would there be any concern about the filter causing to much restriction? The fan runs on 12 volts.
Old 11-04-2014, 06:10 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71camaro View Post
I'm a HVAC contractor, not very familiar with your furnace. I would recommend all furnaces with a blower have a filter, the motor and the heat exchanger will last considerably longer if you use a filter. It may be possible to retrofit your intake to hold a filter. A local HVAC shop could help you with it. Also many people don't know that you can order any size filter to help fit you application. If you post a picture I mite be able to give you some ideas.
Could you show us some pictures of how you did yours please?
Old 11-04-2014, 06:23 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Wizard View Post
Filter not required on furnace.

AND, (by Suberban, the maker of my furnace), NOT RECOMMENDED.
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 06:47 AM   #8

I'm new to rving and would like to no why they aren't not recommended ? The motors in furnaces are air cooled which after a short amount of time become clogged with dirt over heat and fail, the blower wheel will get filled with dirt and get out of balance which will make the bearings in the motor fail. The heat exchanger loses it's ability to cool properly, which will lead to decreased efficiency and cracks. A properly sized filter will do more good than harm to a furnace.
Old 11-04-2014, 06:55 AM   #9

Well, if you were in the furnace selling business wouldn't you want a steady market for replacement furnaces and parts, in addition to OEM RV manufacturers?
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 06:55 AM   #10

There is a filter media call poly blue, which has very little restriction that you can try. Many people use a 3m pleated filter which can cause over heating of your furnace. there is many types of filters available that in my opinion will help filter the air going into your furnace without causing harm. I will do some research on this subject.
Old 11-04-2014, 06:59 AM   #11

"Well, if you were in the furnace selling business wouldn't you want a steady market for replacement furnaces and parts, in addition to OEM RV manufacturers?" That seams to be what there plan is. Just so all of you know, no residential furnace comes with a filter, we have to add them at the time of installation.
Old 11-04-2014, 07:02 AM   #12

This particular manufacture of your furnace mite be assuming you are not responsible enough to change the filter on your furnace, therefore doesn't recommend one. A dirty filter also can cause serious problems with your furnace.
Old 11-04-2014, 07:07 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
My Fleetwood has filters on each of the air intakes... I haven't cleaned them yet (only had this coach for a year) but it looks like you just back out the screws, wash off the filter media, and re-install.
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 07:07 AM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Staying at KOA Salome AZ. Thru The Summer, & Loving It..
Send a message via AIM to Bilgerat
I looked in my Fleetwood manual, could not find where I read the warning, I have a HydroFlame furnace, and I read a warning "Not To Use" a filter due to obstructed air flow which could effect the proper safe operation of your appliance.
I was concerned as when I first bought the unit there were no filters.
Best advice so far is call Suburban.

Tags
furnace