Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2014, 09:57 AM   #1

Furnace not working!

Hi Everyone,

I was hoping to post here first before starting to figure out what's going on with my furnace. I have searched all over Google and not getting any good answers.

My furnace in my 2004 Forest River Georgetown is not working. No blower or anything. I have checked the thermostat and voltages seem to be good. I was wondering if there may be a separate on/off switch that I should check on the blower itself? I believe this is the Model of my unit 57912.531 (Duo Therm). AC works and everything else from the stat just no furnace.

I believe LP is fine but I can't get the blower to start so I know this is the major concern.

Any help is greatly appreciated! I have been slowly getting everything worked out on the rig and this is the last thing I need to figure out.

Thanks in advance!!
ekrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2014, 11:20 AM   #2

If you don't have a manual for your furnace you might try this trouble shooting guide.

How to Troubleshoot a Duo Therm Furnace | eHow
AKJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 11:38 AM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
The problem probably isn't at the thermostat, but at the furnace. Check for power at the furnace. With the cover off, have someone turn furnace on at the thermostat and listen. The fan should start first, then the moving air pushes on a paddle that switches on the gas burner. If your fan isn't turning on, make sure it's getting 12 v to the fan motor. Duo-Therm parts are hard to come by, you might end up with a new furnace if the motor is bad, they aren't serviceable.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 11:57 AM   #4

I used to own a 92 Dutchmen class c and the furnace motor died. After a Google search I found a UTube video on how to change it. I happened to be near Spokane Wa at the time and was able to find the motor and replace it myself-it wasn't hard. May be different on yours.
Old 10-06-2014, 12:27 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Good site for manuals and detailed troubleshooting, for all appliances..
Service Documents and Manuals
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 12:34 PM   #6

I close the LP valve when it's going to be parked for several months. Is the valve for your LP open?
Old 10-06-2014, 02:01 PM   #7

Even without LP the motor should run. After the sail switch confirms the air is moving it will allow the LP to flow to the igniter.
Old 10-06-2014, 02:07 PM   #8

Going to take a look at AKJohns link right now. The LP is fine as stove, water heater are working. The blower doesnt kick on at all so maybe a power issue. All my batts are good as I just went through some trouble with the converter and took care of that.

I believe my furnace is under the fridge behind a wooden panel, does this sound right? Also I can't get to the blower as it is mounted in the back away from me. It should be safe to move the unit around? Should I disconnect the LP tube from it first?
ekrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 02:26 PM   #9
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekrish View Post
Hi Everyone,

I was hoping to post here first before starting to figure out what's going on with my furnace. I have searched all over Google and not getting any good answers.

My furnace in my 2004 Forest River Georgetown is not working. No blower or anything. I have checked the thermostat and voltages seem to be good. I was wondering if there may be a separate on/off switch that I should check on the blower itself? I believe this is the Model of my unit 57912.531 (Duo Therm). AC works and everything else from the stat just no furnace.

I believe LP is fine but I can't get the blower to start so I know this is the major concern.

Any help is greatly appreciated! I have been slowly getting everything worked out on the rig and this is the last thing I need to figure out.

Thanks in advance!!
Our traveling companions had the same problem last year in their Coachmen while we were in Colorado. We checked all the switches, connections, thermostat, and sail switch in the blower compartment. If I remember correctly, there was a small on/off switch inside the furnace compartment on theirs. I do not know what brand it was.

It turned out to be a blown control circuit board in the furnace. We ordered a replacement board and it worked fine. Don't know if that's your problem, but it is a possibility.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 02:34 PM   #10

Many of the furnaces must be slid out to work on them on a bench. They are simply skid mounted in place...I do not know if your model is as I have described...but it sounds like it from your description.
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 03:32 PM   #11

I was able to replace mine by opening an exterior door behind the unit.
Old 10-06-2014, 05:07 PM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
Many of the controls, burner tube, etc. are accessible from the door on the outside of the RV. Before replacing the motor, make sure it's not the control board. If the board is bad, the motor won't run, the LP valve won't open, etc.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 07:41 PM   #13

BFlynn is correct. Also my motor did not just fail to run it made a loud squeal prior to dying. After I reinstalled it I found that you need to double check the wiring plugs on the outside and make sure they are tight and not corroded.
Old 11-11-2014, 12:07 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
I had the same type of issue with my front furnace, turned it on, ran for about 5 minutes and quit, wouldn't start up for nothing. Took the outside furnace panel off and started reaching in and wiggling wires to the control board and it started working again, for five minutes and quit. So waited till the next day so I could work in the light. Took out the control board and some connections looked iffy so I replaced a couple connectors, put di-electric grease on the connections and tried again with no luck. Started wiggling things and low and behold I found if I wiggled the main fan relay on the board it would work. Took the back off the board and could see a bad solder joint to the relay so I borrowed a soldering iron from a wonderful neighbour and soldered the joint real good and even touched up the other solder connections to the control relay and it has worked perfect ever since. Might be the same problem and with a little effort and diagnosis you might just be able to fix it yourself.

Good luck!
mdpuff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace