Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2010, 02:13 PM   #1

Furnance Issues Suburban NT 40

I am having some problems with my furnance and no one so far can figure it out and I am quickly becoming an expert!! lol

It starts the blower and lights the burner and burns for a while and then burner shuts down and trys to relight 3 times and never does.

Things I know that should help those knowledgable

Dinosaur Board less than year old and light turns green when blows kicks on and turns red when burner trys to light. Tested was told works

When trying to relight the ignightor does work lots of spark

Thermosat less than year old and has worked all last winter.

New sail switch Last week
New Limit Switch Last Week
new Propane regulator at tank last week

Furnace acts up if plugged in or on batteries

I can shut it off when it does not relight and kick the thermostat back on after all shuts down and will burn for a while.

I am running out of parts to throw at it I think?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2010, 02:48 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi skidworth,
When you replaced the regulator did you notice if any urine colored liquid came out of the regulator? If so, you may have a bad tank of propane. The new regulator may be clogged again.

Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 04:55 PM   #3

I did not It has been filled twice since the swap though
Old 11-30-2010, 05:20 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi skidworth,
When you replaced the regulator did you notice if any urine colored liquid came out of the regulator? If so, you may have a bad tank of propane. The new regulator may be clogged again.
FYI that urine is garlic oil used to oderize the propane. There's a small amount put in otherwise propane has not smell. Sometimes to much may be present and clog things up.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:26 PM   #5

Have you tested the following?
D. Burner Ignites But Shuts Off:
1. Check to be certain that flame sensor is over slots in the main burner and that the
main burner flame is burning against the tip of the flame sensor - adjust by bending
the sensor probe. NOTE: Sensor probe should be in the inner blue cone of the
burner flame, approximately 1/4" to 5/16" above the burner.
2. If the burner still goes off and into lockout, check the wire connections at the flame
sensor and the module board.
3. If wire connections are okay, check for continuity through the flame sensor wire.
4. If the continuity of the flame sensor wire is okay, check with microamp meter in
series with the flame sensor and flame sensor wire to be certain the flame sensor is
generating at least seven microamps within seven seconds after the burner is ignited.
Connect the meter as follows: (+) to sensor wire, (-) to sensor probe. Adjust the
position of the sensor probe, check air adjustment and check for carbon deposits on
the sensor probe if the reading is less than seven microamps.
5. When the flame sensor circuit is generating at least seven microamps, but the burner
still goes off and into lockout, replace the module board.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:30 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
The oderant in propane is called" eythyl mericaptain" (spelling?). It is a clear super stinkie liquid. 713 cc's (about 8 oz) to stink up 9,000 gallons in a semi. I use to operate the propane rack at the refinery where i work. It is not oil.TWO CLOSELY CHECKED TESTS EVERYDAY FOR PROPANE ARE FOR CORRISION (NO NEED TO EXPLAIN ABOUT THIS) AND OLIFINS. IF T5HE OLIFINS ARE TO FAR OUT OF SPEC. IT WILL NOT BURN RIGHT,PLUGGING THINGS UP IN THE GAS VALVE.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:55 PM   #7

hi another posiblity wold a solinoid coil on the gas valve going bad i know iv changed alot of failed coils on gas cloths driers that would act up like you decrisbe work a while from a cold start but then openup only to go back to work after cooling off just figured i would add my2cents lee
Old 11-30-2010, 06:11 PM   #8
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
It looks like the flame sensor ceramic is cracked or dirty.

TROUBLE SHOOTER

GAS HEATERS
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:38 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
The oderant in propane is called" eythyl mericaptain" (spelling?). It is a clear super stinkie liquid. 713 cc's (about 8 oz) to stink up 9,000 gallons in a semi. I use to operate the propane rack at the refinery where i work. It is not oil.TWO CLOSELY CHECKED TESTS EVERYDAY FOR PROPANE ARE FOR CORRISION (NO NEED TO EXPLAIN ABOUT THIS) AND OLIFINS. IF T5HE OLIFINS ARE TO FAR OUT OF SPEC. IT WILL NOT BURN RIGHT,PLUGGING THINGS UP IN THE GAS VALVE.
Sorry about the miss information this is what I was told by a service guy yeara ago when we he found a regulator pluged with a yellowish oily substance. Is this yellowish substance the oderant??
Old 12-01-2010, 08:23 AM   #10

is the flame sensor the same as the ignitor up front that sparks to ignite the burner and can you just buy the selonoid on top of the gas valve or do u need to buy the hole valve
Old 12-01-2010, 12:06 PM   #11

Quote:
Dinosaur Board less than year old and light turns green when blows kicks on and turns red when burner trys to light. Tested was told works

and

When trying to relight the ignitor does work lots of spark.
This means:
1. There is power to the board (green light)
2. The board is sending the signal to the gas valve to open. (red light)
3. The board is trying to light the furnace but there is no gas for ignition during retry.

Combined with:
Quote:
It starts the blower and lights the burner and burns for a while and then burner shuts down and trys to relight 3 times and never does.
Means:
When furnace is hot, gas delivery falls off.
3 trys without ignition just means board goes into lock out mode. Reset by power cycling.
Most likely one of the relay coils in the gas valve is opening up when the relay heats up. Once it cools down, they make contact again.
To ensure there is not a bad connection between board and valve, use a voltmeter to measure votage at gas valve during the retry cycle (looking for heat induced open in wiring; could also be weak/broken lan on control board).
Also possible is the gas line is restricted (flow reduction) however not likely as the high gas flow would reduce flow in that case real quick therby shutting down unit.

Dave
Old 01-17-2011, 03:52 PM   #12

Thanks For all you help in ended up needing a new gas valve on the furance