Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-16-2014, 08:41 AM   #1
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thumbs up Future Full timer

Good Morning,

My husband and I are both in our sixties. I will be retiring in 3 years and we are looking at fulltime RV living. We have already decided to purchase a used Class A Diesel. Any ideas out there as to brands we should stay away from or recommendations. Just the two of us and I want a laundry on board. I have looked at a 2001 Damon Ultrasport at $40,000 but have seen one particularly bad report on it. Could that just be a lemon or not?

Would appreciate any info as we are just learning and a patient suggested this site as a great resource.

Thank you, Lynne

beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2014, 08:46 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Hi Lynne and welcome to the forum.

There are lots of good used DPs out there. I'm sure you'll get a wide range of suggestions soon.

Best of luck and we're glad you found us.

Rick, Nancy, Peanut & Lola our Westie Dogs & Bailey the Sheltie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 09:00 AM   #3
RVM#87 / Senior Member

Solo Rvers Club

Lynne and DH glad you're aboard. There's lots of good info in the forums. I'm in somewhat the same position as you, except I'm already retired and waiting to sell my S&B. New or used? Gas or diesel? Length? Amenities besides the W/D? You can spend hours researching, which is a good thing. Best of luck with your decisions. Enjoy your search and the adventures to follow, and be safe.
Have a wonderful day!
Ken (RVM 87)
FT DP Wanna B The journey is the destination!
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 09:42 AM   #4

Glad to have you here with us.

There are several things that will help determine what you should be looking at. Are you planning to travel a lot, or mostly move and stay for months before moving again. Consider the floor plan and make sure it will serve your needs. There are so many options. Go to some dealers to "look". You will get a feel for it. If you are near a large RV show, go. Even though you may not be looking for new there will be great ideas for you to consider in your search.

Good luck, and Happy Trails!!!
Tony & Ruth........... FMCA#F416727
Newmar Dutch Star 4320, Spartan MM Chassis, Cat C9, Jeep Grand Cherokee,with Hemi, hooked up with a Blue Ox Aventa LX, and Brake Buddy.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 09:55 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Lynne! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you guys joined us!

Hope you find the right rig for your needs! We love our Monaco!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 11:33 AM   #6
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thank you all. We will be going away from Michigan first winter and then coming back to sell the house. So, a few months parked somewhere and then plan to go to the Redwood Forest for a month, then Yellowstone for a month, and then start hitting National parks for 2 weeks and back on the road pulling a Prius to run around in. Looking at 37 or 38 feet. Do not like leather at all and want an oven so I can bake pies and cookies still. I have looked at a lot but haven't hit any of the shows in years but do plan to do that.
Old 07-16-2014, 11:50 AM   #7
My feeling is to buy a high end coach from a quality builder such as a Country Coach, Monoco, Travel Supreme, Newmar, Holiday Rambler just to name a few.
06 TS-42-DS04
1040 watts of solar
2014 Jeep Rubicon
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 12:05 PM   #8
Welcome aboard Lynne. Not to SWAY you, but make sure you look at a Newmar product. We LOVE our DP !!!!
2002 Newmar Dutchstar 4097
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel.
ckhenshaw4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 01:57 PM   #9
Welcome to the Forum. As was suggested visit several dealers just to browse. Also attend several RV shows if possible. Most of them will be showing off new units but some will have used units as well. You want to look at as many MH's as possible before you buy. (Also check the Internet and do your research.) You will then decide on what type of floor plan you will want, what options you have to have, DP or gas, etc. This is important since you will be fulltiming in the MH.

We did this over the course of 3 years before we decided on buying our 2005 Newmar Dutch Star DP. The floorplan was what we wanted with the options we had decided on a year ago. We first sold our house in Nov 2013 and bought the MH in Dec. We are now fulltiming and love it.

Best of luck to you.
George and Brenda
2005 Newmar Dutch Star 3810, Spartan with CAT7
2013 Honda Fit
myshaggydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 01:59 PM   #10
Oh I forgot, My wife wanted an oven but that was the only thing our MH does not have. She has used the combo microwave/convection oven and now loves it. She makes cut out cookies and bakes cakes in it. They have come out great.

Again Best of luck.
George and Brenda
2005 Newmar Dutch Star 3810, Spartan with CAT7
2013 Honda Fit
myshaggydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 02:28 PM   #11
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Good luck with your choices.
John & Cathy R.
06 Pace Arrow 38L W24
08 Lincoln MKX AWD
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 04:07 PM   #12
Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Welcome and glad to meet you!

Quite a few threads on this subject. There should be plenty of info a search will come up with. The opinions of the "best" class A DP are somewhat jaded by what we already own in many cases.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:11 PM   #13
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thank you all, I appreciate the info as I want to buy wisely. I figure those who have already bought will have a lot of info and I have a lot to learn. My Dad was a boy scout and we used a tent. Got a popup and thought we were in heaven and these MH's are something else. Three years and I will hopefully run into some of you. Look forward to retirement and traveling.
Old 07-17-2014, 04:30 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Welcome to IRV2 and good luck with your search....

Terry & Brenda - From the Iowa Banks of the Mighty Mississippi
2011 Winnie Journey 34y, Freightliner / Cummins , 2012 Chevy Colorado Toad

Chiefbvfd is offline   Reply With Quote

full time