Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2014, 07:00 AM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
To the OP

Your price range puts you in a great arena! There are countless recommendations on diesel vs. gas. Just use the Google search at the top right corner, you'll find volumes to read. IMHO if traveling, seeing the great USA, a DP is the way to go. As mentioned if limited travel exposure and full or part timing a 5er or gasser with good or great floor plan would be a good alternative. I'm not pushing any manufacturer, cause what every one owns is the "best" maybe? I personally see very little difference in maintenance, gas vs. diesel. However, at the end of a long day this old body is not as beat up and DW's back and legs are still coupled with our DP. Each to his or her own, however we vote for a DP. My suggestion is Travel to Tampa FL. And visit the Super Show Jan 15th to 19th. Every manufacturer of all RV's will be represented. You will be like a kid in a candy store. Have fun!!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2014, 01:06 PM   #16

Ford Super Duty Owner
Mine is 7 yrs. old and I have 32,000 miles on it and it was used as a rental when I bought it so I don't think you have any problem with putting 150,000 miles on it unless you plan on driving it to work. I have taken it out 5 times and only put 1200 miles on it. We try to take a trip every month but I live in Texas and still have a lot of area to cover before I leave the state. I have been to La. to visit to my mother. It will take you a long time to put 150,000 miles on it. Like someone said before diesel is more expensive to maintain, more expensive and gas is cheaper. I get 8 mpg in mine and love the ride. I have V10, 35'.
flangley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 01:55 PM   #17

We've had our '02 MH three years and have only added 4000 miles to the 12,000 the original owners did in 8 years. It's a V-10.
Old 01-10-2014, 01:55 PM   #18

I saw a post on here once that said- "if you can, buy your third motorhome first" Wish we had done that, would have saved us a lot of money!! Gonna vote for DP here, just way to many differences.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:35 PM   #19

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgmjr1327 View Post
To Bruce Dickson: Wow, sounds like you got a steal! The Challenger is one we are considering. We love the kitchen format of the GT. I take it you tow that Honda CRV with your rig. Any issues towing up steep inclines?
we tow the CRV and climb hills no problem. Anyone can get those prices from MHSRV they are like Carmax, low prices, no negotiating and the salesmen are on salary not commission.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 03:40 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
GlenB had a gas v10 ford 35 ft did not like the ride, engine noise. Kept 1 year got 39ft 300 cat tow CRV and luv the ride the motor and the layout. If your going to camp at places within 50 miles gas ok. If you are going to other states there isn't enough $ to put me Back in gas!!!
GlenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 04:53 PM   #21

You've received a lot of great advice so far so I'll add my .02.

I've owned 6 rigs (4 Gas and 2 DP), when we decided to full-time we sold our DP and bought a gasser because in our opinion it had the best floor-plan for full-timing. Also since we were going to be full-timing we realized that we would actually be driving less and exploring more so we were not as concerned with ride as we were when were putting 2,000 miles on the coach in 3 weeks. The bottom line is we are both infinitely happier with our gas coach, as a full-timing coach than we would have been in our previous DP's. I will also add that we are probably the exception to the rule.

Good luck and have fun.
StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 06:57 PM   #22

Hi All, We owned a 92' Georgy Boy for nearly 93,000 miles and pulled (2) different Suzuki during that time. Now we have a 2007 Forest River Georgetown 373 with 55,000 miles and have pulled a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited during that time. Both MH's were great. The 2007 FR is better because of the slideouts and floor plans. Both pulled the SUV's fine. Some times it got real slow in the mountains but we still returned home. Now we are looking at a Thor DP in the 40' range for spring. I do not anticipate any real problems with that either. Just be aware that all MH require some care and loving. If you can do that you will have less problems. Do some of the minor repairs and fixes yourself. You may do a better job than the dealer you purchased it from. Be upfront on maintenance that pays dividends by not having problems. Check the axle weights and cargo carrying capacities before you purchase! Make sure you can legally pull your toad. Now, go have a great time, it a great country with a lot of wonderful places to visit.
Glen and Barb
2007 FR Georgetown 373
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
gbburgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 07:34 PM   #23

Drive little, tow medium to light, go gas. Drive lots or tow heavy, go diesel. Drive lots and tow heavy, go big diesel.

Have fun in your search. Good luck on your decision.
cj23andout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 07:43 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj23andout View Post
Drive little, tow medium to light, go gas. Drive lots or tow heavy, go diesel. Drive lots and tow heavy, go big diesel. Have fun in your search. Good luck on your decision.
Brief and too the point.
StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 08:37 PM   #25

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I agree with if you drive a lot go DP. Major points for me are air suspension, much quieter, and flat floor. Some also say air brakes and exhaust/jake brake.
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 08:42 PM   #26

Country Coach Owners Club
Go to rv.org and pay what they are asking and read all the material. It will be the best money you spend on your rv.

Educate yourself before you decide what to buy
Good luck and happy hunting
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 06:15 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Gasser lasting 150K miles? Hard to say. A lot depends on maintenance and how the RV is driven. If you do not maintain the RV and run the poor thing at 75 mph all of the time, the engine life will be shorter. Lots of stress on the poor engine.

Keep your speed down to 60 to 65 mph, the engine is happier and will last longer. I have seen folks kill an engine in less than 75K mile and some go beyond 150K.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote