Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-08-2014, 07:09 PM   #1
Future rv owner

Greetings. My wife and I want to purchase a Class A RV. A salesman informed us the triton v-10 is good for 150k miles but that that cummins diesel good for up to 500k. What are your thoughts on that assertion and what have you experienced? Also, any recommendations on make and models in the $100k to $300k range?

mrgmjr1327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2014, 07:24 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm sure you'll get plenty of opinions on the gas vs diesel debate. Depending on your travel style, it could take 15 or 20 years to put 150,000 miles on a coach. Are you likely to keep it that long? We own a Thor Challenger which is described as a premium gas coach. The list price was $159,000 and we drove it off the lot for $105,911.

Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:28 PM   #3
We just purchased a 2000 Beaver Patriot Thunder as our first RV. Cat 425 and the box will go long before the motor! We decided on a DP for it's reliability. Good luck and I am sure you will enjoy whatever it is you get. Pay attention to the floorplan, we found that was way more important to us then most of the other stuff.
LUV2SCRUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:30 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Hi and

I've owned both a Ford V10 and now a CAT C7. I really like the power of the CAT and quietness of the rear engine diesel.

As far as 150,000 miles vs. 500,000 miles, I'm not sure who really wins. I do like the idea of longevity provided by the diesel. I'm not sure it's offset by the maintenance cost of a diesel. Seems like everything on a diesel costs more. Still I wouldn't trade the power of the diesel for any cost advantage a gas engine might provide.
US Navy Vet, Liberty Tree Member of Oath Keepers, NRA & VFW Life Member, Alaska EMT.
2009 Safari Cheetah 40 SKQ
2009 Winnebago Chalet 231CR
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:46 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
This is the first time I have read something said by a salesman that I would agree with.

The current 3valve Triton V10 found in Class A RV chassis (named F53) could run for 150,000miles with regular routine maint and a gentle right foot. These engines run at optimum levels with computer controlled systems. As long as you do not over rev the engine (which is computer limited).
2014 Ford Stripped Chassis F-53 Class A Motorhome | See All The Stripped Chassis F-53 Class A Motorhome Highlights | Ford.com

Most all Cummins engines in RV chassis' are well balenced to the weight rating of the chassis (6.7, 8.3, etc.) and are good for 500,000 miles with proper routine maint as well.

And, what Bruce said about miles driven is very true too...RV'ers most often do not drive more than 7,500 miles a year. Some surpass that, but they are the minority...just look at for sale ads to check.

For the OP's budget...that's a wide range. Have fun looking!

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), '07 Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:08 PM   #6
To Bruce Dickson: Wow, sounds like you got a steal! The Challenger is one we are considering. We love the kitchen format of the GT. I take it you tow that Honda CRV with your rig. Any issues towing up steep inclines?
Old 01-08-2014, 08:14 PM   #7
Thank you Steve and Kim.. Great info!
Old 01-08-2014, 09:54 PM   #8
Freightliner Owners Club
If your a driver...go diesel. If you stay a lot in one place...go gas. Your price range leaves the barn doors open for most any type of MH of your choosing. You'll find the living quarters in both are pretty similar unless you go longer than 37'. But.....if I was going to spend upwards of $100,000 (and in your case...$300,000) a DP would be the only rig I'd be looking at...hands down. I don't think the cost of maintenance of a diesel engine is a legitimate argument for the quality your getting. Almost like asking a Ferrari owner his MPG!
02 Fleetwood Discovery 37U, 330 Cat pulling a 2006 diesel Liberty..or..2011 4dr Wrangler..or..20' Lund Salmon/Halibut Hunter
csrrsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 11:07 PM   #9
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Have you ever owned an RV?

If not I'd suggest renting one for a week as it will show you a lot of things that you may or may not want in an RV.

No comment on the gas vs diesel.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD, W22, 8.1, 7.1 MPG
2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 03:56 AM   #10
Compairing diesel to gas is for the engine alone is only a small part of it, like others said most folk will not drive enough to ware eather one out. A couple of other things to consider with gas vs diesel Larger weight carrying/towing compacity (usually), better brakes(air), better ride (air ride), and usually better handleing with a diesel. With that said it all comes with a price more stuff = more cost to maintain. Also as others have said the floor plan and liveability is on the top of the list. Best thing is to test drive both and see which you like, no shortage of used motor homes out there. It also depends on how much you plan on using it a weekend every month or 2 and a weeks vacation a year gas is fine. Also if you plan on doing state parks and forest camp grounds 40-45 motor homes can be a problem.
Bruce Linda and Zoey
1999 ForeTravel U295
012 orange Jeep Wrangler
bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 04:03 AM   #11
Winnebago Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
my first rv was a DP. wouldnt have it any other way
Winnebago Owners Group ,Itasca 2000 DP
National Member of the Defenders Law Enforcement Motorcycle Club,PC Guru
wildmandmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 04:51 AM   #12
Your price range puts you in some very nice diesel pushers...floor plan is crucial to your happiness...dont be afraid to go big...the more room and stowage space the better...take your time and look at and drive a bunch of coaches prior to purchase! As others have said...diesel delivers more power and carrying capacity...also think about the vehicle (toad) you will pulling around the world and up and down mountains...diesels have exhaust brakes...dont think they are in gassers...this helps brake the coach when rolling down the other side of the mountain.. Saves the brakes and keeps them from heating up..
Fish Carver
"Tessie" the 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U
Toad: 2015 Chevy Calorado
Jim Estes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 05:23 AM   #13
Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Howdy and welcome aboard. Glad you joined us. Can you get 150K out of the V10? Sure you can just make sure you follow the maintenance schedule. Our previous moho was on the F53 platform but had the 460 and when we traded it, it had 116K miles and was running perfect. The reason we traded was for a bit more room. Our current coach with the 8.1 has more then enough power and performs great. As mentioned also when we're sitting still we all have pretty much the same ammentities on board. Good luck in your search and hope you find the coach that works best for you. Be Safe!
Steve & Sally / HiTee & Hudson Our Little Poms / Heidi & Houston Forever in our Hearts
04 NEWMAR MACA 3778 W22 / 05 PT Vert
Michigan (Summer) Florida (Winter)
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 05:30 AM   #14
Entegra Owners Club
Check out Entegra!

Steve, Tami, Genneva, Felicia & Lexi
2013 Entegra Anthem rbq "feel like a rockstar"
Tamatha is offline   Reply With Quote