Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-05-2014, 01:25 PM   #1
Gallons to paint 30 foot Class A

Looking at a used 97 Fleetwood Flair, that while in good mechanical shape needs a lot of cosmetic work, Paint, upholstery carpet etc..
I am curious if anyone has painted a Class A, and how much paint it takes??
I am figuring what my cost will be to spiff it up.
It had a vinyl wrap on on it that has been removed,

IamJerryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2014, 02:27 PM   #2
Depends very much on type/brand of paint as well as graphics and such. I would just use the paint manufacturers specs on coverage.

I know you know this, but the cost of the paint is not the driving cost in a respray, its the labor. If you are doing the job yourself, just ask yourself, how committed to the project are you? Once you take a rig apart to paint, it is TOUGH putting old worn out parts back on. Its a slippery slope.

I get the impression most people pay approximately $20K on resprays. I bet 2-4K of that is paint/primer.

American Revolution 40L CAT C9
Samsung 197, TireMinder, Ready Brute Elite with Wrangler
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 07:47 AM   #3
Fleetwood Owners Club
Took a tour of the Fleetwood Factory. In the paint shop they told us they use an average of one gal of paint for each 2 feet of coach. as Chris pointed out it would also depend on primer, graphics and clear coat finish.
2008 Bounder 38V DP
2004 Ford Sport Trac
LEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 08:01 AM   #4
Originally Posted by LEMO View Post
Took a tour of the Fleetwood Factory. In the paint shop they told us they use an average of one gal of paint for each 2 feet of coach. as Chris pointed out it would also depend on primer, graphics and clear coat finish.
Thanks, appreciate that bit of info. I could not see any way to do it with less than 10 total. So, 15 is not shocking.
IamJerryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 11:30 AM   #5
It is a big project to paint one yourself. I went through this 3 years ago on a 38' class A. I have experience in doing some boat painting, MH was the same concept.

Several things to consider when doing this yourself.
1. You need some space to do this. There is a lot of sanding involved so it needs to be a place that allows the mess sanding makes.

2. As others have mentioned the actual spraying of final coats is the least time consuming part of the whole process. The labor is very intense sanding the fiberglass down. Priming the the coach takes time and after each coat of primer you have to sand the coach down again. Prime it again and sand it again. It has to be absolutely like glass when you are ready to spray top coat. Any imperfections will be magnified when you apply top coat.

3. If your spraying outside be prepared as the dust, bugs or any other defect will cause a redo.

4. I bought a cheap spray gun for the primer and bought a $500 gun to do top coat and clear coat. You also have to factor the amount of air a compressor needs to produce to paint a MH. I used a cheap 20 Gal electric compressor but I linked it to a 70 gallon tank so I would never rum out of air. It takes a lot of air to paint a MH. A single compressor with 20-30 gal you will run out of air and the compressor will work itself to death. You also have to be careful as the PSI to the gun has to remain constant.

5. The paints I used is normally used in boat painting so I had experience in the application of using it. Ours was a two part paint plus a thinner. I don't recall how many gallons I used and I used two colors. Dupont or other companies that make automobile paint I am sure is different and maybe easier. I had never painted a car so stuck with what I knew.

For our MH it was a long project. I had the added advantage of owning at the time some very large empty warehouses that I could drive up into. The building was empty. I also had forklifts which proved invaluable to getting up and down. I rented scaffolding for both sides as going up and down a ladder is extra work and time consuming. I also had some employees I put on the project so had some help and a few had some real experience. I think in the end it probably cost me $4000 to paint it. Had I sent it out probably $14,000. It came out good, the only issue I had is an inability to do some more exotic graphics such as what you would find on a new one. I had no idea how to tape off the sides enabling more intense swirls. I had to stay more basic straight line with some angles but nothing compared to what you see on a professional rig.
J.Chet USAF LTC Retired
Teddy & Bella (Soft Coated Wheaten's)
Jchet is offline   Reply With Quote

class a, paint