Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2016, 05:24 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We had the Rand McNally and a Garmin, both are not reliable. I gave up on GPS units and now just use a road atlas, my iPhone and the Waze app. Hasn't failed me yet.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2016, 07:46 AM   #16

Ford Super Duty Owner
Don't get an in-dash GPS

One comment on GPS, don't get an in-dash model when you order a new MH. We have a Kenwood/Garmin in-dash GPS, the maps are nearly 2 yrs out of date and updates are still not available. Another problem is that it is inconvenient for the copilot to make any selections while traveling. Yet another problem is that you are stuck with the technology available at purchase.

So, we use a portable Garmin to verify the in-dash unit.

Old 10-08-2016, 08:14 AM   #17

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have both the Rand McNally RVND 7720 and the Garmin Dezl 560 (the Truck/RV version). I like both and neither have really let me down. I like the RVND better in the RV since it has a bigger screen and you can reach out to whatever mileage (10,20,30,50,100) and see what is at that exit as far as fuel, restaurants, etc, at least on the interstates anyway. It also has a fuel log, checklists, and many other extras. I update both regularly. I used the the RVND from VA to ME and it didn't disappoint. I use the Garmin in the Jeep since I don't have a nav unit in it.

Like everyone else said it comes down to personal preference and knowing your tools.
CbtEngr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 08:46 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
We had the Rand McNally and a Garmin, both are not reliable. I gave up on GPS units and now just use a road atlas, my iPhone and the Waze app. Hasn't failed me yet.
The I-phone has the same limitations as the GPS's. Don't trust it as a sole source either.
Old 10-08-2016, 08:53 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
GPS is not perfect, we must check routing and what WE have asked this computer and data base to do. Most errors we encounter are operator error and not understanding how the program will effect the routing. For instance ,right turn only takes we 1 mile east, 1 mile, south, 1 mile west and 1 mile north when I could have driven a couple hundred feet a head and turned left to the destination. Yes there are errors in the data base the Sub Shop is not 2 miles out in the corn field, someone keyed in the wrong number. Expanding the view to see the routing, knowing a bit about where you are going and understanding the computer your are programming, will enhance the GPS operation and circumvent most routing "errors".

LEN
Old 10-08-2016, 09:24 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
The basic problem is no routing software is as good as your brain and a paper map. The software does not see the big picture and does not see all the possibilities. Worse yet it does not display the alternatives because of screen size. Mapping software on a laptop is better but still misses a lot due to ignoring different class roads. I have Garmin, Rand McNally, Delorme, and use Google Maps regularly. They all have limitations compared to just looking at that big sheet of paper.

x2 on this. I just got the garmin rv760 (to replace an earlier smaller model) to use on a recent cross country trip ( really like the "up ahead" feature). That said, with every gps I have ever used, they occasionally leave you going "huh?". There is no substitute for using the actual maps, combined with your head ... and not just following the machine blindly. There is an old "joke" this brings to mind: "to err is human. But to really mess things up requires a computer" ...
Old 10-08-2016, 09:43 AM   #21

All, can we add "Copilot" App to this discussion. I have purchased Copilot RV app for my iPad also.

Itasca Meridian 36M, 2013 - Jeep Wrangler X 2009
Old 10-08-2016, 03:06 PM   #22

its to bad you cant take an on-star unit out of a wrecked chevy truck..i've only had mine 5 yrs but never been misguided by the unit but have been stuck in wrong lane and had to adjust as per on-star..and if you want to take different route just hit the button anf the gal will download new route..
Old 10-08-2016, 06:25 PM   #23

I use two GPS units when we travel. A Tom Tom and a Magellan and when I enter a destination I match the "turn list" with a study of the road atlas.

i don't recommend the Magellan, it gives some very stupid instructions at times.
Old 10-08-2016, 06:52 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My experience with GPS navigation is that it is as knowledgeable as the person using it. Those with routing anomalies (myself included) have created them by programming "Avoids" or selecting the "Shortest" rather than the "Fastest" route. In most cases, the differences will occur well beyond the boundaries of major cities. The "Shortest" route out in the country may very well be a dirt track. "Avoids" are less predictable but equally chilling particularly in an RV. I offer this based on my unpleasant experience being directed 50 plus miles to avoid a bridge toll. I am sure other have more chilling stories than mine but I remain a firm believer and proponent of GPS navigation.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 02:46 AM   #25

National RV Owners Club
I have always used Garmin but I got the Good Sam version of the RM last year and it has been great. The one big feature it has is that it syncs with the Good Sam trip maker program if you are a good sam club member.
Old 10-09-2016, 04:10 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmac View Post
My experience with GPS navigation is that it is as knowledgeable as the person using it. Those with routing anomalies (myself included) have created them by programming "Avoids" or selecting the "Shortest" rather than the "Fastest" route. In most cases, the differences will occur well beyond the boundaries of major cities. The "Shortest" route out in the country may very well be a dirt track. "Avoids" are less predictable but equally chilling particularly in an RV. I offer this based on my unpleasant experience being directed 50 plus miles to avoid a bridge toll. I am sure other have more chilling stories than mine but I remain a firm believer and proponent of GPS navigation.
We have a Garmin NUVI 2789 LM and love the full color big screen, gives you split screen and shows you an enlarged window of the exit coming up etc. My wife loves it around town here in Houston because she can get lost in a grocery store. However, when we went to go buy our MH a couple of weeks ago up in the Dallas area, all along I35 north, the speed limit signs constantly changed on the HWY and my GPS was always 5MPH off. The sign would say 75MPH the GPS would say 70 and visa versa. I couldn't rely on it. As far as routing, it usually does a pretty good job BUT a good example of it not helping was on the way home back to Houston, it wanted to direct me to exit from HWY 6 south to HWY 290 for the last leg of the trip. But I knew HWY 290 had 8 miles of construction with those dreaded, tight concrete barrier walls, 2 lanes, and traffic is clogged tight the whole way. I knew that because I live nearby. I avoided it and took a different route that I was familiar with. I was NOT going to take the MH through those 8 miles of HELL.

So in that case the GPS was not Smart. IMO with today's technology, buying a nearly $500 device, I should be able to specify the type of vehicle I haveówidth, height, weight etc., and as the GPS guides me on my route, it should be smart enough to warn me of these types of pitfalls and possible safety issues and immediately offer an alternative route. All of these construction areas have to be public info because of permitting etc. and could be tied into the GPS with a 3rd party plugin update app that you could purchase. If this would of happened say in Ohio, where I knew nothing of the local landscape, I would of been screwed.

I have read on other threads here where a fella used his GPS to warned him of a tunnel coming up that he couldn't fit through with his MH. The GPS routed him around it. So in order for that warning to happen, there had to be a way to program those parameters into the GPS. I find no such thing in my GPS preferences. And a paper map would not help here either, so I don't know how to address those types of issues.

For just about every computer program out there today, they're are 3rd party plugins you can buy that will "enhance" or give you additional features for that app. I wish manufacturersólike Garminówould license 3rd party developers to develop particular featured apps. Or for that matter, Garmin itself. For example, Garmin could sell me the NUVI 2789 LM, and then, there could be a list of other "plugins" available for purchase to customize my unit with extra certain features like I'd like to have.
Old 10-09-2016, 08:48 AM   #27

There are two basic problems with a GPS or any routing device.

We are often willing to violate a rule like running 10 miles between exists on expressway to use the bridge instead of 100 miles to go around it. The program does not know that but we do when we look at the map.

All programs including OnStar depend on getting mapping data from one of the few sources for preparing it. Assuming 100% accuracy by the data collection folks it still takes a year or two to have changes get detected, consolidated, and distributed, and the GPS programmers write the patch. Collection is the only thing done on a more or less daily basis. After that it is batch processed so a day later means it goes into the next batch. There have been reports of 1-2 years time for the cycle to get to the consumer. Not much where I live but a really big deal in any area where they are building a lot of new roads.

FWIW I suspect the data base issue is part of why Google has it's cars on the road and why Garmin bought Delorme. Delorme's forte is the data base information as in their state by state map books and topographical map tools.
Old 10-09-2016, 07:41 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
The RV has the Rand McNally built in, I found it about the same as my Garmin (forgot the model). It is easy to update and keep the maps and POI database current. I also like the 11 inch screen which is handy when looking for stop information with the find along route feature. Generally I will plan out the route on the laptop if I am concerned or have not been to the area before. I will use Google Maps, then save the route so I can bring it up on my phone or if DW is the navigator she can use the tablet. It usually takes 10 minutes or less to do this for most routes. Most of the time the RM is equal to Google unless I have purposely routed around something. It is also nice to have a device with active traffic if there is a problem up ahead.

I also like doing the course home work if there is traffic I have an idea where to detour.

XBoater is offline   Reply With Quote