Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2016, 10:44 AM   #1

Garmin vs Rand McNally

Hi all. I realize we have discussed this many times. Can we do this one more time. I am planning to buy a new GPS for my class A.
I have used many Garmin GPS in my cars in the past. I have also used Rand McNally (before they discontinued) and Copilot on my iPad.
Tired of them taking me to wrong ways, having me to do a U turn after few miles on a wrong road, taking me to a road that i know is a longest way to destination, and even taking me through the boarder (Canada to US) without me wanting to cross boarder.
Will any of the new GPS (Garmin Or RM) big screen will help?
I am willing to pay a good money just to prevent above issues.
Thanks as always for your valuable comments.
While I love some of your sense of humor..lets just get to the fact on this one and I will appreciate your advice.

Itasca Meridian 36M, 2013. Jeep Wrangler X, 2009
Full Timer from Norfolk VA

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2016, 11:15 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Couldn't the three issues noted above have been preventing within the set-up? Mark:
~Avoid, U-Turns
~Select, Shortest Route
~Avoid, Int'l Borders

We have and travel with a Garmin Nuvi and 2 RandMcNally 7" screen RVND's (one in each cockpit position - not overkill when one person is searching POI's and the other needs to see route instructions). The different systems agree on route over 95% of the time (disclaimer - They are all updated for maps and software).

While I feel the Garmin vs. RM discussion is more driven by personal preference over operating system, I will point out that Garmin has discontinued their 7" screen...it is now 6".
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-t...rod524447.html

Yes, the Garmin RV760LMT is still available for sale, but it has been discontinued>
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-t...rod135455.html
Note the header says "Previous Models"

The RM still has the better price point, and the current RVND 7730/35 is still a 7" screen.

Best luck

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), '07 Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
http://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 12:03 PM   #3

gps's

I'm in the same boat as nxkharra. i have both in my amazon wish list. the garmin had a 1/2 star higher rating. and am leaning that way. need to buy in the next month or two.
So which way SHOULD i go ????
Old 10-07-2016, 12:27 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I have been using Garmin products for the last 10 years. Have had probably 5-6 different units over that time. All GPS's have issues usually related to the maps not being perfect. If you get a Garmin LMx (Lifetime Maps) version you can get updated maps a few times a year for free. I have had good luck with the RV760LM but I don't trust it 100%. I plan my routes on the computer using Garmins BaseCamp program then preview the route in Google Earth to verify the route, adjust the route if needed, then download into the GPS. I keep the vehicle settings the same between the GPS and BaseCamp, the maps are the same, so it usually routes the same.
Dennis_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 12:40 PM   #5

The basic problem is no routing software is as good as your brain and a paper map. The software does not see the big picture and does not see all the possibilities. Worse yet it does not display the alternatives because of screen size. Mapping software on a laptop is better but still misses a lot due to ignoring different class roads. I have Garmin, Rand McNally, Delorme, and use Google Maps regularly. They all have limitations compared to just looking at that big sheet of paper.
Old 10-07-2016, 12:43 PM   #6

I like my Garmin RV760MT. As I stated sometime ago Garmin suggests updating about every 3 months. With all the highway construction and commercial building going on. Make sure you get lifetime updates. It a lot less expensive at time of purchase.

Happy Travels

Lex
Old 10-07-2016, 12:50 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
I cannot tell you how much I dislike our RM based system, it is actually branded Camping World. I about tossed it out the window on the way IRV2's rally last month. The only thing that stopped me was that I refuse to litter. It kept telling me that I was at a location in PA when we were nearly to Elkhart! With the help of our neighbor at the campground and a call to the help center we managed to get it reset it, but I don't trust it. I drug us thru backroads and hours out of our way last year....so now I bring the Garman with us as well...and as mentioned....maps accompany us and we double-check the routes.
On the Road with 7 cats and a lovebird!
LynnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 02:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis_K View Post
I plan my routes on the computer using Garmins BaseCamp program then preview the route in Google Earth to verify the route, adjust the route if needed, then download into the GPS. I keep the vehicle settings the same between the GPS and BaseCamp, the maps are the same, so it usually routes the same.
X2 plus I also cross reference my route in Mountain Directory and have added the Low Clearances Database to my Google Earth just in case the Garmin misses one (or more, which it never has yet).

Honestly, I don't 100% trust any of them, but my Garmin hasn't let me down so far. It's re-routed me around areas I know I could have made it through but I can't condemn it for being too careful... that's what it's supposed to do with the settings I have. I also have to admit to being a little anxious when I turn onto a road and it flashes the warning "RV ACCESS AVAILABILITY UNKNOWN." Kinda makes you wonder what's around every corner

Also, one of the biggest advantages to pre-routing everything in Basecamp and Google Earth like Dennis and I do is that if some surprise does pop up you at least have some mental familiarity with the area... you've probably read it on one map or another a half dozen times, so you're not stuck out there in total darkness.

Just my two cents; worth every penny
Old 10-07-2016, 03:25 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
RM bad, very bad. Garmin RV660LMT good slightly smaller than the 760 but has ipad quality screen, scroll with your finger and very sharp.

iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 10-07-2016, 03:45 PM   #10
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
OH Yea... forgot to mention...

The RandMcnally RVND 7720/25 (discontinued) and 7730/35 have a function that shows real-time weather overlays - on the map screen - when connected to WiFi (like a phone Hot Spot).

We have used that function a couple of times to actually change our daily travel plan...really very useful.

There is no need for a brand war. Both devices are very good from our experience.

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), '07 Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
http://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 04:02 PM   #11

I am really impressed with the Garmin 760 so far! This is our 4th Garmin and it is a little different format but I have come used to it and like the way it performs. The darn thing just keeps surprising me at it's capabilities! One thing to note is DON'T LET THE BATTERY GO DEAD! This happened one night I was loading a few additional address 's and forgot to shut it off (my fault). Took a while a few days later after I plugged it in for it to respond. All is good now, yes I would suggest it to friends.
Old 10-07-2016, 04:17 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
I had high hopes for the RM but was quickly disappointed almost immediately. I gave it a couple of days and just had to take it back. I had to find out for myself even after the warnings. Buying it $100 off at CW is what motivated me.

iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 10-07-2016, 04:37 PM   #13

Interesting. We run Rand McNally in the MH and Garmin in the towed. Sometimes the differences annoy me but both work equally. Probably they source their maps from the same supplier.
Old 10-07-2016, 05:10 PM   #14

Spartan Chassis
Can't really comment on RM units as I have never owned one. Have exclusively used Garmin for many years. My 760 has been working almost flawlessly for over two years now. One plus for Garmin to me is that their customer service is second to none. You speak with native English speakers who are very knowledgable about their products and always want to help solve problems. In today's world that means a lot to me!

rag_ftw is offline   Reply With Quote