Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2014, 10:08 PM   #15

Freightliner Owners Club
Like DonDee said, world wide demand is the primary reason for the higher price of diesel - sad but true. We all love lower prices generated by an oversupply of a commodity but that just is not the case with diesel fuel. It has come down from where it was and I, like most of you would love to see less expensive diesel too. Don't forget the devaluation of the dollar which has taken place - that too drives up the price of oil since it is traded in US dollars. (Facts, not political rhetoric)

US Gear UBS
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2014, 10:22 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by baddog3g View Post
gas coach just beat us to death, and it was either get out of it into a diesel, or stop RVing (direct quote from the wife).

Sorry for this long reply.............and regards to all who may read it.
Fred
baddog3g,glad to have you join in the conversation.

Old 12-05-2014, 10:35 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMan59 View Post
Guess I am just glad I don't live in ok.
No comment .......that I should post here in our friendly community. Where people "normally" only try to be helpful.

Plus, if you were here you could watch your old basketball team play....Doh. Just messing with ya.
Old 12-05-2014, 10:44 AM   #18

Rexhall Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini5362 View Post
The news said gas in Oklahoma somewhere was 1.99 a gallon
I read the same thing. Gasbuddy anyone?
Old 12-05-2014, 10:47 AM   #19

Rexhall Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobnett View Post
With a pusher, I hear every word DW says��
And that's a benefit how?
Old 12-05-2014, 10:52 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick327 View Post
I read the same thing. Gasbuddy anyone?
I paid 2.19 for 100% gas last night here in OKC. 10% was under 2.
Old 12-05-2014, 09:06 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by okcnewbie View Post
No comment .......that I should post here in our friendly community. Where people "normally" only try to be helpful.

Plus, if you were here you could watch your old basketball team play....Doh. Just messing with ya.
Sorry, that may have come across wrong.
I drive a diesel p/u everyday, plus the rv, and paying a $1 more than gas would just seem way out of line.
Here it's normally only 35-40 cents different.

Haven't followed basketball in years. I am guessing that's where the sonics went?
Old 12-06-2014, 04:36 AM   #22

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Diesel is $3.19 here in AL and I get close to 11 mpg in my 2015 Forza.
Old 12-06-2014, 08:34 AM   #23

on average about .80 a gallon difference nationally slightly more than the difference here in Canada, comparatively I could not get a gas engine to move my coach so the comparison is mute, however my last coach at 24-26000 lbs could have conceivably had a gas engine, with the small cummins and the light Allison tranny the towing was limited as would the comparable gas powered coach, but when I compared my 11-12 mpg to the smaller gas coach I had at 6-7 mpg no brainer, the diesel got more than enough increased economy to justify the diesel fuel price difference, as far as the superior ride and handling and expense, that was the only question and my experience was the diesel coach won hands down on comfort, handling, noise and power with out a doubt. and would easily justify the extra costs alone, never mind the fuel economy,

Moxy
Moxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 05:19 PM   #24

Gas Buddy reporting diesel for $2.959 in Fullerton and Anaheim, Ca.
Old 12-07-2014, 09:38 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
I get 8.0 mpg on my Ford V10, to get a break even on diesel fuel at a very recent trip I would have to get almost 12. Diesel was 47% more expensive.
Throw in the extra $30-50k more for a diesel rig, 50-100% more for parts and maintenance, the noise, smell and weight, considering no one will wear out a either type engine, I'm sure diesels are worth it.
So OK I get there 15 min. later.
Fuel is a non issue. We get almost 10 mpg and you at 8 mpg. Just using round numbers at 10,000 miles of travel if diesel is $1.00 more per gallon it would be about 2-1/2 cents per mile extra for diesel. Maintiance is not much more. What noise it's all in the rear not screaming at you between the front seats from a gasser and the heat from it. More weight you bet. Keeps from getting blown around and the pushing and pulling of passing 18 wheelers. Ooh and the smell I love it it makes me horney. 30-50k more I didn't even pay that much for my used junker. There is not one better than the other I had a gassers for 20 years. I love my smelly diesel though. The air brakes are twice as good as my gassers and the exhaust brake is awesome.
1998 36ft Country Coach Magna #5499
Gillig chassis with a Detroit series 40
2002 F250 CC 7.3 PSD
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 10:42 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Gas 2.29, Diesel 3.39 in OKC

Price of fuel is a non-issue for us. We get 10-11 mpg and 8.5 mpg towing a Chevy Avalanche in the mountains. Air brakes, air suspension, tons more torque, not noisy, not smelly (new generation clean DEF Cummins turbo diesel). Love it, no comparison to a gasser, IMO.

Plus at 6,000 miles per year that's 600 gallons, so with a $1.00/gal. Price difference it's a mere $600 Assuming the same MPG., with the better MPG of the DP, the difference is even less, and worth every penny, IMO.

To each his own!

Cheers
Old 12-07-2014, 12:19 PM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
I get 8.0 mpg on my Ford V10, to get a break even on diesel fuel at a very recent trip I would have to get almost 12. Diesel was 47% more expensive.

Throw in the extra $30-50k more for a diesel rig, 50-100% more for parts and maintenance, the noise, smell and weight, considering no one will wear out a either type engine, I'm sure diesels are worth it.

So OK I get there 15 min. later.

They sure are! That whistling is probably the air you hear coming between that gap in the hump between you and DW😬. Simply can't compare the two, both have their places in the RV lifestyle. It has nothing to do with how fast you go, just what you want and can afford. Air brakes, air ride suspension, being able to safely and comfortably tow a larger vehicle, as well as looks are what appealed to us.

Tags
diesel, gas