Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2012, 01:16 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Red face Gas cap, pole, tail-wag, power snafu, camping fun!

Soooo.... I was headed out to meet the DW at the wonderful Grayson Highlands State Park last Wednesday. She had ridden up the day before with a friend and our mules to start off a nice 5 day mini-vacation riding the rocky trails.

I stopped at my local PFJ to fuel up and top off the LP, and drove off leaving my gas cap behind. That was an omen for the rest of the day.

When I arrived, the DW and her friends were out riding the mules, so I was left to get parked and set up alone. No big deal, have done it 1000 times. These sites were in the Horse camping area and were a little tight for the class A, but not impossible.

I got backed into our spot and decided I would not be able to level without lifting all the rear wheels off the ground. So, since the camp host told me I could pick any spot that wasn't taken, I walked down the road looking for a more level spot.

I found one, and proceeded to pull out of the original spot carefully avoiding a tree branch to my right that would have raked my AC units off the back, when I heard this sickening CRUNCH sound.

I immediately stopped and got out to see that I had misjudged and rubbed a yellow concrete pole with my left rear corner, busting up the generator bay basement door and popping the rear cap loose. Had I not stopped, I'm sure the rear cap would have been torn off. I jockeyed around and got out and parked in the new spot with no further damage or drama.

As I was setting up, miffed about the pole, I noticed the missing gas cap . So I plug into the 50A pedistal, and the EMS said one leg was dead. . I tell the camp host, and he contacts the maintenance guys. Meanwhile, I decide, I'll use my dog bone and plug into the 30A so I can get the fridge off the LP and the AC going and all that.

30A is dead too. Maintenance guys show up, borrows MY multimeter, and determines bad breakers are causing the problem in the pedistal, and that they will likely not be able to fix it that day. So, since there is no one in the site next door, I decide to pull out the 30A extension cable left in the coach from the previous owner, and plug in over there.

No power. I grab the multimeter and determine the reason the PO left that extension cable in the coach was because it was bad.

So, I shuffle through my box of dogbones and adapters and discover a 50A to 30A dogbone, and a 30A to 50A dogbone. I figure ONE leg of that 50A plug is hot, if I'm LUCKY, it'll be the right one to light up my 30A adapter.

I plug in the 50A->30A dogbone, and stick my meter leads in and find...... POWER! So I plug my 30->50 dogbone into that and my coach into there, and the EMS is happy!

From this point on, it's just another great week camping. I was able to drive the coach home as-is. The WORST DAY camping is still better than the BEST DAY doing anything else.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20120718_143440.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	179.2 KB
ID:	23940

Anybody know a good RV body shop on the east coast?
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2012, 02:15 PM   #2

Ramblin, sorry to hear of all that. We all have similar stories. Hope the rest of your time was enjoyable!
Grandpadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 02:32 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpadave View Post
Ramblin, sorry to hear of all that. We all have similar stories. Hope the rest of your time was enjoyable!
Thanks. From the moment I got power hooked up, until the moment I pulled into the driveway at home, it was truly a wonderful time. Now I just have to find a good body shop to handle the repair, and wait for the check from the insurance guy.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:26 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ah the joys of the RV life.... Crunch, Scrape, And no electricity.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:01 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Body work

Ramblin,

Look up the SEANATS and/or The RV NUTS National RV Owners FMCA Chapter clubs.

Join one and you will have access to many years of knowledge about National RV made rigs. They have info on where best to get your coach fixed. Some of the info can be found on The Dolphins website, www,dolphinclub.com in the 'LINKS' section. Lists of suppliers to NRV are there.

Since you seem to kive in the Carolinas, maybe no too far from Lazy Days RV service in FLA. They were the East Coast authorized RV Dealer and service center.

Good luck, and.............

Happy Trails!

Darryl
desobelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:09 PM   #6

Carolina Campers
So sorry about your mishap.....Charles Kuralt did a great piece about mules in his On The Road reports years ago.
rocknrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:19 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by desobelman View Post
Ramblin,

Look up the SEANATS and/or The RV NUTS National RV Owners FMCA Chapter clubs.

Join one and you will have access to many years of knowledge about National RV made rigs. They have info on where best to get your coach fixed. Some of the info can be found on The Dolphins website, www,dolphinclub.com in the 'LINKS' section. Lists of suppliers to NRV are there.

Since you seem to kive in the Carolinas, maybe no too far from Lazy Days RV service in FLA. They were the East Coast authorized RV Dealer and service center.

Good luck, and.............

Happy Trails!

Darryl
Thanks for all that. I'll definately join and ask some questions over there. Lazy Days is 800 miles from me. Not a trip I'll be able to make any time soon, though I've always wanted to get down there and see what all the hubub is about.

I really need to find a body shop within a couple hundred miles of central NC, if possible.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:49 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Sorry to here about your crunch! there is hope, we know of a very good repair and rv service shop that is hopefully close to you. Complete RV in Denver NC. Just outside charlotte nc. Very honest and enjoyable people own the business. Kevin and Maria Dunn. The have a paint and body repair along with most anything that goes wrong with rigs, all types of rigs. Protected fence easy access. Very reasonably priced. Give Kevin a call, tell him Clay sent you his way.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:55 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayobx View Post
Sorry to here about your crunch! there is hope, we know of a very good repair and rv service shop that is hopefully close to you. Complete RV in Denver NC. Just outside charlotte nc. Very honest and enjoyable people own the business. Kevin and Maria Dunn. The have a paint and body repair along with most anything that goes wrong with rigs, all types of rigs. Protected fence easy access. Very reasonably priced. Give Kevin a call, tell him Clay sent you his way.
Thanks for that recommendation! I'll give them a call today. I found their website HERE. Looks like a great outfit. Thanks again.

Update: Just spoke with the lovely Maria Dunn, am scheduled to drop the coach off on Saturday. She told me to say HI to Clay. (Hi Clay!)

Thank you all (especially Clay) for the help.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:14 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Good deal Rambling! I am sure your experience with Kevin and Maria will be as pleasant as ours was. Best of luck.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:17 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayobx View Post
Good deal Rambling! I am sure your experience with Kevin and Maria will be as pleasant as ours was. Best of luck.
I owe you a cold one.

Tags
camping, gas, power