Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-05-2014, 09:46 AM   #1
Gas /Diesel

I have been shopping for 6months,and its very exciting.My wife is going to retire in 2015 and we are going to be full timers.I will still work for 6-8 months a year,but we plan on living full time in the RV.We are trying to deside on new Gas or used Diesel.We are in the 150 range,top end.We will be traveling in mountains of BC, but would like to see north America. Can a gas MH handle this .Salesmen tell me I should'nt worry about gettting a Gas MH, but I'm not sure.

mdunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2014, 10:48 AM   #2
I have a gas v10 and I am amazed at how well it handles any traffic situation. I think the difference would be mostly luxury and less noise. That's what I gather from my reading

davdamon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 10:54 AM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
A diesel pusher chassis is usually stiffer, with air springs and air brakes. It makes a difference in ride. I think buying used is a better choice, no 'off the lot' depreciation, and most of the manufacturing defects have been repaired by previous owner. And with the poor quality control of RV makers, there WILL be defects.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 12:07 PM   #4
One thing to keep in mind is that if you plan on putting a lot of miles on a coach depreciation will affect a gas coach a lot more than a diesel.
USAF Retired
2000 Prevost Marathon H3-45
Towing 2006 Nissan Maxima
Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 12:19 PM   #5
Winnebago Owners Club
Gas /Diesel

I personally would definitely choose a diesel for the mountains of BC, torque, air brakes, air suspension. DP hands down in those mountains.

Also, I'm sure you'll be towing a vehicle if you're full time.
alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 12:48 PM   #6
Ford Super Duty Owner
I am in the same looking stage. I have been burned by buying used cars, so I am very leery of buying a used diesel pusher. I don't want someone's else problematic rig that they got rid of.
Raymond, Dee Dee and Sophie (Yorkie)
2013 Tiffin Allegro 31SA
2016 Chevrolet Equinox - V6 - AWD
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 12:58 PM   #7
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
I am in the same looking stage. I have been burned by buying used cars, so I am very leery of buying a used diesel pusher. I don't want someone's else problematic rig that they got rid of.
If that's your final position then you're entitled to it. However, IMHO there are a lot of great values out there in higher-end DP's that have been only lightly used. For example, our CAT C-12 had only 55,000 miles on it when we bought it from an individual who provided detailed maintenance records and all the user guides. I don't think there's any MH being built today at a price <$500K that uses a heavy duty engine as powerful as the C-12. Nor are there many coaches at any price that are as luxurious as our Beaver. Sure, new coaches may have more bells and whistles but those don't necessarily equal quality. We've done lots of remodeling but all of it in total is only ~12 months of payments on a new one.

My CAT is now approaching 100k miles and she purrs even better than she did when I bought it four years ago. That engine was designed to have its first major overall at about ~750k miles. At the rate we accumulate mileage, that should occur around my 130th birthday! I've already put it on the calendar and have started to budget for it. Bottom line, you simply cannot extrapolate from your experiences with gasoline car engines to the operation of large diesel engines; there is no comparison.
Sandie & Joel (RVParkReviews admin)
2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton CAT C-12
Follow us at http://www.facebook.com/WeissTravels.net
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 03:06 AM   #8
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It's a matter of personal choice. The DP will handle the hills (up/down) better than a Gas MH. I have a gasser and it handles the hills well enough. I've crossed the Rockies twice and no problems. Both Gas and Diesel have benefits. My previous diesel cost more for each servicing, but went farther in between. Fuel prices also need consideration, gas is cheap, but I experienced a 2 mile to gallon less average with the gas rig. So IMHO if you'll be travelling over steep terrain, the DP is the way to go. Otherwise, I switched to gas for cheaper maintenance.
NMRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 06:31 AM   #9
My 3610 Canyon Star gets 8 mpg, the same as my last two DP's and it maintains speed on the same hills where I lost speed with my 350 Cat DP. In most cases if I step on it I can gain speed. It rides and handles very good. $50.00 per fill up less with gas on the same size tank. Noise is the same, just moved from the rear to the front. The ones riding in the back really appreciate that. At a hundred K less than new DP, I have no regrets going back to gas. And the wife likes driving it. She says it easier to handle than our DP. I think it handles about the same.
rodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 06:48 AM   #10
Fleetwood Owners Club
If you want larger then 36' go with a DP.
With 150K you can get a good one.
99 Discovery 34Q ISB
2014 MKS AWD EcoBoost Toad
Fulltime Since "99"
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 05:21 PM   #11
Freightliner Owners Club
If you are buying used, my opinion is that you will get bang for the buck with a dp. Do a lot of research about the coaches in general and then the specific manufacturer when you find the perfect floor plan and then ask a lot more questions. IMHO, a maintained dp will be the better vehicle.

With respect to towing and mountains, you will need to balance hp, torque and mpg based on the vehicle size, chassis and weight. We get an average 10+ mpg even when towing and have had no problems with mountains in our Sportscoach that has a Freightliner XRC chassis with a Cummins ISB 340 hp. Its GVWR is less than 30,000 lbs which helps the mpg but gives it a little stiffer ride.
2012 Sportscoach Cross Country 385 DS Freightliner XCR w/ Cummins ISB 6.7L 340 hp
2009 Saturn Vue, Blue Ox Alpha, RVi Brake 2
mvpmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 05:42 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
There are a lot of reasons for choosing a diesel pusher motorhome, but getting to the tops of hills isn't one of them. At worst, you might be going a bit slower uphill with the gasser, but it's not a big difference.

The diesel chassis will have a greater weight carrying capacity and can readily handle larger coaches, so if you are looking at 36 ft and up the DP will shine. It's also a stronger chassis plus it will have air suspension & brakes. The rear engine is also quieter for the driver and co-pilot.

There are also good monetary reasons to buy used. You get more for your money and can get a higher end model than you likely could afford when new.
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 06:48 PM   #13
A diesel will also have a turbocharger, which maintains power as you get to higher altitudes. A gas coach will lose power the higher you get.
USAF Retired
2000 Prevost Marathon H3-45
Towing 2006 Nissan Maxima
Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 07:04 PM   #14
MD.....if you do buy a diesel MH.....try to get one with a 2 stage jake brake on it and not just an exhaust brake. I spent a month traveling in BC and there were times I wished I had the jake....it would have eliminated a few grey hairs I believe. Otherwise choose the MH by floorplan as you will spend a lot more time living in it than driving it.

2001 American Eagle 40 US 8.9 ISL, towing 1999 Cherokee or 2008 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 with Polaris RZR in the back.

Jimalberta is offline   Reply With Quote

diesel, gas