Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2014, 12:46 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
The difference between a gas and diesel MH is more that just the engine. The transmission and the entire chassis will be completely different with the diesel version being much more heavy duty. The air suspension found on most diesels will provide a much smother ride too.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2014, 01:11 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRV View Post
If You are the type who travel to distant Destinations you will find that a Diesel Coach will be more comfortable ,especially for the Driver.
On the other hand a Gas Coach will likely be easier on the pocket book if You take shorter and more frequent trips.

Just My opinion.....I have driven both !
You have to be kidding. I have driven MCIs, Crowns, diesels, and gas. Its the seat that gives you comfort. Either it is good or bad or somewhere in between. Somehow I don't understand how a diesel engine makes my butt feel more comfortable. Unless it is because my wallet is thinner that I am sitting on.
wyorancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 01:29 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyorancher View Post
You have to be kidding. I have driven MCIs, Crowns, diesels, and gas. Its the seat that gives you comfort. Either it is good or bad or somewhere in between. Somehow I don't understand how a diesel engine makes my butt feel more comfortable. Unless it is because my wallet is thinner that I am sitting on.

I'm pretty sure this poster is alluding to the air suspension that most diesels ride on. Dennis talks about this also in his post above.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 02:09 PM   #18

As a owner of a class A Gasser, that lives in B.C. and has traveled the mountainous roads in B.C., Alberta and throughout the States, I highly recommend the V10. Lots of power without screaming the engine. Go with the floorplan you like, be it diesel or Gas.
Regards,
Ted
Old 10-26-2014, 04:00 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted E View Post
As a owner of a class A Gasser, that lives in B.C. and has traveled the mountainous roads in B.C., Alberta and throughout the States, I highly recommend the V10. Lots of power without screaming the engine. Go with the floorplan you like, be it diesel or Gas.
Regards,
Ted
I agree. We have a few hills in WY and never had a problem with a gasser. However, if I planned on putting 100K miles a year on a MH I would highly recommend a diesel. I put less than 10K a year on so in 10 years that is only 100K miles on a V10. Box is just about wore out and time to trade. JMHO.
Old 10-26-2014, 04:21 PM   #20

Quote:
a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, you have driven MCI's Crowns and Diesels and its the seat are you kidding or just trying to get a response, if you had you would not be making such an asinine comment when the original poster is trying to make an educated decision about where to spend his/her hard earned money.

Firstly the seats are usually the same in the gassers and diesels so much for that theory. If you had really driven one you would not have to ask the question about comfort,

To the original poster, Diesels in your instance are a wise choice, there is nothing wrong with a gasser for the majority of highways but, when faced with steep long climbs, extended down hill runs the diesel is the way to go, for the power that you will have, for far less stress, listening to a V8 or V10 scream away for half an hour is hard on the nerves and does detract from your relaxing vacation, the diesel in the back will be hardly noticeable and once you are used to its incredible power will make stress about climbing hills a thing of the past, on the flip[ side going down the other will be a breeze too, apply the jake or exhaust break and don't worry about brakes overheating or failing all the way down the hill .

Good luck in your decision and don't listen to the arms chair buffoons who know little or nothing about what they are talking about

Moxy
Moxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 05:22 PM   #21

DP vs gas

Like how many hours a day does one travel up steep grades? Gassers are approx 1/2 the price of DP's.much easier and cheaper to maintain, engine will last long enough for my lifetime, fuel cost is a toss up. On the vast majority of roads the gas coaches are very quiet and have plenty of power. You decide how much that is worth to you.
Old 10-26-2014, 05:38 PM   #22

Guess you have never driven a MCI or Crown with air seats. Didn't think so. These diesels that they put RV boxes on are really not the status symbol that they get. Frankly I never saw much difference except the status they get going into an RV park. If I was putting 100K miles a year on a MH I would buy a diesel. However I would probably recondition an old Crown and have a MH that handled well on the hwy. The diesel MHs today don't handle all that much better. Read the posts. They have lots of problems.
Old 10-26-2014, 05:45 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezolen View Post
Like how many hours a day does one travel up steep grades? Gassers are approx 1/2 the price of DP's.much easier and cheaper to maintain, engine will last long enough for my lifetime, fuel cost is a toss up. On the vast majority of roads the gas coaches are very quiet and have plenty of power. You decide how much that is worth to you.
when travelling from Ontario to Florida a somewhat typical trip for coaches, I spend 5 or 6 hours constantly climbing and descending in New York and Pennsylvania on I 81 and the head south to the hill big ones in Virginia and North Carolina, I have done the trip in a gasser, in a mid sized pusher and my current coach, no comparison and worth all the money, not to mention the braking advantages gassers just don't have, The OP mentioned west coast mountains not me which is why the mountains and steep grades.

I have not even began to talk about trailering or pulling cars, which again just exasperates the gassers short comings when it come to hill climbing.

I agree on flat rolling highways, they are fine but that's not what the OP asked.

Moxy
Old 10-26-2014, 05:51 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezolen View Post
Exactly. If you want to know about a gasser, don't ask a diesel owner. The newer diesels don't have as much power as the 06 and older ones. It costs me $50.00 less to fill the tank. Same size tank as my Dp and I don't have to deal with the DEF. My gasser pulls the hills better than my last 2 dp MH's. The new gassers ride and handle as good as most dp's. They have the same 22.5 tires. The massive 4 wheel disc brakes will stop better than the dp drum brakes. For 150k more, I'm just not seeing an advantage unless you've got a lot of extra money.
Old 10-26-2014, 05:53 PM   #25

Quote:
Guess you have never driven a MCI or Crown with air seats. Didn't think so. These diesels that they put RV boxes on are really not the status symbol that they get. Frankly I never saw much difference except the status they get going into an RV park. If I was putting 100K miles a year on a MH I would buy a diesel. However I would probably recondition an old Crown and have a MH that handled well on the hwy. The diesel MHs today don't handle all that much better. Read the posts. They have lots of problems.

Have driven a Prevost and several tractor trailers with air seats, so what, what does that have to do with OP's question, your diesel envy is showing, who said anything about status, I have owned driven and experienced several gas coaches, I have also owned several diesel pushers and you comments demonstrate my point posted earlier "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing", you clearly have not driven a pusher to make the comment that they don't handle that much better, I realize that you have what you can afford and are happy with it, don't bash those who can and do spend more for more.

Moxy
Old 10-26-2014, 06:09 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodz View Post
Exactly. If you want to know about a gasser, don't ask a diesel owner. The newer diesels don't have as much power as the 06 and older ones. It costs me $50.00 less to fill the tank. Same size tank as my Dp and I don't have to deal with the DEF. My gasser pulls the hills better than my last 2 dp MH's. The new gassers ride and handle as good as most dp's. They have the same 22.5 tires. The massive 4 wheel disc brakes will stop better than the dp drum brakes. For 150k more, I'm just not seeing an advantage unless you've got a lot of extra money.
Most of us started in gassers, 400 horse is not enough diesel horsepower are you kidding, your 26000 pound coach that has a V10 will not keep up with my 12 year diesel 40000 pound cummins ISL powered ever, especially going up a hill, and as far as braking are you kidding, not sure what you had for diesels but they must have been from the 80's or 90's if your V10 gas engine can out pull them. you can not pull anything over 4K pounds which is a small car at best, and at that it would drastically harm the performance of your V10 where as 7500lbs of trailer car and motorcycle is hardly noticeable behind my coach.

Moxy
Old 10-26-2014, 06:30 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdunner View Post
I am looking at getting a 40ft gas powered MH.2012 with V10. Can I travel in mountains of western Canada without worries.I keep hereing that a diesal is the only way to go.Gas owners ,could you share opinions.

It appears that you selected a used coach. Any chance of taking it for a test drive over some of the hills you are concerned about? Since it is late in the season, the seller may be accommodating if there is a chance for a sale. This may best answer your question.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 08:04 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxy View Post

Most of us started in gassers, 400 horse is not enough diesel horsepower are you kidding, your 26000 pound coach that has a V10 will not keep up with my 12 year diesel 40000 pound cummins ISL powered ever, especially going up a hill, and as far as braking are you kidding, not sure what you had for diesels but they must have been from the 80's or 90's if your V10 gas engine can out pull them. you can not pull anything over 4K pounds which is a small car at best, and at that it would drastically harm the performance of your V10 where as 7500lbs of trailer car and motorcycle is hardly noticeable behind my coach.

Moxy
I have no need for a diesel. I love my Monaco 2013 gasser. I could have bought a diesel. I'm just saying that is why many buy them. I could buy a lot of air seats for the price tag of a diesel. However, I do agree there is definitly a place for diesels. If I was putting a 100K miles on my MH a year there would be no question. I would buy a diesel. If I was buying a 5ver, I would buy a diesel. But for someone to make a comment that they ride better is not true. They could buy an air seat cheaper. Just like my tractor has with no springs. In about 3 or 4 years I will be buying another new gasser. I figure I can trade up more often. Gosh, I love new MHs with all the new bells and whistles. Yes, many buy diesels just for the status. Last posts I read about diesels was getting air bags right so they can travel down the interstate. Seems no body can get it right. If I did buy a diesel I have to admit it would be a provost. Couldn't justify it to trade every 4 years.

Tags
gas, diesel