Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2015, 11:12 AM   #1

Gas/Diesel/New/Used Wheelchair Access

We may be in the market for a wheelchair accessible class A motorhome in the near future and we've been considering two possibilities. The first is a new Newmar Canyon Star 3911 gas motorhome. This unit comes from the factory fully wheelchair accessible and would cost around $150K after discount. The second is a 2006 to 2008 Fleetwood 39V diesel. There are various models on the market that can be had for $80K to $100K. This would require around $30K to $40K after purchase to make it wheelchair accessible for a total cost of $110K to $140K. Even so, it still would not be laid out as well as the Newmar. We are not new to camping, having had a trailer for four years. Among the problems we are trying to solve by moving to a motorhome are the rough ride of the truck used to pull the trailer, the limited range on a tank of fuel and the lack of a generator.

Newmar also offers the Ventana 4311, which is wheelchair accessible, but we like the Canyon Star better for various reasons. Guess this is kind of a new/used/gas/diesel question, but with a twist and pertaining to two specific models. Which one should we get?
JayKay100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2015, 11:15 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Having had a gasser and now a DP Ventana LE, I am partial to the DP drive and ride. The rear engine allows for a quite coach while driving and the air ride makes it enjoyable as well. I know that economics always is a consideration, but the longevity of the diesel would far surpass the gasser. I think they are both great products from Newmar, but I believe the diesel makes for a longer enjoyment if there will be a lot of travel involved.

Just my opinion...of course.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
unw1red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 05:15 PM   #3

Since you said wheelchair access, I will point out that lifts can be put in but having travel room inside can usually only be done at factory. Our first RV we had to move the slideout out a couple inches everytime the wheelchair needed to move aft. With our current rig, it was designed at factory for wheelchair movement with slide in or out. Shower size is another thing that you just can't make larger. Look at rvtrader.com, use keyword "wheelchair", disabled dealer, or even craig list to search for wheelchair rv's. I see some nice ones every now and then. Really like that Canyon Star but don't like side TV's and they don't offer twin beds in rear. Winnie makes some too but I don't like how they make their showers.
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 05:59 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKay100 View Post
We may be in the market for a wheelchair accessible class A motorhome in the near future and we've been considering two possibilities. The first is a new Newmar Canyon Star 3911 gas motorhome. This unit comes from the factory fully wheelchair accessible and would cost around $150K after discount. The second is a 2006 to 2008 Fleetwood 39V diesel. There are various models on the market that can be had for $80K to $100K. This would require around $30K to $40K after purchase to make it wheelchair accessible for a total cost of $110K to $140K. Even so, it still would not be laid out as well as the Newmar. We are not new to camping, having had a trailer for four years. Among the problems we are trying to solve by moving to a motorhome are the rough ride of the truck used to pull the trailer, the limited range on a tank of fuel and the lack of a generator.

Newmar also offers the Ventana 4311, which is wheelchair accessible, but we like the Canyon Star better for various reasons. Guess this is kind of a new/used/gas/diesel question, but with a twist and pertaining to two specific models. Which one should we get?

I own a Newmar 3911, a 2013 model. We bought it new from a dealer in NE FL. We traded a 34 foot 2003 Winnebago Brave on a Workhorse chassis that had been modified to be wheelchair accessible by Winnebago. We have been extremely pleased with our Canyon Star and Newmar's customer service has been outstanding. This is our first class A on a Ford chassis. We're also very satisfied with its performance. The wheelchair accessibility was very well thought out by Newmar. I've posted several times about my 3911. Do a search & review them.

Jim & Shirley & Abbie (Scottie)
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911
2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Toad
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 06:12 PM   #5

The 39V floorplan from Fleetwood has a full body slide on one side and a bedroom slide on the other. There's a 2006 39V in Las Vegas with a lift installed that I may check out. But is a 10 year old diesel that's been converted for a wheelchair worth $140K? That's almost as much as the CS brand new, and the CS comes from the factory built for a wheelchair from the ground up.

Pirate, are you talking about the televator? The Canyon Star comes standard with a TV in the front overhead, but the televator is a popular option. That's one of the reasons we want to order one new. My wife can't be close to the television because it bothers her eyes.

I wish Newmar offered their wheelchair accessible floorplan in one of their shorter diesels (under 40'). Going over requires a class B license in California and restricts the roads you can use.
JayKay100 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, gas, wheelchair