Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2015, 10:22 PM   #15

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by scep View Post
I think I am missing something.

I like the strut, but I dont see what the scissor arm has to do with keeping the door open. To shut my door I have to open the door handle a bit to release the door so it can shut. I dont know what the door handle is "catching" on but I have yet to see winds blow it shut.
That's the way the door works on our coach too. Monaco used to buy their doors from PTL Engineering who incorporated their patented Posi Loc mechanism in their doors to hold the doors open. They were an excellent door. I think it changed in 2000 when Monaco decided to start building their own doors, which did not have an open door locking mechanism and relied on the scissors above the door to do the job. It was a poorly thought out design, a money saving move that Monaco should never have done.

Jim

Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2015, 10:14 AM   #16
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by scep View Post
I think I am missing something.

I like the strut, but I dont see what the scissor arm has to do with keeping the door open. To shut my door I have to open the door handle a bit to release the door so it can shut. I dont know what the door handle is "catching" on but I have yet to see winds blow it shut.

The scissors arm was made with a little "indent" on one side and a raised "tab" on the other that locked together when the arm was fully extended, holding the door open. The pivot point has a large rivet that wears over time and allows slack in the arm so that the locking feature no longer holds the door. The rivets can be "pounded" to tighten them up, but it's just a temporary measure at best. You can buy a new scissors arm, but it's about $120! I'm glad to be rid of it!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 12:25 PM   #17
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
Nice job, Joe. I'll have to put that on my future list. Still need to finish the stove top & install the new sat dish.
Old 04-13-2015, 12:57 PM   #18

My 96 Monaco Windsor had a "posi lock" door on it.. worked great but you had to teach every rooky how to close the door. It was fun watching them grab handles , pull on this , push on that, jerk on something... our 2007 knight has that sisors lock on it that would not grab so I just put a vise grip on it while the door was part closed and bent it just a little and it made it work better ... I like the strut...!
Old 04-13-2015, 04:22 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
The scissors arm was made with a little "indent" on one side and a raised "tab" on the other that locked together when the arm was fully extended, holding the door open. The pivot point has a large rivet that wears over time and allows slack in the arm so that the locking feature no longer holds the door. The rivets can be "pounded" to tighten them up, but it's just a temporary measure at best. You can buy a new scissors arm, but it's about $120! I'm glad to be rid of it!
Hey MS,
I've seen other projects of yours and, this is right on par. Nice work. I've got a buddy with Country Coach that did the same exact thing. I wanted and, still do want, to do the same to our '04 Itasca Horizon but, upon speaking to the owner of Three Ts RV Repair Here in Lake Havasu City AZ, who's also tied quite deeply with Winnebago itself, they said that doing that exact same thing you did would destroy the top part of the door due to the fact that it's seriously weak up there, just on top of the window.

Dang, I wanted that system. My buddies and, apparently yours, is a really strong and, stable system. Winne and Itascas idea of what holds the door open is a complete idiotic design and is horribly weak. Yours is a great improvement. In an effort to keep and design things that are "better looking" and provide less of what I would call an archaic design, these companies often provoke weakness and less dependability.

Our previous coach, a '99 Fleetwood Bounder, had a great, positive door open stop that worked, and still works, decades after it was designed and installed. Hmmmm, imagine that, something that works.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 10:20 AM   #20
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Hey MS,
I've seen other projects of yours and, this is right on par. Nice work. I've got a buddy with Country Coach that did the same exact thing. I wanted and, still do want, to do the same to our '04 Itasca Horizon but,

Quote:
upon speaking to the owner of Three Ts RV Repair Here in Lake Havasu City AZ, who's also tied quite deeply with Winnebago itself, they said that doing that exact same thing you did would destroy the top part of the door due to the fact that it's seriously weak up there, just on top of the window.
Dang, I wanted that system. My buddies and, apparently yours, is a really strong and, stable system. Winne and Itascas idea of what holds the door open is a complete idiotic design and is horribly weak. Yours is a great improvement. In an effort to keep and design things that are "better looking" and provide less of what I would call an archaic design, these companies often provoke weakness and less dependability.

Our previous coach, a '99 Fleetwood Bounder, had a great, positive door open stop that worked, and still works, decades after it was designed and installed. Hmmmm, imagine that, something that works.
Scott

I don't agree with them on that! The door on my coach seems very strong up there, plus Monaco put the original scissors arm on top so obviously they thought it was plenty strong to hold it! I suppose that could be true for Winnebago, not sure about that!

Old 04-15-2015, 02:29 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
I don't have a rain gutter like yours on my Monaco, so Im thinking to attach it to the under side of the door frame opening, as for the sissor arm, completely wore out and starting to rub against the frame. I removed it to prevent further damage. I like the idea of what you did. thanks for the pics. we are full-time camp hosts here in Oregon and other places, we are in and out all day long, so I think your fix will do just fine.
Hugh
Old 04-15-2015, 02:40 PM   #22
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughfechtler View Post
I don't have a rain gutter like yours on my Monaco, so Im thinking to attach it to the under side of the door frame opening, as for the sissor arm, completely wore out and starting to rub against the frame. I removed it to prevent further damage. I like the idea of what you did. thanks for the pics. we are full-time camp hosts here in Oregon and other places, we are in and out all day long, so I think your fix will do just fine.
Hugh

Hugh, actually it should be easier to attach the body bracket without the rain gutter. As I said, I really wish I had ordered the other brackets and not used the rain gutter. With the alternate bracket I could have attached directly to the body door frame and it would be much stronger! Good luck!

Old 04-16-2015, 08:37 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughfechtler View Post
so Im thinking to attach it to the under side of the door frame opening
Are you saying at the bottom of the door? It may be less visible there, and certainly easier to work on, but it may also turn into a trip hazard since it will intrude somewhat into the door opening when open. Be careful!
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 09:25 AM   #24
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Loving it more every day! Wish I had done it a LONG time ago! Oh, well, we live and learn!

Old 04-17-2015, 10:12 AM   #25

what if you wanted to put 2 gas shocks on the door, one on the top, one on the bottom. I don't see how this could be a problem...? Except if it pulls the door open when you open it... cool...
Old 04-17-2015, 10:39 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
No, I'm going to install the thing at the top replacing to wore out sissier arm.
Old 04-18-2015, 06:40 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Parts are here. I going to do this as well. Tired of getting bumped by door if there is any incline where we are stopped.
This is an excellent tip!
Old 04-18-2015, 08:54 AM   #28
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennieH View Post
Parts are here. I going to do this as well. Tired of getting bumped by door if there is any incline where we are stopped.
This is an excellent tip!
Good luck Bennie! Give us some pics when you're finished!

Tags
door, gas, install