Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2015, 06:07 PM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Gas door prop installed!

I finally finished replacing the old scissors arm with a new gas prop opener!

I'll post some info for others that have coaches similar to mine, hoping to save you a little head-scratching!

Below is the gas prop that I used. Steve Ownby suggested this one and it turned out to be perfect for my coach! I was a little concerned about the pressure, but it's exactly right for my door.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I ordered the brackets below because the mounting flange is only 3/4" wide, and would fit well on the trim around the door and the door frame.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I had planned to mount them with the ball on the door bracket turned up and the ball on the frame bracket turned down. After they came in, I realized that the ball on the door frame bracket would be too low and the prop would hit the top of the door. At this point I had two choices...I could order a different bracket that had the ball mounted on the opposite side of the plate which would be perfect, OR I could drill a hole in the aluminum rain gutter above the door and screw the bracket to the gutter with the ball sticking through. Being the impatient guy that I am, I elected to mount it to the rain gutter. I had to put the bracket in a vise and cut off the back mounting flange so it would not stick up above the gutter. I really wished I had ordered the correct bracket as it would have made a much neater installation, with a LOT less trouble. Below is the bracket I should have used on the door frame.
Amazon.com: JR Products BR-12553 10mm Angled Gas Spring Mounting Bracket: Automotive

This is what the bracket looked like mounted through the gutter. It looks like a mess because of the RV Goop I used to seal around it. Of course, nobody will see that unless they're on a ladder! I put three #10 x 1" stainless-steel screws through the back of the gutter to strengthen it. I used three #10 x 3/4" stainless-steel machine screws with locknuts to secure the bracket to the gutter.

The tricky part of this installation, at least for me, was getting the brackets positioned for the best angle to the door, getting the door to open at least 90 degrees, and having the distance between the brackets for the gas prop to fully close (compress). For my coach, that worked out to be 8" from the latch side of the door to the ball on the door-mounted bracket, and 3" from the top corner of the door on the hinge side to the ball of the bracket mounted through the gutter. This would be different for some doors, since mine is narrower at the top. The gas prop I used is 12" long when closed (compressed). I allowed an extra inch just to have a "fudge-factor".

I cut some pieces from an old fauxwood venetian blind slat, painted them black, and used RV Goop to stick them over the holes left by the scissors arm.

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2015, 07:09 PM   #2

Nice job. Appreciate your posting the info on parts, etc.

Old 04-07-2015, 09:38 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingCajun View Post
Nice job. Appreciate your posting the info on parts, etc.

Thanks!

Old 04-07-2015, 11:00 AM   #4

Nice job. Funny how little things like this really get to bug you... and you wonder "why didn't the designer of the coach think of this?"
Todd157k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 11:08 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Joe,
It looks like you need 1 bracket of each style, is this correct.

I've been contemplating making this modification. My scissor arms continue to get loose. I tried to repair ~3 years ago but continue to have problems.

Thanks for the post with pictures (which are worth a thousand words).
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 11:34 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
Joe,
It looks like you need 1 bracket of each style, is this correct.

I've been contemplating making this modification. My scissor arms continue to get loose. I tried to repair ~3 years ago but continue to have problems.

Thanks for the post with pictures (which are worth a thousand words).

Hi Jim! Yep, you really need one of each style. That means you will have one of each style left over, since they come in packages of two, but maybe you could give the extras to a friend! I really wish I had done that instead of using the rain gutter. When the door opens you can see the gutter bend a little at the end, although I don't think it will ever be a problem.

Old 04-07-2015, 12:24 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Keep us posted as to how well the strut keeps the door open when the wind is blowing over the scissor hinge.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 01:15 PM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Lindy View Post
Keep us posted as to how well the strut keeps the door open when the wind is blowing over the scissor hinge.

My scissors arm would not hold the door open at all! I tried tightening it a couple of times by hammering the rivet in the middle, but it never lasted long. I believe the gas prop will hold it against a pretty stiff wind. You could always use a higher pressure, maybe 20 lbs, if that was a problem. I thought of doing that, but I wanted the door to open and close easily, yet still hold it open against a moderate wind.

Old 04-07-2015, 02:33 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
When the door opens you can see the gutter bend a little at the end
I'm curious why you didn't leave the scissor arm in place to act as a positive end stop so it doesn't open too far and put strain on the strut and bracket? Yes, the scissor arm is mostly useless for holding the door open (hence adding the strut) but it should still be able to do the job of limiting the open distance.
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 04:50 PM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShapeShifter View Post
I'm curious why you didn't leave the scissor arm in place to act as a positive end stop so it doesn't open too far and put strain on the strut and bracket? Yes, the scissor arm is mostly useless for holding the door open (hence adding the strut) but it should still be able to do the job of limiting the open distance.

Probably not a good reason, but I didn't like the looks of it up there!

Old 04-07-2015, 05:00 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Hey, that's as good a reason as any!
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 05:51 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I have to add this to my list. Thanks for posting it.
Old 04-07-2015, 06:19 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I think I am missing something.

I like the strut, but I dont see what the scissor arm has to do with keeping the door open. To shut my door I have to open the door handle a bit to release the door so it can shut. I dont know what the door handle is "catching" on but I have yet to see winds blow it shut.
Old 04-07-2015, 10:18 PM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by scep View Post
I think I am missing something.

I like the strut, but I dont see what the scissor arm has to do with keeping the door open. To shut my door I have to open the door handle a bit to release the door so it can shut. I dont know what the door handle is "catching" on but I have yet to see winds blow it shut.
That's the way the door works on our coach too. I think it changed in 2000 when Monaco decided to start building their own doors, which did not have an open door locking mechanism and relied on the scissors above the door to do the job. It was a poorly thought out design.

Jim

Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, gas, install