Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2012, 10:35 PM   #1

Gas Engine Conversion to Run on LP

Am I in the right forum for this?????

If it's been posted elsewhere, please (nicely) direct me.

A buddy an I were motorcycling thou the mountains Idyllwild, CA today and by chance met an employee of the local commercial LP distribute. He mentioned that his company converts all of their gas trucks (commercial and personal pickups) to run on LP; although he did not know if this increased the mileage and or performance. Therefore I thought that this would be an interesting question to ask this knowledgeable group of RVers: Has anyone out there converted their Class A from gas to run on LP? If yes, what are the differences in performance and mileage?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2012, 10:54 PM   #2

There are companies out there that make engine specific gas to LP conversion kits. I'm not aware of the cost anymore, its been so long since I inquired about them. The dealership I worked for in FL sold quite a few motorhomes to European customers and they tended to prefer LP because its apparently less expensive and more plentiful than gasoline. I do know this about it. Its a higher octane than gasoline, but you do lose some power, though Im not aware of how much anymore either.....

rvguy40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 10:56 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
I think the negitives greatly out weight the positives for a LP only RV.
And i think they still out weight the negitive even if it is a dual fuel RV.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 10:59 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekanic View Post
I think the negitives greatly out weight the positives for a LP only RV.
And i think they still out weight the negitive even if it is a dual fuel RV.
And the negatives are...?
Old 06-16-2012, 11:13 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just For Fun View Post
And the negatives are...?
Energy density -- LPG tanks must be larger to give similar range we are used to with gas or diesel. Also, the tanks must hold the fuel under great pressure, so they are heavier and bulkier.
Refueling -- The number of public refuel stations is still very limited, although I noticed an LPG fueling station being built at a Flying J in Kansas last week,
Expense -- Cost of conversion and installation of tanks can run over $3000. Right now the tax on LPG is lower, so cost could be a positive, but just wait, the politicians will change that when the notice a new source of revenue.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 11:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Energy density -- LPG tanks must be larger to give similar range we are used to with gas or diesel. Also, the tanks must hold the fuel under great pressure, so they are heavier and bulkier.
Refueling -- The number of public refuel stations is still very limited, although I noticed an LPG fueling station being built at a Flying J in Kansas last week,
Expense -- Cost of conversion and installation of tanks can run over $3000. Right now the tax on LPG is lower, so cost could be a positive, but just wait, the politicians will change that when the notice a new source of revenue.
OK. With our "around town" RVing, it will take a looooong time to accumulate $3000 in fuel savings.

I like that: Simple logic.
Old 06-17-2012, 12:25 AM   #7

LPG is used a lot in off road apps, reason is cheap "fuel injection" with no computer. Usually run fork lift tanks. As said you don't get a lot of run time with two 30 pound tanks. Some city buses have been successful but they run a dedicated route and fuel stops are not a problem.
Old 06-17-2012, 04:50 PM   #8

LPG convertions on todays computer controlled gas engines are complex and exspensive.U lose power and fuel mileage.It makes no sence to convert class A motorhomes
Old 06-17-2012, 06:13 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Roush propane conversions for various Fords advertise no loss in power, torque or towing capacity. They are available for the 5.4L V8 and 6.8L V10 and the E450 DRW cutaway van chassis, but I don't know that they are available for the F53. They ARE pricey!!

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 06:36 PM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
I always wanted to pare down the weight of the RV and then add in a Hybrid electric/6 cylinder direct injected or diesel engine...
Old 06-17-2012, 06:41 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
Roush propane conversions for various Fords advertise no loss in power, torque or towing capacity. They are available for the 5.4L V8 and 6.8L V10 and the E450 DRW cutaway van chassis, but I don't know that they are available for the F53. They ARE pricey!!

Rusty
Yah and GM says they build the best vehicles.I did LPG convertions for a living in the the midto late 90,s and they all lost power and mileage
the deal was fuel was cheaper and extremely clean burning hence ;oil stays clean and motor lasts longer
Old 06-17-2012, 06:53 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
I'm sure that was the case with the Impco carburetor conversions, but with the EFI engines where Roush supplies new fuel system components (including injectors) and reprograms the ECUs, I'll tend to believe his dyno results until proven to be untrue. Jack Roush is a pretty credible individual - you might want to Google him if you're not familiar with his work with Ford and his NASCAR and other racing teams.

Rusty
Old 06-17-2012, 08:07 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Not worth debating. Have a nice day.

Rusty
Old 06-17-2012, 08:24 PM   #14

I converted a new 34' airex by rexal to duel fuel back in the early 90's. Mainly because I traveled to Mexico where propane was .25 a gal. and also to Canada where gas was about $5.00 a gal.at that time. I live in El Paso, Tx. We would go to both places every year. I could fill up with gas & propane in New york go 600 mile round trip in & out of Canada without buying any expensive gas. You do lose a little bit of power and I went from about 8 mpg to about 6 mpg. and the engine ran alot cleaner. Now days I don't go to Mexico and Canada gas is about $6.00 a gal. so it would take a long time to make the $ back.

Tags
gas