Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-08-2014, 08:51 AM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Gas gauge math

Leaving in our new to us Bounder. Gas gauge does not work. I know basically how to do the math to not run out but was wondering how others keep track as this seems to be not that uncommon. I plan to fill up $$$ and think i can make our trip in 1 tank. But hate to have to keep it full. I think its 75 gals. $$$ I'm cheap.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2014, 09:10 AM   #2

Maybe better is knowing your mpg, times maybe 60 gallons for your safe driving distance. Leaving 15 gallons for reserve.

Also if you have a smart phone, down load Gas Buddy, and check ahead for fuel prices and buy lower priced fuel when possible. We often find in a town just a mile off the highway much cheaper fuel than at the highway exits. Gas Buddy allows you to not only find the deals, but to do a Satellite look at the station for access. Of course saving only $ .10 per gallon on 60 will not buy a Subway sandwich. We tow a truck, and the savings is not often worth the pain to get to diesel pumps, and we stick to the truck fuel lanes.

sailwing2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 09:31 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Some 60 years ago I was told it cost no more to keep the top half of the tank full
as it does the bottom and it still holds true also you walk less getting fuel.
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 09:39 AM   #4

To be safe. Figuring 5 mpg for 70 equals 350 miles. I would fill it up and not go much over 300 miles and fill again. You will be safe and not run out. With no gauge you are really in the dark.
Old 03-08-2014, 10:35 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
I don't know the best method, but I do know that it takes Coach-Net two hours to deliver fuel in North Atlanta on a Sunday afternoon. And the Georgia DOT does not appreciate you parking on their new concrete while you wait. Selling the wife on the cost/benefits of fixing the guage was an easy sell after this adventure.

p.s. The coach is a bear (practically impossible) to steer without any power steering when coasting to a stop.
Old 03-08-2014, 01:14 PM   #6

I had the same issue, no gas gauge, about a year ago. As a fulltimer it was a pain, especially if you are boondocking and want to have enough gas to run generator. I just got real familiar with the trip odometer. You really have no option but to run heavy in weight, on the top 2/3 side of the tank. Gassers mpg can vary a lot due to wind, weight, hills, etc. So I chose to operate on the side of caution a bit. The hassle, for me, wasn't worth running out in no man's land. Warning ...... repairing the problem does not work well with being cheap.
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 06:50 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks. I know I will havta keep her topped off. I have a 10 gallon gas tank if I have to walk. And Good Sam's. I also hate to have gas sit too long. As a side note,this may be an expensive repair. I haven't had time to look real close. Don't want to drop the tank. What about level detectors like for waste tanks. Would they read gas. Wouldn't be as accurate I guess but cheaper. Maybe.
Old 03-08-2014, 07:00 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmer594 View Post
.....But hate to have to keep it full....
Why? The fuel at the top of the tank costs the same as the fuel at the bottom. If you need to keep a $100 cushion of fuel in the tank to avoid running out, think of it as the price you have to pay for being too cheap to get the gauge fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmer594 View Post
....Gas gauge does not work..... I know basically how to do the math..... think i can make our trip in 1 tank..... I think its 75 gals. $$$ I'm cheap.
Fix it!! Nobody gives out prizes for being cheap. You basically know the math, you think you can make the trip on one tank, you think you have a 75 gal tank. Lotsa "thinkin" going on here, not many hard facts. The first time the tank runs dry you look like a jerk, you're kicking yourself in the ass, and (much more importantly) your wife's kicking you in the ass!!! Get the gauge fixed, and everyone (your wife) feels secure, you come off like the pro who anticipates problems and avoids them, and mama's happy. If that's not worth $100 to you, well...........
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 07:06 PM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Lol. Wow. Guess I'm gonna get that gauge fixed. But not b4 tomorrow. Lol
Old 03-11-2014, 07:41 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailwing2003 View Post
Maybe better is knowing your mpg, times maybe 60 gallons for your safe driving distance. Leaving 15 gallons for reserve.

Also if you have a smart phone, down load Gas Buddy, and check ahead for fuel prices and buy lower priced fuel when possible. We often find in a town just a mile off the highway much cheaper fuel than at the highway exits. Gas Buddy allows you to not only find the deals, but to do a Satellite look at the station for access. Of course saving only $ .10 per gallon on 60 will not buy a Subway sandwich. We tow a truck, and the savings is not often worth the pain to get to diesel pumps, and we stick to the truck fuel lanes.
Alright I downloaded Gas Buddy but can't find where you use satellite to view station, all I see is a picture of some stations that people took and uploaded. Can you direct me?
jergeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 07:55 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jergeod View Post
Alright I downloaded Gas Buddy but can't find where you use satellite to view station, all I see is a picture of some stations that people took and uploaded. Can you direct me?
I was just wondering the same thing. It would be a good feature to use if I could just find it.
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 07:57 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Go to "Directions" and use GoogleMaps. Select Satellite from your settings. Then zoom in.

That's how I do it. Your phone may be different.
NukeRef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:26 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
You can also go to gasbuddy.com for all this and a trip planner that can help you plan even better.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:10 AM   #14

Yes, Nuke got it right.

After you have touched on the station, and the photo comes up, with the gas prices below, just below the photo is "Directions to Station".

When you touch that, you will leave Gas Buddy, and be asked it you want to are taken to a new box, to "View Directions"?

Touch "Continue" and see the Satellite view. There on that new screen you can then enlarge the sky view of the station, seeing the streets and best approach and escape routes.

sailwing2003 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas