Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2016, 11:05 AM   #1

Gas Gauge not functioning properly

We purchased our 2004 Safari in 4/12. The gas gauge was not working properly so in 5/12 the sending unit was replaced and "tested". We have continued to have problems with the gauge and the service dealer has no suggestions to offer. The gauge does not register full when we have just filled up the tank. Also, the gauge will register empty then when we fill it up it only takes a few gallons so it really wasn't empty. Will take all suggestions and solutions to this problem. The service dealer is recommending we take it to a chassis repair place.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2016, 11:25 AM   #2

Check all the ground connections. Somewhere in the circuit there is a poor connection. If you can obtain an electrical drawing it would help you identify how the fuel gauge circuit is wired.

Old 09-12-2016, 11:28 AM   #3

Do you have any idea if it is a Centroid sending unit? If so, they have a very knowledgeable technician that will work with you to troubleshoot.
tkcas01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 02:31 PM   #4

Question Gas gauge not functioning properly more info

I don't know what type of sending unit is installed. Additional information that might trigger a solution is the low fuel light will come on and the RV will sputter like it is running out of gas. Then when I fill up, the unit doesn't take much gas so it wasn't close to empty. Also, when full, the gauge will show 3/4 full and the gauge doesn't move after driving for miles. The local service dealer suggested opening the fuel caps on both sides while fueling. Tried that and no difference. Appreciate any and all suggestions. Need to get this resolved. Don't like driving long distances when I don't have an accurate reading on gas level.
Old 09-23-2016, 04:33 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickster19 View Post
I don't know what type of sending unit is installed. Additional information that might trigger a solution is the low fuel light will come on and the RV will sputter like it is running out of gas. Then when I fill up, the unit doesn't take much gas so it wasn't close to empty. Also, when full, the gauge will show 3/4 full and the gauge doesn't move after driving for miles. The local service dealer suggested opening the fuel caps on both sides while fueling. Tried that and no difference. Appreciate any and all suggestions. Need to get this resolved. Don't like driving long distances when I don't have an accurate reading on gas level.
Check your grounds. That is usually the culprit. That was my problem. It was the the main chassis ground was corroded on my rig but it could be one of many grounds in the system. Start around your dash area and in the compartment around your Genny then work your way back to the engine compartment. Good luck.

Craig & Carolyn Roberts Apple Valley, CA
2006 Newmar 3910 KSDP 400 ISL Cummins Spartan Mountian Master Chassis
Toad: 2010 Chevy Colorado 4X4
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 12:15 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Some good recommendations listed. I've learned to rely on the mileage too. I always reset the odometer when I re fuel and at the 600 miles, I start looking for a fuel station.

windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas