Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2012, 08:49 AM   #15

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Hayne View Post
No, I have not had a chance to check the wiring and test it, hopefully I will be able to in the next week or two.
I think I am going to open the dash panel and check the gas guage wire with one that works, like the battery or oil gauge, it might be a bad gauge, (keeping fingers crossed).

Thanks,
Rocky
Rocky,

After I mentioned my problem with the anti-slosh module in my 1991 Ford MH, I got myself curious and did some research. I found this is common in older Fords. Seems this 2x2 module has a tendency to crack or wear out at the solder joints where it plugs into the inst cluster. It's suppose to be an easy fix, pull it out, re-solder and replace. It seems when this happens, it can cause all kinds of problems, even complete failure of the gauge.

The below link will give you all kinds of links to research this problem. IMHO, you should put this on your list of things to check.

Google Search

John...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2012, 12:54 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
fuel gauge

Please don't let me take any time away from Rocky but I have a simular problem on my 02 Diplomat. I recently purchased this MH so haven't done much. My gauge does not move from the full mark....no, it's not full. any thoughts....?

Old 01-29-2012, 06:07 AM   #17

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mak1
Please don't let me take any time away from Rocky but I have a simular problem on my 02 Diplomat. I recently purchased this MH so haven't done much. My gauge does not move from the full mark....no, it's not full. any thoughts....?
My first thought is the float in the tank is stuck. But I'm no expert on fuel gauge systems. Come back with more details on the chassis, Ford, GM, Frieghtliner, gas, diesel.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:43 AM   #18
D M

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mak1 View Post
Hi Mak1 try to unplug the wire that goes to the fuel tank sender if you can get to it. The guage should drop to E. If it does not you may have a short in the wire going to the tank,maybe a bare spot rubbing the frame or a bad guage? If it drops to E then the sender unit is stuck. Hope this helps.
D M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:46 PM   #19

Hey Guys,

Found the problem, It has another ground wire that had to be connected, so now the gas gauge works FINALLY 900.00 later. One RV place wanted 1,500.00. Whew-Who, no more clocking my milege.
Thanks for all your replies and help
Happy RV'ing

Rocky
Old 02-10-2012, 01:39 AM   #20

Ford Super Duty Owner
Rocky
Your old pump/gauge unit had 3 wires, 1+ to the pump and 1+ to the gauge and 1- that grounded the Pump/Gauge unit. Your new Pump/Gauge unit has 4 wires, 1+ and 1- for the pump and 1+ and 1- for the gauge. If you ordered the correct jumper harness for your new Pump/Gauge unit, that jumper harness corrects the 4 wire to 3 wire problem. You previously stated that you had followed all the steps.
For my own information, where did you find the other ground problem?
<May your next 50,000 miles all be downhill>
Dwight
Old 02-10-2012, 08:32 AM   #21

Ford Super Duty Owner
Mak1,

The 2002 F53 Fuel Gauge

The instrument cluster is hardwired to the fuel sending unit, which is a variable resistor controlled by the action of a float arm. When the fuel level is low, resistance in the unit is low. When the fuel level is high, the resistance is high. The instrument cluster micro-processor monitors the input from the fuel sender and commands the fuel gauge indication according to the fuel level data.

/
subford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 06:04 PM   #22
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"Dwight" ...... I don't think someone could have paid for better information than you provided.

"Jlyon69" ...... You're also a good example of someone going out of their way to help. This is what sometimes makes this forum great.

"mak1" ....your coach uses a Sentroid sending unit. I'm not at home and typing on my phone. Send me a PM so that I remember and I'll send you the info on your sending unit and how to repair it.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 07:02 PM   #23

Ford Super Duty Owner
I take it that Mak1's RV is not on a Ford F53. Please delete my post above.
subford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 12:26 AM   #24

Hey Dwight,
Thanks for your thoughts, I will be at the RV place tomorrow talking to my guy about this and confirming its in working order. I will get back to you.

Thanks again,
Rocky
Old 02-11-2012, 07:18 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
fuel gauge

Diplomat Dan...Forgive my ignorance, but how do I submit a PM (I assume, personal message). So anyway, I removed the cover as instructed. checked, by wiggling, all four wires. Time didn't permit anything further, but nothing loose...but a really nasty enviroment for those wires to live in. Is there a common place to look for ground wire to chassis?

Tags
gas