Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-09-2014, 06:32 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Gas Generators

I have a Onan 6500W gas Gen,I have put new plugs and wires,air filter, oil filter, new starter,new fuel filter. Had no problems until a few days ago. Gen will start, run for a minute then shut down. It acts as though fuel pump is acting up. Onan wants $120 and up for theirs, has anyone used a different, more economical one that works? All advice greatly appreciated. I ran a search on our forum with no results, very surprised.

Thom

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2014, 06:47 PM   #2

As a test use a new length of fuel line that goes directly into a portable 2 gallon gas can. If it runs good this way, it could mean your other fuel line has a tiny hole which let's in air, or the fuel line could be kinked or restricted in some way going to the vehicle tank.

Old 10-09-2014, 07:18 PM   #3

Thom --If you do find out you need a fuel pump I took my old one to Advance Auto and was lucky enough to have a employee who was on the ball and found one that was almost an exact replacement. Make sure it only has pressure in the 3 to 5 lb. range. I think the price was in the mid $30 range. Good luck
Old 10-10-2014, 03:38 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godtomley View Post
I have a Onan 6500W gas Gen,I have put new plugs and wires,air filter, oil filter, new starter,new fuel filter. Had no problems until a few days ago. Gen will start, run for a minute then shut down. It acts as though fuel pump is acting up. Onan wants $120 and up for theirs, has anyone used a different, more economical one that works? All advice greatly appreciated. I ran a search on our forum with no results, very surprised.

Thom
Thom;

Most of the Onan fuel pumps are made by Airtex. You can search on Amazon and e-bay for your fuel pump model number. I purchased an Airtex for my 5500 through Amazon for $38.00 with free shipping. It was a perfect replacement match. It didn't fix my shut down problem, but the pump works great.
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport and/or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 05:35 PM   #5

I agree with getting the Airtex from Amazon. Got mine for around $45 with free shipping but I did have to reverse the polarity on the wires for it to hook up other than that hooked up and works great and it FIXED my shutdown so far!
Old 10-10-2014, 05:54 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I would go with "pasdad1" suggestion. The OP doesn't list it, but his coach is a 1997. I would check to see if his hoses are bad.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 05:58 PM   #7

Also, do you get any kind of error code? On mine, I got a low oil pressure warning...changed fuel pump, filters, etc....nothing worked until I switched to synthetic 15-50 oil...problem resolved now for around 32 generator hours......(mine is a Kubota, but may be relevant since you just changed the oil).
Old 10-10-2014, 10:49 PM   #8

I have the Onan gasoline 6500. It is very sensitive to oil level. Oil level down 1/3 on dipstick hash marks, has shut it down when oil gets thoroughly warmed up.
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 01:29 AM   #9

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The problem with the one on my old RV was as stated above a bad fuel line. Used the same trick with a hose to a gas can to test it. The pain was getting at the connection on the top of the tank. It took me awhile to figure out how they got to it but it didn't require dropping the tank.

HerbZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 06:47 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcnitt View Post
Also, do you get any kind of error code? On mine, I got a low oil pressure warning...changed fuel pump, filters, etc....nothing worked until I switched to synthetic 15-50 oil...problem resolved now for around 32 generator hours......(mine is a Kubota, but may be relevant since you just changed the oil).

Exactly the same oil I put in. Now I have an updated situation which has my mind boggled. Leaving campsite in Alabama headed to North Georgia,motorhome idling, for fun I tried to start the generator, cranked right up ran it for 2-4 hours no problems.i'm on shore power now and I'm going to give it a day try to crank it see what happens.thanks to everyone for your comments, truly appreciate them.

Thom
Old 10-11-2014, 08:02 AM   #11

I know this is obvious, but maybe not; if you are running the generator from the main fuel tank, a low gas level will shut down the generator at about one-quarter tank. That's so you can't run yourself out of gas in the campground and be unable to drive to a station to refill.

Just a thought.....

Tom
TLGPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 08:43 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks Tom, I always try to fill up at about half a tank.however, it is a gauge and I think we all know what gauges can do.
Old 10-11-2014, 08:46 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
Thom;

Most of the Onan fuel pumps are made by Airtex. You can search on Amazon and e-bay for your fuel pump model number. I purchased an Airtex for my 5500 through Amazon for $38.00 with free shipping. It was a perfect replacement match. It didn't fix my shut down problem, but the pump works great.

I think if I can get a fuel pump for under 50 bucks, might be a good backup item. Thanks for your reply.
Old 10-11-2014, 08:47 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
As a test use a new length of fuel line that goes directly into a portable 2 gallon gas can. If it runs good this way, it could mean your other fuel line has a tiny hole which let's in air, or the fuel line could be kinked or restricted in some way going to the vehicle tank.

When it quits raining, I think I'm going to run a check on the entire fuel line. Appreciate the input.

Tags
gas, generator