Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-27-2015, 05:12 PM   #1

Gas grill

Am asking for info. Have a Charbroiled gas grill. Have been using those little green tanks of propane. Works great but sometimes you run out in the middle of cooking. So we purchased a neat 4lb. one. Fits in a bay wonderful. Used for the first time tonight couldn't get the flame to burn hot. Flame height at most was 1/8 inch. Could not cook hot dogs. Bummer! Has anyone had this problem? And maybe know what is wrong? Thanks Nanaj

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2015, 05:19 PM   #2

Sounds like you may just have bad tank. We have had a little tank do that too, just changed tanks and it worked just fine.

Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 05:27 PM   #3

Had a similar problem and found it was the hose, not the tank. Hose would not pass enough propane to run the grill.

Test the tank on a home grill to prove it is not a problem (that is what I did).
Old 02-27-2015, 05:31 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It might be a regulator issue.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 06:33 PM   #5

When they filled the tank for the first time, did they purge the tank first?
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 06:47 PM   #6

BTW,where did you get the 4 # Tank?
Old 02-27-2015, 06:51 PM   #7

Does it have a safety valve? My home grill will slow the gas flow if the valve is on when the tank is attached and turned on with the flame valve on.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 01:55 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
You might look in the instructions for the adapter hose you are using. My Weber brand adapter hose had a safety check valve in the hose that was such a PIA that I ended up removing it and now all is good. It you turned the gas on at the tank and didn't wait for several minutes for the pressure to equallize on both sides of this check valve before you opened the valve on the BBQ and tried to light it then it would shut off the flow through the hose. Sometimes the valve would stick even if you waited the specified time. The check valve was just a steel ball inside the brass fitting.
Old 02-28-2015, 06:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
Does it have a safety valve? My home grill will slow the gas flow if the valve is on when the tank is attached and turned on with the flame valve on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by c_oneil View Post
You might look in the instructions for the adapter hose you are using. My Weber brand adapter hose had a safety check valve in the hose that was such a PIA that I ended up removing it and now all is good. It you turned the gas on at the tank and didn't wait for several minutes for the pressure to equallize on both sides of this check valve before you opened the valve on the BBQ and tried to light it then it would shut off the flow through the hose. Sometimes the valve would stick even if you waited the specified time. The check valve was just a steel ball inside the brass fitting.
I didn't know this! No wonder my Weber grill was acting up. Next time (tomorrow) I will give the gas time to equalize before opening the valves and firing the grill up. The last time I had trouble getting the grill hot it was -5 outside and I blamed it on that, Now I know it was probably the safety valve. THANKS!
Old 03-01-2015, 06:08 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_oneil View Post
Maybe that explains why my Big Easy oil less turkey fryer stopped working properly? Flame would start out ok, 30 min later it would be out. Re-start and flame would be very low. I finally gave up and bought a new one, but still have the old one so I'll take a look at the hose.
Old 03-01-2015, 09:49 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
I have had Weber replace my regulator two times. They claim it was designed for the small spin on tanks and the extra pressure from the larger tank and hose would trigger some type of safety valve and make the problem. You may be better off just keeping extra small containers on hand. I was also told by a person in a hardware store that sells that brand to turn on the grill prior to turning on the tank and that would bypass that safety issue. I'm still having trouble with low heat! I may return to the old grill (still in my garage) and sell the Weber in a garage sale. Never had the problem with that old grill, just liked the fact that Weber was easier to store in my RV.
Old 03-01-2015, 11:37 AM   #12

It is my humble opinion the pressure is the same no matter what the size of the tank or hose.

I found this explaining why some gas grills don't have a good flame.

Quote:
Why does my grill have little or no flame? According to the Coleman company there are at least three possible reasons. First is that the propane tank might have been improperly filled. All tanks must be purged of air before being filled with gas. This purging requires filling with a small amount of gas and then emptying. Propane is heavier than air and will force the air out of the tank during the emptying. Filling with gas then can proceed. If the tank is not purged then the air is the first gas to exit the tank and the grill will either have no flame or a very low flame for possibly over an hour until the air does fully exit the tank. A second cause might be the automatic activation of a surge protection device within the propane regulator. If, for example, you turn on the tank valve before you fully turn off each of the burner knobs on the grill the surge protector will likely sense a leak and activate. The fuel flow will be very low. The remedy is to turn everything off, disconnect the tank, and reconnect everything before starting over. A third possible cause might be that the tank was overfilled. All propane tanks are now fitted with Overfill Protection Devices (OPD) which is designed to be activated by a float valve. The OPD feature prevents overfilling of the tank by shutting off the valve. A 20% empty space is necessary to prevent the tank from venting large amounts of propane when the ambient temperature rises. This OPD can also be inadvertently activated by tilting a very full tank during moving.
I have a 1 gallon or 5 pound sized propane tank I used a lot for portable grills. However it has just pasted the 12 year life and needs to be re-certified. Now I need to call around and see if I can find someone that can do that. Looks like I can buy a 20 pound portable tank for $30 but these little 5 pound tanks are $60!

I use Tractor Supply to fill all of my tanks, even the one on the coach. I just pay for the actual gallons pumped.
Old 03-06-2015, 06:16 AM   #13

gas grill

Thanks so much for all the feed back on our problem with low flame, tried the suggestions,, it is cooking all right now. but now it keeps going out,, so need to fine tune again. We have had high winds, but it seems to not get regular flow of propane...
Old 03-06-2015, 08:42 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Often the problem is a build-up of rust, grease or an insect nest at the entrance to the burner tube, where the gas comes in and mixes with air. Even a small blockage disrupts the flow enough that it doesn't mix air and fuel properly.

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas