Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-19-2007, 02:19 PM   #15
Newmar Owners Club
As for water, it all depends. How long will we be gone and will we be in territory we know.

If we will be gone a long time, I fill the water tank. I like having water we are used to available, if we need it. I also fill the tank if we will be traveling with many folks.

If it's just the wife and me and we are traveling a short distance (Florida Winter camping with friends) 1/4 tank is fine.

I have 105 gallons of freash water capacity. At 8.3 lbs/gallon it comes to 872 lbs. I have never been able to determine the cost (fuel) to carry the additional weight. At this time, I feel the weight is an insignificant hit to the MPG. The items mentioned in my OP make the big differences.

My toad weighs 5074 lbs street weight. The best I can determine the toad costs me .3 MPG. Consider carrying the amount of water you are comfortable with and forget the effect on MPG.

On the topic of A/C, what has been previously posted is also my experience. Consider keeping the coach comfortable for everyone onboard. My gen set takes about 2/3 gallon per hour. It is not enough for me to be concerned about.

2005 Newmar KSDP 3910 + GMC ENVOY XUV 37K lbs Moving Down The Road
The Avatar Is Many Times Around The USA
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2007, 04:21 AM   #16

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We've found that it helps the dash air greatly if on hot days we use the roof air to cool down the interior either on shore power or generator before we start traveling down the road and that the dash air is then able to maintain a comfortable temperature in our rv. The dash air is not powerfull enough the cool off a warm rv by itself so if we don't do this it stays warm inside no matter how long we leave the dash air on. I've heard of some people hanging a curtain across their motorhome just behind the driver and passenger seats to reduce the volume of area the dash air has to cool but have never tried that. Precooling our motorhome seems to do the trick.

Steve & Nancy
2005 Itasca Sunrise 33', W20 Chassis, Ultrapower, Henderson Trac Bar
2012 Chevy Captiva Sport AWD, ReadyBrute Elite Tow Bar, Blue Ox Base Plate, Protect-A-Tow
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 02:28 PM   #17
A lot of factors will come into play. Weather, hot or cold. Ground mountains or flat land. Are you at max weight or running light. Do you have a heavy foot or light foot. 9 is do able but 7 to 8 might be more likely!

2015 Thor Challenger 37KT
Trav'ler Direct TV dish, Progressive surge protected, Magna Shield covers, RV SnapPad, 5 starter, and Jeep Cherokee towed.
KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 02:23 PM   #18
Damon Owners Club
Mine is a 26' daybreak, and I think I'm getting about 9=10 mpg. I will know for sure later this summer/fall. A friend of mine has a 34' bounder and he says 7 mpg without his toad and 5 mpg with it. YMMV

Callsign: KD8W
hamdave is offline   Reply With Quote