Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2016, 07:31 PM   #1

gas motorhome in the mountains

Hello: I am looking at buying a 37' coach with a ford F53 chassis. We intend to travel thru the cascades and rockies which are up to 14,000' elevation towing a
saturn Aura . Has anybody done this with aFord or Workhorse? Would appreciate any info.
Thanks, John.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2016, 07:48 PM   #2

I have a Suncruser set up like yours. I have had no issues with the Southern Applications

homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 08:48 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnlit View Post
Hello: I am looking at buying a 37' coach with a ford F53 chassis. We intend to travel thru the cascades and rockies which are up to 14,000' elevation towing a
saturn Aura . Has anybody done this with aFord or Workhorse? Would appreciate any info.
Thanks, John.
John, I have an F53, 36 ft Rexhall which weighs 20,000 and pull a 3500 lb Jeep. It has a 460 with Banks. We've traveled through the Intermountain West and yes, there are some pretty steep and long grades. It doesn't pull like a diesel but it will get up those grades sometimes dropping to 30 to 35 MPH.
Just make sure your cooling system is in good shape. Try to reduce weight by carrying less than 1/2 tank of water.
Ford engines are pretty much bulletproof, but I've been having transmission problems lately. Don't know if I can blame that on Intermountain driving.
Safe travels
a.j.
ajpaero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 09:16 PM   #4

We used to have a Ford E-450 V10, 31" Class C and I had a Scangauge in it that I set to display transmission oil temp and engine temp in degrees. It didn't have a problem with power but did get down to running in first gear and nearly full throttle at times, in very high mtn. passes like on I-70 west of Denver. The transmission temps got very high at times, 22O F, while climbing so I pulled over and stopped a couple of times , keeping the engine running to let things cool down. I'm not sure if the F53 has greater transmission cooling but being able to see what it is running at could be helpful. The biggest concern is going down hill and not allowing the speed to climb, using the brakes correctly to prevent brake pad overheating, not to over rev the engine going down hill in a lower gear , etc. My current Workhorse W22 chassis has a very cool running transmission and I've never got it warmer than 190 F after climbing for miles.
GREGORYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 09:59 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Our moho is 31' and we tow a Jeep Wrangler 2door. Last year we went over the Teton pass which is about a 10 degree climb and very curvy. Wasn't fast but we made it just fine. You'll get used to the V10 reving up to 4500, but it seems to like it just fine. Use the tow/haul button for down grades, if your year moho has it. Early years had a button to drop out of overdrive and I'm not sure how that works on down grades. Take you time and enjoy the view is the best way to travel.
Crabb E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 11:12 PM   #6

We have a 99 Southwind with the early V-10. No issues. Yes I-70 is a tough grade but we have been on worse. The engine does very well, as mentioned, about 35 mph has been the worst so far . I plan on getting the "Five star tuning" for it as I have only read good things about it.
Old 07-15-2016, 02:11 AM   #7

Curious: What road, other than Pikes Peak, is at 14000 feet. I just want to avoid it.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 05:29 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue46 View Post
Curious: What road, other than Pikes Peak, is at 14000 feet. I just want to avoid it.
Monarch Pass as I recall. Did that one towing a 16' travel trailer with my parents and a 240 cu in 6 cylinder Ford. That was an adventure
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 06:48 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
We drove thru the Rockys last summer with no problems. Get a 5 Star Tune and stick with the trucks up the long grades. X2 on the coolent system check & remember to watch the transmission temp. Ours never had a problem.

Enjoy a great trip.

Happy camping,

Dave
Old 07-15-2016, 06:54 AM   #10
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have driven 2 v10's over 93,000 miles in all 49 States and have gone over many mountains in the process. Go down as slow as you went up. Don't keep constant pressure on brakes. I apply the brake when I'm approaching a speed that is too fast IMO and slow it down with one long steady application to the brake. This gives them enough time to cool off before applying again.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 07:12 AM   #11

british columbia to California

Thanks everybody for your input. we are actually planning to travel from Montrealto british columbia and on to California. we are looking at 2 coaches.
the first ia a 2007 adventurer 35A with a workhorse and the othe is a national rv 37D with a Ford F53. I guess both can do the job.
Thanks, Hohn
Old 07-15-2016, 08:47 AM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I can't climb the grade or pass through the Eisenhower tunnel at 60 mph. But if I slow down, force the downshift into lower gear , and maintain a slow speed, its no problem. Put the 4-ways on, fall in line with the 18 wheelers, and enjoy the scenery.

Photo below - Just before entering the Eisenhower tunnel, east bound I-70, Elevation - 11,200 ft. I hold a nice steady 25 mph in first gear and keep the revs up. No problems with overheating, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Climbing_I70_1.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	133098  
Old 07-16-2016, 05:19 AM   #13

The higher RPM will keep the coolant flowing.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 06:51 AM   #14
RVM141

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
Monarch Pass as I recall. Did that one towing a 16' travel trailer with my parents and a 240 cu in 6 cylinder Ford. That was an adventure
Monarch Pass is 11,312 feet according to Wikipedia.

Jake

Retired-Jake is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, motorhome