Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2018, 12:01 AM   #15

Welcome to the forum!

We're sorry that it has taken a problem for you to join us, but we hope that you will stay engaged after you have a resolution.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2018, 05:54 AM   #16

Ford Super Duty Owner
Unfortunately, they are right. Your pump works, your generator works...but your pump cannot lift fuel from the tank. Sure you can blow bubbles into the tank, but the fuel pump can't overcome much of an air leak on the suction side.

This is the dreaded fuel tank issue. How to get to the top of it (maybe through a hole in your floor)? I ran an assumed MPG against odometer for years on my 1997 Bounder as dropping the tank to fix the fuel gauge was quite a project. I lived crossing my fingers to avoid the deadly F53 fuel pump issue to avoid dropping it.

Maybe you can reach in and get to the generator line...maybe the tank needs to be dropped. Hate the idea of an auxiliary fuel tank for the generator, but I just might do that too!
Sbrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 08:18 AM   #17

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbrownstein View Post
Unfortunately, they are right. Your pump works, your generator works...but your pump cannot lift fuel from the tank. Sure you can blow bubbles into the tank, but the fuel pump can't overcome much of an air leak on the suction side.

This is the dreaded fuel tank issue. How to get to the top of it (maybe through a hole in your floor)? I ran an assumed MPG against odometer for years on my 1997 Bounder as dropping the tank to fix the fuel gauge was quite a project. I lived crossing my fingers to avoid the deadly F53 fuel pump issue to avoid dropping it.

Maybe you can reach in and get to the generator line...maybe the tank needs to be dropped. Hate the idea of an auxiliary fuel tank for the generator, but I just might do that too!
I did the aux. bit temporarily since it probably wasn't up to standard in many books. Sold the coach 9yrs later and left it to the second owner for further evaluation.
My permanent fix, was to remove the fresh water tank, out from under the bed and for making an access hole, but somehow never got around to it.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 10:50 AM   #18

Ford Super Duty Owner
When I replaced the fuel pump in my F53 a couple months ago, I replaced the fuel lines to the genny and also the EVAP return lines. They were both dry and brittle..

If you're considering going inside the tank, take a look at the writeup with photos.. If you go in there, I'd replace the fuel pump and all the hoses while you have the tank dropped..

F53 Replace Fuel Pump – 1999 Southwind 35S

Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 01:42 PM   #19

Ford Super Duty Owner
When you replace the fuel line use fuel injection fuel line it is heavier duty.
John Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 06:51 AM   #20
T46

Gas not getting to generstor

Thank you for your redponse. I appreciate all the valuable responses that will guide me as I attack the problem. I very much apprrciate iRV2.
T46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 07:16 AM   #21
T46

Thank you for your detailed response. It will be valuable as I attack the problem. I very much appreciate this forum and all the helpful responses.
T46 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, generator