Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2012, 06:38 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Hi and

Although I agree with most who advise gas would be your best choice, there are a couple of qualifiers.

You didn't mention budget. For some folks, this isn't a major issue. For others it is. If size and comfort are important and budget isn't a major concern, why not go diesel?

The other piece of advice I would offer is to buy used. There are many good deals out there now and IMHO there's no point in taking the huge depreciation hit just to get a new rig.

With so many years left before retirement, you may well want to pick up a used gas coach (34'?) and get some experience under your belt with the idea that you will upgrade to diesel as your retirement nears. At that point you will have a much better understanding of what your need are and can make a better decision.

Feel free to use our search function to find a wealth of material on gas vs diesel and new vs used.

Best of luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2012, 06:51 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Go Gas
2007 Winnebago Adventurer
Herb Mar and camping dog Lucy

Old 04-28-2012, 07:12 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichatman View Post
I am sorry for asking this question because I know this is ask a lot of time. I will be purchasing a class a rv. I am just confused. I will be retiring in 12 years but I want to enjoy traveling now. I live in california and will be taking a trip to Disney World in my motor home when I buy it. After that trip I will only be making a few trips to the east to visit my brother within that 12 years before retirement. The motor home will be parked most of the time and maybe used twice a month on local west coast camp sites. I will probally do more traveling all over the US after retirement. Should I buy diesel now or gas since the motor will be sitting around and not being used. Help please. I want to hear from RV people not salesmen.
I guarantee the coach you purchase now will not be the coach you retire into in 12 years.

My suggestion is to buy something that will meet your needs now at a value. This suggests a used coach.

Once you have your (I'm assuming) first coach, you will find out what you like and don't like about this coach. Thus the argument you will trade up before retirement.

Regarding gas or diesel, this comes down to how you will use your first coach. Gas will be less expensive as a first coach, but I bet you will end up with a diesel coach in the future.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:02 PM   #18

I would like to thanks everyone for their opinions. I did forget a few things. My wife and I want to sleep about 6 people. The trips will be for our 6year old son and his cousins. At times we will be taking our parents to visit family near the east coast during the summer. We can afford about a $1,000 a month payment. We want comfort and space, also a smooth ride. I tow a 30ft Toy Hauler now with my truck. We have been camping for about two years it time to up grade to a class a motorhome. I am tire of hooking and unhooking. I just want to start and role.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:40 PM   #19

Purely from a "somebody said" point of view - I think a diesel might hold it's value better than a gas. Then when you said smooth and quiet - sounds like diesel. We only test drove gas coaches and bought a diesel coach so have limited knowledge. With 6 people maybe a model with bunks would be nice. Whatever you choose, you will love it. Happy and safe RVing.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:57 PM   #20

It's purely personal preference like do you want a Chevy,ford,dodge or a BMW,MB,Jag,Lexus they are all cars but not the same. It's all personal choice test drive both and you should be able to tell the difference.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:16 PM   #21

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
I would like to thanks everyone for their opinions. I did forget a few things. My wife and I want to sleep about 6 people. The trips will be for our 6year old son and his cousins. At times we will be taking our parents to visit family near the east coast during the summer. We can afford about a $1,000 a month payment. We want comfort and space, also a smooth ride. I tow a 30ft Toy Hauler now with my truck. We have been camping for about two years it time to up grade to a class a motorhome. I am tire of hooking and unhooking. I just want to start and role.
I'd like to change my suggestion that a gas coach (post #6) would fit your needs. Based on the highlighted parts of your latest post a nice older DP with air bag suspension now fits your needs best.

My wife has back issues that have prevented her from traveling with me for the past 8-9 years. We just completed a trip that consisted of two 8 hour pretty much non-stop legs, she got through it just fine in our Alpine. That plus we could converse at a normal speaking level even on the steepest slopes made the trip a pleasure. Like I said in post 6 "I'm a big fan of diesel" gas fits some people's needs but it sounds like you should probably find a bunkhouse pusher.

'05 Lance 845/'06 F-250 or '99 Alpine 36SDS Usually towing an '01 Wrangler locked on 35"s or moderate '98 Cherokee on 33"s (rear locker only)
daveshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:32 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Not to change the subject, but EIGHT HOURS nonstop?
Eeeek, and where is the fire?

Now i know my opinion ain't squat to nobody, and it shouldn't be, but my current daily limit is 300 miles. I ain't leaving b4 10, and i wanna be setup in plenty of time to get a good home cooked dinner going. I wanna enjoy the journey every bit as much as the destination.

This is kinda tough, as i live outside if chicago, a solid 2 days drive to anywhere halfway interesting... Still, interesting is out there, somewhere, just have to look. Even in indiana, interesting can be found.

My wife declared she wants to see utah this summer. Now the last time west, it was the third night to get to colorado springs, so utah will be 4 nights, each way, 8 total. And a good part of it travelling thru iowa and nebraska. The first time i did I80 thru nebraska, i declared it to be the last time. I've done it twice since, this summer will make it 5.

Someday, i'll have time to stay off the interstate. Then they will call me old and retired.

Its the journey.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:25 PM   #23

Quote:
I am sorry for asking this question because I know this is ask a lot of time. I will be purchasing a class a rv. I am just confused. I will be retiring in 12 years but I want to enjoy traveling now. I live in california and will be taking a trip to Disney World in my motor home when I buy it. After that trip I will only be making a few trips to the east to visit my brother within that 12 years before retirement. The motor home will be parked most of the time and maybe used twice a month on local west coast camp sites. I will probally do more traveling all over the US after retirement. Should I buy diesel now or gas since the motor will be sitting around and not being used. Help please. I want to hear from RV people not salesmen.
Hi Chatman, One thing about opioions, we all have one. Some of these comments say that is a lot of use, the trips east, Disney world, and weekends. East can be to Needles, Ca to Bangor, Maine....My first thoughts, being a conservative old fart, is a lot of sitting, deteriorating, depreceiating and expensive compared to the amount of use.
Personally I would never reccomend a motorhome to anyone still in the work force. Why, limited time to use. The weekends will most likely start off often and then get less with time. We live in a rural area where people can park their RV in their yard. We call them "yard ornaments", we watch them fall apart and the weeds grow around them.
We have friends that are in their late seventies, but still both work part time. They have owned 5 motorhomes. The present is an 06 with 12,000 miles. They do weekend trips amd some vacation travels. Have children scatered from Norfolk, Va to Hawaii. Make $700. payment and still owe more than market value....

I am a retired cross country trucker. Retired at 71. 12-09 bought a nice upscale 1999 diesel pusher. This coach had been well cared for. It had been sitting for 4 years sincetheir death. I bought it from mthe estate, several thousand below book value. I paid $33,000. but thats just part of it. The tires were 12 years old, changed oil, filters grease, replaced 2 wheel seals, new batteries, changed trans and rear end lube and filters, paid the sales tax (cheated on the purchase price) bought insurance & licenseand still spent $10,300. Thefigures listed below DO reflect these expenses, so don't be confused.

Repairs, tires, change all lubes and filters, have allsystems of the house checked out, reppairs encountered since purchase ( we have had no major repairs, just the everyday maintance things) $16,902
fuel diesel, avg 9.0mpg 8.455
insurance at $768. per year 2304
sales tax and license 1.300
total $28,961

this does not include camp grounds, propane, tolls, wash and cleaning supplies. We park at home, no storage fees.

We have driven it 22,600 miles. Cost per mile $1.33
is a car and a suite case begining to look good??

Don't get me wrong, I love my motorhome and not real keen on selling it, but point being it is an expensive, but very nice comfortable way to travel. I would wait until I retired, then buy a nice pusher, you will be $$ ahead, but again maybe $$ are not a factor. best wishes, Old Trucker
Old 04-30-2012, 05:45 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucks2 View Post
Using the same criteria listed above for buying a gas MH for use until you retire you should be driving a used Kia as your daily driver, living in a 800 sq ft home, and eating only beans and weenies until you retire.

Let's really look at what the poster asked. In the next 12 years he plans at least 4 cross country trips (Disneyworld and a few trips to the east to visit family) AND "maybe used twice a month on local west coast camp sites.". How many average motorhome owners use their MH 24 times a year? That's pretty heavy usage compared to the units sitting in my neighborhood.

The suggestions given ignore the comfort and ability of the diesel vs gas. We weren't told that cost was a deciding issue. We don't know the maintenance ability or desire of the OP. We don't know if he's contemplating new or used.

My advice is go and sit in and drive a few. See what comfort level you want. Do you want to have to go looking for a new(er) unit when you get close to retirement or do you want to buy a great rig now and keep it for 20 years? I rode with a screaming engine under the cowling next to me at work for 31 years, I certainly don't want to listen to one on vacation or in retirement. Maybe that wouldn't bother the OP or maybe it would. (no I don't believe the new gassers are as quiet as a diesel pusher)

After doing your homework on floorplans, and size and driveability, and a price check of what interests you, then you'll have a much better idea of what you want. If indeed price is the big factor, then gassers are cheaper. Long term, you might be happier buying a used diesel pusher now and enjoying the lifestyle with a little more comfort between now and then.

Ken
That's funny I like the way you put it. And I must say I agree with you. Joe
Old 06-08-2012, 09:14 PM   #25

I started out with a Class C built on a Dodge 3500 1 ton dually. It had a Cummins diesel, wow! what a rig. I just moved up to a Class A after retirement. A 40' Gulf Stream, used, a Caterpillar diesel, rear pusher. Way quieter, not as much power, but then again a lot more weight. The Class C was a lot easier to drive, it was only a 25', but the Gulf Stream is sure quiet and smooth. I could drive the Class C, 700 or 800 miles a day, no sweat. It was fun to drive, a little like a over size pickup truck. The Class A, not so much, after about 200 miles, you need a rest. So keep that in mind, consider how much driving you might want to do in a day, and put that up against the size you are considering.. Also if you are thinking about driving through the rocky mountains, and youshould, everybody should, a 40' DP will not be fun. A nice Class C on the other hand, will be pleasantly scary. As far as which type of engine? a diesel is always the weapon of choice.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:15 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
not sure what kinda gassers people are driving that "scream" up hills... I have to laugh at that claim.
Personally Id suggest spending ~$25k... for a used motorhome between 8-13 yrs old. The newer the better. Gas or diesel. Condition is important. It will give you the experience youll need to own a more expensive motorhome down the road. It will also make you a better buyer... so you can get the most coach for your $$$.
Then a couple years before retirement... find you the nicest coach you can afford
Old 06-08-2012, 11:02 PM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
I'm further away from retirement but do agree with several folks here. My rig is 10 years old and has much of the depreciation already running its course but low miles and many years of life left.

12 years is awhile before you retire and your needs now are different than they will be then. You likely won't have the same number of folks riding with you by then and your floor plan desires will be different.

So - I suggest that you get a good used gas rig that is 7-10 years old now and purchase something else when you retire. You state your budget per month for a payment here as well. If you don't have a lot of cash down, you can get something less expensive for a lot less and do an auto withdrawal of the balance of what remains of e $1000/month into savings. Let's say that balance is $500/month. After 12 years even at zero interest earned you will have saved $72,000 cash towards your retirement rig. The one you get then will be newer, fit the needs you will have then and who knows - it might run on natural gas or be a hybrid at better mpg. Don't laugh folks - natural gas and hybrid buses already drive throughout our city.
wanderso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 11:20 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderso View Post
I'm further away from retirement but do agree with several folks here. My rig is 10 years old and has much of the depreciation already running its course but low miles and many years of life left.

12 years is awhile before you retire and your needs now are different than they will be then. You likely won't have the same number of folks riding with you by then and your floor plan desires will be different.

So - I suggest that you get a good used gas rig that is 7-10 years old now and purchase something else when you retire. You state your budget per month for a payment here as well. If you don't have a lot of cash down, you can get something less expensive for a lot less and do an auto withdrawal of the balance of what remains of e $1000/month into savings. Let's say that balance is $500/month. After 12 years even at zero interest earned you will have saved $72,000 cash towards your retirement rig. The one you get then will be newer, fit the needs you will have then and who knows - it might run on natural gas or be a hybrid at better mpg. Don't laugh folks - natural gas and hybrid buses already drive throughout our city.
They sure are and I can't wait till we get a natural gas one for our selves. Great suggestion and pretty much what we have done. We bought a really nice used RV and plan to by a natural gas one just before we retire.

Sohapi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, gas