Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2014, 11:04 AM   #1

Gas or diesel?

i am looking at class a motor homes. i recently got got rid of a 02 class c, and looking tonup grade. first off, it will be mainly used for family camping. i will use it to pull my race car on a 20' open trailer, will be making a trip to bristol tn. in july(11 hrs). most other races are with 2 hours of driving. i have been looking at diesel pushers and found a few older ones. one i am concidering is a 2000 fleetwood bounder with the 300 cummins, has 144,000 miles, asking price is $30,000. but then on the other hand i have found some really nice 03-06 gass burners for not much more than that. i know the diesel in will be able to pull my race car easier and last longer. but just thinking going newer may be the way to go. i would really like to stay around a 32-34' long. any opionins are welcome. also i am a chevy man, but i have done some research and some say the ford chassis is more heavy duty. any truth to that? thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2014, 11:22 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
You trailer and car might be over the gas chassis ability to pull (GVRW)
(HP and Torque also)

Old 01-05-2014, 11:24 AM   #3
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
You trailer and car might be over the gas chassis ability to pull (GVRW)
Good point. You'll be limited to 4000-5000 lbs in a gas coach.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:30 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Depending upon the type and weight of your race car, it and the trailer may be over the 5000 lb limit for most gas motorhomes......some even have a 3500 lb limit.

30K seems quite a bit for a 2000 bounder. I'd keep looking for a better deal on a dp.

Good luck

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 12:04 PM   #5

We had a 2003 33' Gasser of which like you we used to pull a 20" open trailer of which hauled our classic C3 corvettes or 442 olds. For the minimal times we used it to pull the trailer it was sufficient. FYI... we live in PA and attended car shows in up state New York and down south so we did give it a workout) However when it came to upgrading our focus was the layout as we use the MH more for family trips versus car shows. We did entertain purchasing a few gasser models however we ended up with a 38" front end diesel with a mid entry layout of which was a deal breaker for me. We have attended a lot of car shows with onsite camping and there are a lot of gassers out there pulling both open and enclosed trailers. It depends on what you want to spend but I would first and foremost make sure that the layout suites your families needs.
Car Dolly: Mini Cooper Clubman
vanbuskirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 12:21 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Ojpearce05,
Welcome to iRV2. If the weight of what you are to tow is okay with the coach specs, what vanbuskirk posted is the recommendation I would give you. Floor plan come first.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 12:37 PM   #7

I have been looking for a diesel pusher.my main thing on the floor plan is a big shower. I have found a 02 fleetwood discovery with the 330 cat engine. A 80 year old man has it and they just don't use it anymore. Waiting to get a price on it. What's the difference in the cat and the cummins? I have had and currently have dodge 2500 with the cummins, it's hard to beat them motors. The main thing I hear is the cats are more exspensive to fix if something goes wrong. Any truth to that? Thanks for the replies.
Old 01-05-2014, 01:28 PM   #8

I can't answer your engine question however I do have another piece of advice (take it from someone who traded 3 motorhomes in 2 years). Before finalizing the deal:
> Check all walls for water damage and delamination and then open each and every cabinet.
>Sit in the living area and pretend that you are watching TV.
>Pretend that you are making a meal...the kitchen layout is a big deal! Is there enough counter space?
>Do you like to watch TV or read in bed? Is there a window or headboard behind the bed?
> Start all of the appliances, generator, water heater, jacks (big dollar items)
> Check the tires

Car Dolly: Mini Cooper Clubman
vanbuskirk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, gas