Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2008, 03:55 AM   #1

we are about to buy a motorhome class a and just can't decide which way to go. We have been thinking about this for several years and now are ready. we really like winnebago. We are going to live in it full time, but work to. Any suggestions on who has the best deal and service.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2008, 03:55 AM   #2

we are about to buy a motorhome class a and just can't decide which way to go. We have been thinking about this for several years and now are ready. we really like winnebago. We are going to live in it full time, but work to. Any suggestions on who has the best deal and service.

Old 11-23-2008, 04:06 AM   #3
TW

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Good Morning mammad,
it's up to your life style. Do you want to travel a lot - take a DIESEL
If you live around your work without a lot of driving.... take a GASSER
Every Manufacturer/Dealer (more or less) has deals...
very good Motorhomes are NEWMAR (solid), TIFFIN (super customer service), MONACO Group, WINNEBAGO.
Have a great sunday
TW
TW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 04:14 AM   #4

we won' be traveling hard for about 5 years. can we still buy diesel. Someone told us that diesel has to run alot.
Old 11-23-2008, 04:16 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Welcome to IRV2.com. You have come to the best place on the internet devoted to the RV lifestyle.

While either a gas or diesel chassis will get you where you want to go and you can enjoy either, there are differences. Only you can decide if these differences are important to your decision.

.most diesel chassis will have air suspension for a better ride.
.if it is a rear-engine diesel (diesel pusher/DP), coach will be very quiet up front while on the road. Also, the weight of the engine/tranny in the rear minimizes wind/passing trucks pushing the motorhome around.
. diesel chassis usually have higher weight bearing ability so you can haul more stuff which may be more important if you live in the rig full time. Also, the towing capacity of most DP's is 10,000 lbs vs. 5,000 for most gas chassis.
. diesel motorhomes do cost more and are more expensive to maintain, less so if you can do some of your own maintenance.

Gas chassis are much improved in recent years and you can certainly get a nice rig on a gas chassis (Winnebago Adventurer, Tiffin Allegro Bay are examples). Suggest you carefully consider your needs and wants and drive both gas and diesel rigs of similar size and floorplans. We had gas but moved to diesel and certainly have no regrets.

If you are considering Winnebago, check the Winnebago Owners' forum on IRV2. You can get lots of feedback on their motorhomes.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 04:22 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mammad:
we won' be traveling hard for about 5 years. can we still buy diesel. Someone told us that diesel has to run alot. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Any motorhome needs to be run sufficiently to keep systems in good condition. We travel 5,000 - 6,000 miles per year and I just make sure I take the DP out for a short trip once per month when it is not being used for vacation trips.

Something else to consider is the serious depreciation you see in RV's. Even if you don't plan to travel hard for 5 years, try and get what you think you will be happy with when you do start traveling more. Otherwise, you may find yourself trying to trade/sell a rig in 5 years since it may not be what you really wanted or needed. Or, you can buy used since there are some great buys out there in this tight economy.

Good luck with your decision and do come back here and let us know what you decided.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 10:09 AM   #7

mammad,

All of smlranger's points are good ones.

We were in the same dilemma earlier this year. The (generally) lower purchase price of a gas coach made it more attractive initially. We were stunned to find there are more than a few gassers out the with not much more than 1000lbs Cargo Carrying Capacity (CCC) and 4000lbs tow capacity. 1000lbs CCC will make full-timing a bit spartan and 4000lbs tow weight limits your towing options.

This was the main reason we went with the diesel pusher (DP). The one we have has over 6000lbs CCC and (as smlranger said) 10000lbs towing capacity.

The only other thing I would add is, the FRED (Front Engine Diesel) I believe lacks DP type air suspension.

Having said all of this, I was glad to find a compelling reason to get the diesel since it's what I really wanted anyway. But, if a gasser had close to the same CCC, I'd have gone with it.

Good luck in your decision making. I actually envy your task. It was great fun for me.

Steve
Old 11-24-2008, 03:00 PM   #8

All the points made here so far are valid.

For most repeat buyers, the floorplan becomes the critical issue.

Will you want or need a washer/dryer? Opposing couches? Pass-through storage? A large kitchen counter space? A 4-door refrigerator? You need to figure out the things that are important to you.

These floorplan decisions will often lead to one choice or the other.

Don't look at too many on the same day, because you will forget most of what you saw. When you go into a coach, sit down, spend some time absorbing the pros and cons of the layout. Try to work with someone who actually uses them.

Whatever you pick, you will have a great time. Don't look back!

2002 25' Mallard Trailer
kampingkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 04:37 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mammad,

--If driving a lot of miles, or pulling many hills/mountains, and your in a race to keep with the trucks, get a diesel. Gas rigs will be screaming, in lower gears (4000 RPM), to keep up with trucks on mountains.

--If the above doesn't bother you, Get a gas rig-- Why?

1- Lower initial investment

2- Less depreciation

3- Much more economical routine maintenance, ie Oil changes. $75-100 gas, $300 Diesel.

4- Gasoline runs about 80 cents a gallon less than diesel. Some diesel owners claim 10MPG. Most gas owners 7-8 MPG.

If your going to sit for an extended period of time, No question - Gas!

What ever you get, Best of luck on your choice,
Old 11-24-2008, 05:18 PM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It isn't clear from your post whether you are familiar and have participated in the RV lifestyle or not. If not, I strongly recommend that you rent before making a purchase. It might sway you in a different direction than you now believe. We rented twice for a total of nearly 6 weeks and 7,000 miles. We had a great time on both trips so we got great vacations out the rentals in addition to the learning experiences.

First, RV living is not for everyone, especially full time. We love RVing but don't see ourselves at this point every going full time. For those that do it and love, more power to them. It is a choice - but one that should be made with a little experience.

Actually living in an RV even for a few days can give you a different perspective on things. As important as the base part of the RV are the features and functions that will be necessary to make your comfortable in the lifestyle. Some people, for example, like the RV resorts with swimming pools and lots of other options. We much prefer the State Parks with more trees, less crowded sites and a bit more solitude. Another factor is how long you plan to stay in one place. We tend to travel a lot, moving every few days while others like to park for months at a time, as you may choose to do while full timing. IMHO, the features and functions you want may vary with the way that you plan to use the RV.

There are many who simply "take the plunge" or "pull the trigger". There is something to be said for simply diving in. The rental money could be used toward a purchase. At the same time, RVs, especially today, are much easier to buy than sell. Further, buying one, figuring out that it doesn't exactly meet your needs and trading for another can be a financially draining affair. It all depends on how comfortable your are wheeling and dealing your way out of a less than optimum RV situation.

I believe that we saved lots more than the costs of our rentals buy using our experiences with them to buy the right RV the first time. We are as happy now with our choice as we were when we made it nearly 5 years ago.

Best of luck in your decision.

Charlie
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 05:54 PM   #11

Mid Atlantic Campers
GAS, and make it an 8.1 while their still available. They work very well in 36-39 ft Winnies. Very few people can realize the advantage of a diesel during ownership of only a few years. Maintenance is very expensive compared to a GAS chassis, not to mention the differance in fuel costs. Yup, stick with a GASSER, it pays off quickly.

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 12:57 PM   #12

Send a message via ICQ to Steve Rankin
None of the manufacturers has any deals that are unique or better overall than the others. So, you're better off focusing on the coach that best suits your needs, tastes and pocketbook.

If you want a coach longer than about 37' OR need a lot of carrying capacity OR have a toad over 4000#, then a diesel is the only way to go. Gas chassis simply run out of GVWR/GCVWR just as the diesel chassis gets warmed up.

However, if you're happy with the floor 36-37' plans and can live comfortably with the lower CCC and have a lightweight toad, then a gas MH can be perfectly adequate.

As for driving lots of miles . . . a DP is a nicer ride on the Interstate. It's quieter, smoother riding and climbs hills with less fuss--albiet no faster--than the gas MH. If you're thinking the economics of the diesel's better MPG make it a wiser choice, then you haven't factored in the much higher cost of purchasing the DP or the higher cost to maintain & repair. If economics are important, then the gas MH is more economical.

Most of the folks we've known have replaced their first MH with another. Often not long after getting the first. Sooo, I also suggest that you leave room in your budget for upgrading the coach in just a few years. That may very well mean buying an older coach first to get a better understanding of what works for you and what doesn't. You'll lose a lot less money on an older coach than you will on a newer one when you decide to trade.
Steve Rankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 01:29 PM   #13

mammad,

I'd like to add a bit to the routine maintenance issue. While it's true a gasser oil change costs considerably less than a diesel, when you take the intervals into consideration, the picture changes significantly.

First, I'm no expert on gassers or diesels. What I do know is:

My gas powered cars have an oil change interval of 3-4 months/3-4K miles. I have to assume that, given the increased loads places on an RV engine, you should meet or exceed the interval for a car. So, we're talking about four oil changes per year.

My 2007 Cat diesel oil change interval is 12 months/12k miles, or once per year.

Using the prices previously posted, well, do your own math, but the difference is no longer as great. Now, I'm not saying diesels don't cost more than a gasser to maintain, because they do. But, in many circumstances, they are more capable. What I am saying is, depending on your requirements, the extra capabilities a diesel offers may (or may not) be worth it to you.

I know we made the right decision when DW asked me where we would stow her sewing machine. Save a penny, lose a pound. With all of the other things (we think) we'll need to full-time, 1000 or 2000 lbs of CCC is gone before we load the groceries.

A lot of good folks are offering a LOT of good advise in this thread. I hope it all helps.

Steve
Old 11-26-2008, 03:10 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Steve,
Is the gas engine oil change interval, mentioned in your post, a personal preference or what the owner's manual recommends?
thanks

Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote