Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2010, 08:56 PM   #57

Wow rough...nice

CatWoman1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2010, 09:28 AM   #58

Sherri,
Just (another) opinion. The advantage of the Jake Brake is overrated! This is an add on that lets a diesel work like the gasoline engine does w/o the add on. (granted, the higher compression ratio of the diesel enhances that operation). If you drive a gasser right, you'll find that you almost never need more than a few seconds on the brake (to slow so you can shift down) even on the steepest hill. I've driven my Pursuit (Ford V10) through the Colorado mountains (towing a Jeep) and never smelled the brakes or had them fade at all.
That said, there may be reasons to buy diesel such as higher load capacity, quiet (but remember, you'll be parked the vast majority of the time), faster up the hills, and simple ego (that one may get me yet), but not braking safety.
There is no substitute for KNOWING WHAT YOU ARE DOING!
Ernie

Remember! Life is not a rehearsal!
Ernie n Tara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 10:00 AM   #59

Don't pass up a gas coach based on less power untill you drive one. My brother has a 8.1 Workhorse with a banks system on a 37 foot motorhome. The stupid thing is a rocket. There were 3 of us on a trip 2 weeks ago. The above said coach with no toad and weighing 21,000 lbs. My coach, Monaco Cayman 37', 5.9 Cuumins 325 h.p., no toad weighing 27,000 lbs. And a 2004 40' Dutchstar with a Cummins 400 h.p. pulling an H3 Hummer. Not sure of his weight. First one up the hills was the gas pot. Last one up the hills was the 400 Cummins. Yes he was towing probably 5,000 lbs. and his coach weighed more than the rest. At the pumps the gas pot got 8 m.p.g and I got 10. The Dutchstar didn't need fuel. He has a 150 gal tank and the other 2 coaches have 75 gal tanks ( that's an extra 750 lbs of weight when tanks are full)
Old 09-04-2010, 11:24 AM   #60
Cat

Jake or exhaust brake overated?

Lots of good info.The addition jake or the exhuast brake is important. Gas you have the transmission and brakes for braking. And they do OK. The diesel you add the jake as another layer of protection and safety. So you use the Jake first and then transmission and the ace in the hole is you still have your brakes if you need them. The another advantage is the jake/exhaust and the use of them dramatically reduce brake wear= less brake jobs.
Old 09-04-2010, 11:30 AM   #61
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat View Post
Lots of good info.The addition jake or the exhuast brake is important. Gas you have the transmission and brakes for braking. And they do OK. The diesel you add the jake as another layer of protection and safety. So you use the Jake first and then transmission and the ace in the hole is you still have your brakes if you need them. The another advantage is the jake/exhaust and the use of them dramatically reduce brake wear= less brake jobs.
On mine the engine brake and transmission operate as one. As soon as the engine brake is engaged the Alison tries to work its way down to 2nd gear. I can downshift to brake without using the engine brake but can't use the engine brake without the transmission automatically downshifting.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 12:21 PM   #62

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
The advantage of the Jake Brake is overrated!
In the last few years I have been up and down the mountains between PA and SC with both a Gasser and Diesel and I say the exhaust brake is an amazing braking tool compared with the tow haul button on a gasser..
Old 09-04-2010, 12:25 PM   #63
CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat View Post
I turn on the exhaust brake as soon as I start out (except if slippery). I don't let RPMs build up before shifting down and if necessary I will go down more gears (I have a 6 speed Manual so have a lot of choices). I have over 80K on the odometer now and still have over 50% on the brake pads. I would guess that 80% of my miles are hauling or towing something.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 12:54 PM   #64

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Lots of boasting about power, but in another thread on this forum right now, people are saying that they average 55-65 mph. I do that with my old gasser, so why spend all of the $$$?
How fast do you drive?
J
Old 09-04-2010, 02:36 PM   #65

Triple E Owners Club
I have had both. I like the diesel better. I live in the mountain area and I LIKE the exhaust brake. No more white knuckles. The first thing I would do. before buying, is to take the motor home to an authorized shop for the make of the engine that is installed in the motor home, Cat, Cummins or Detroit. Have the shop connect to the engine computer and find all of the faults that may or may not have appeared. This might cost you a couple of hundred, hopefully less then 100. All depends on the shop. Also for $25.00 each have them do an engine and transmission oil analysis. This is like having a blood test done. Will tell you a lot about the engine or tranny. While you are there have them check all of the belts and belt tension adjustment.

Do Not Trust the Motor Home Dealer or Salesman.

This could save you thousand of dollars in the future.

Make sure that the engine has Diesel Motor antifreeze. Not gas engine antifreeze. If it does not have the Diesel antifreeze make the dealer flush the engine and refill with the correct antifreeze.

This might sound a little far fetch but I change my oil every two years. But I also do not put more than 15,000 miles on her in that two years. I use pure synthetic oil. 15 -40 W Diesel Motor Oil. After the first twelve month I have a oil analysis done. If it passes then I will not change the oil until the following year. I have not failed a test yet and yes I do the analysis and replace the oil filter every year.

Always spend the money on quality filters and I am not talking about NAPA filters. NAPA is OK if you are in a need but change out as soon as possible. Sorry NAPA. I believe that CAT has the best oil filter on the market. Anyway, good luck and let us know how it goes.
OneRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 04:45 PM   #66
Cat

One other advantage of diesel is the turbocharger. As you start to climb in altitude the gas engines will start losing horsepower. Turbocharged diesels will maintain their horsepower up to 9400ft. Depending on the engine maybe alittle higher maybe alittle lower.
Old 09-04-2010, 06:18 PM   #67

Thank you everyone.

As someone who has lost their brakes going down a major hill into Camp Verde, AZ with a Chevy dually pulling a fifth wheel horsetrailer with 4 horses in it, while said owners of horses were in the back seat - ONCE IS ENOUGH. Braking is pretty important to me as one traumatic experience like that will put you off the deep end for brake safety. If none of you are familiar with the area/terrain/hill - it's about a 500 foot drop off sheer cliff on the right hand side - pretty godawful thing to be looking at when your foot is going to the floor when you touch the brakes. Yes, I had a trailer brake separate from the truck brakes, and that is the ONLY reason I am here today. Truck brakes got hot and went "see ya." And it didn't take much - I was not riding the breaks all the way down the hill (as I lost them less than halfway down.) Sooo.....from all the research and from what I hear, the jac brake will be my very best friend....
Old 09-04-2010, 06:18 PM   #68

That would be "brakes" not "breaks"
Old 09-04-2010, 06:27 PM   #69
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Hey, we were willing to give you a break, on the brakes.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 06:52 PM   #70
CD

I believe it is important to drive like you might loose any of the braking systems ie: brakes, grears, or Jake/exhaust brake.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote