Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2018, 01:46 PM   #1

Gas or Diesel a second look

I know this question has been beat to death but seems the newer gas motorhomes have alot going for them. The proven Ford V10 has increased HP I belive now is 360HP (I know torque is not equal) but according to a 2015 Bounder owner I recently talked to, with the 360HP he has no problem pulling a toad up the mountain. I believe the Tranny is now 6 speed. The class C that I now have could really benifit from additional gears. So if you were in the market for a smaller class A motorhome say around 36-38' in order to stay in the National Parks and performed* some of the many upgrades to inhance the ride and performance like for instance an air ride conversion kit, sterring stabalizers and high performance anti sway bars all which are relatively inexpensive, it seems would give the diesel a run for the money. The Bounder I know even has the large 22.5"* tires.*

The only advantage that I can think of the diesel would have at this point would be the extra torque and the tighter turning radius. Would this be worth the extra $$$?. The gasser of course has lower operating cost and parts and service easier to come by.

Im not sold on a gasser being my next class A but would appreciate honest inputs on both sides.*
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2018, 02:01 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have own my 2012 Forest River Georgetown XL model 378TS (Triple Slide) It has the powerful Ford V-10 with the 5 speed transmission.
It is 38ft long and has everything you might want in a motorhome.
I recently went over 60,000 mile son mine and had no major or even minor mechanical problems with the Ford F-53 chassis.
The living area in mine is gigantic and you can have 12 couples line dancing if you want. lol
If you are tall you definitely need a king size bed.

Now they sell for around $150,000 but most people can get them a lot cheaper when the new ones are coming out.
I got mine for $110,000 here in Arizona
The way I look at it I'm not a full timer and don't need the extra payment costs nor the large maintenance costs of a diesel.
My oil is Motorcraaft 5w20 (7 qts) bought at Walmart as well as the filter.
So for $35 or less you can do a oil change.
I have flushed my brake system as well as transmission and radiator at 30,000 miles just because. I also recently replaced all my 22.5" tires at 50,000 miles because of age and not miles, I live in Arizona so heat had a factor also.
I just had my rig in at my local Ford Commercial Truck shop and this is what they told me for my 60,300 mile checkup.

As some of you may know I take good care of my 2012 Georgetown 378TS.
90% of my driving is on interstate highways at 60-65mph if not higher.
I change my oil and filter between 4,000 and 5,000 miles.
I try and do most of my maintenance myself like oil and filter changes, Air Filter and other fluid levels.
My Georgetown now has 60,300 miles I wanted to spend a few $$$ at my local trusted Ford Commercial Vehicle shop who work on all the HD commercial truck fleets in the area.

I asked them to give my F53 a once over using computer diagnostics and visual inspection and this is what the result is.

Mechanic was very pleased what he found.
He said to continue regular oil and filter changes and should not have any issues for a along time.

Inspection and Repairs.

1. Replaced original Ford battery was 7 years old with a new one.

2. Front Brakes 6mm and rears 7mm. (New pads are 12mm)
He said come back in 10,000 miles and we may be ready for a new set of brakes pad, turn rotors and flush the brake fluid.
Until then everything looks great!

3. Original Serpentine belt is still great as well as the tensioner arm

4. Checked fluid in parking brake system. (Rear of Transmission)

5. Greased all zerk fitting in frontend

6. Computer showed no Codes on any system, Engine, plugs, coils, spark plugs, ABS system, Oxygen Sensors (3) great, Air Flow sensor OK

7. Coolant is good for at least 50,000 more miles

8. Transmission fluid good for another 50,000 miles.

So I have to start saving of for the brake job in a few years.
Usually costs $1,200 to $1,500.

This inspection cost me a few bucks in labor but what I wanted was some professional to assure me that my MH was still a good running shape.
I now feel very happy that I can honestly say my Ford F-53 chassis is solid and ready to roll for a few years to come.
I hope this helps others feel better about the Ford V-10 and Chassis.

So this is why I have a Ford F-53 V-10
Agree or Not.
Iggytech
Old 07-08-2018, 02:06 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club

Glad to have you here in the forum with us. You're gonna like it here.

A few other advantages of a diesel are: Air suspension for a smoother ride, air brakes, rear engine so the cockpit is quieter, engine brake which makes going down hills easier. I'm sure you'll get plenty of opinions on this.

Happy Trails!!!
Old 07-08-2018, 02:36 PM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

A huge difference to me would be the noise of that big gas engine under our feet pulling up a long mountain grade! I would strongly recommend a DP if the budget will allow it.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
Old 07-08-2018, 02:45 PM   #5

Compare GVWR, CCC and towing capacity.
Old 07-08-2018, 02:49 PM   #6

Go diesel if budget allows.
Old 07-08-2018, 02:53 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Diesel offers much more than meets the initial eye. There is no ignition system and therefore far less components to maintain. Diesel runs cooler and at significantly lower RPM so the engine life is at least 4X longer than gas engines. Also the fuel economy of a diesel is generally enough better to pay for itself over a few years...it depends on how long you keep your coach and how many miles you travel each year.

Personally, I would never have anything but a diesel...but they do cost more up front

Pay me now or pay me later...
Old 07-08-2018, 03:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsadventures View Post
Diesel offers much more than meets the initial eye. There is no ignition system and therefore far less components to maintain. Diesel runs cooler and at significantly lower RPM so the engine life is at least 4X longer than gas engines. Also the fuel economy of a diesel is generally enough better to pay for itself over a few years...it depends on how long you keep your coach and how many miles you travel each year.

Personally, I would never have anything but a diesel...but they do cost more up front

Pay me now or pay me later...

Lol less components to maintain? Turbo, much more complex everything. You are living in another world. Diesel fuel costs more so mileage cost is a wash, sure my gasser is noisier going up a steep hill the odd time but when I and the whole campground hear a DP starting up every morning and gasser is next to silent I fail to believe diesel is quieter.
Dont get me wrong someday I may have a DP but not because of less noise, longjevity, cheaper maintenance or better mileage.
Old 07-08-2018, 03:48 PM   #9

It is a question that will never be resolved. The Federal government eliminated gas engines for vehicles over 26,000 lbs. As long as that is in effect there is no competition other than how much weight you want to haul and how much you worry about air ride, engine noise, and status.
Old 07-08-2018, 04:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLavionics View Post
The proven Ford V10 has increased HP I belive now is 360HP
I think this went the opposite direction. The V10 use to be rated @ 362HP but is now at 330HP but at a lower RPM. I want to say this happened in 2016 with the new 6spd tranny. It's the same engine as ever and makes the same power as ever. It just has to do with what RPM the reading is taken at. I seem to remember reading all about it and is had to to with some emission or government thing (of course).

I agree with OP's general conclusion that the gassers are bridging the gap a bit. The 6spd tranny is getting great reviews and being able to pull grades at a reasonable speed (maybe even with a toad) is a HUGE improvement over coaches of 10-20 years ago. My biggest negative with the gassers is the handling and ride. The DPs just get such great reviews. If/when I get into a class A I'm budgeting some immediate money for upgrades. Safe steering, track bars, maybe a Kelderman or MORryde suspension. We'll see.

Of course, long term, I'm looking diesel. But, at 46 I still many years to work and just can't justify the expense for the DP..... yet. Also, a lot of the new/newer gassers have more family friendly floor plans.
Old 07-08-2018, 04:45 PM   #11

Well not to make light of bsadventures post..... but that may have been the case years back but now we are into the 21st century. Diesels have their place but not sure where these days except for 18 wheels. My V10 puts out as much (and in some cases more) HP than a diesel for a 30' class A. And it has almost as much torque. A gas coach cost/s almost $100K+ less than the nearest diesel, get pretty much the same MPG (on avg 7 to 9 mpg). And with gas costing less (around .50 .70 cents per gal), IMHO is cheaper to own and maintain. I don't have to worry about heat issues climbing hills (my V10 H2O or trans gauge doesn't move at all). I can tow 8000 lbs (some diesels can't do that!). And if the noise is an issue for goodness sakes put some insolation under the dog house!! The only time we hear the engine is in a climb and even then it's not all that bad. I just turn up the music a little more. We can still talk to each other! A friend just bought a slightly used diesel class A and it can't keep up with us not to mention the fuel cost on their trips. Almost double ours. They now want a gasser.... Those that have diesels really like them and are used to the cost so it's a mute point really, but starting out you might opt for a gasser.
Old 07-08-2018, 04:51 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
All depends on your budget, what you want in a coach and how you plan to use it. Weekend outings and a couple of weeks per year out in the coach then maybe a gas chassis might be best. Full timing and/or maybe never staying in one place more than a week a diesel should be your first choice. Part timing with three months out and three months in the choice is a little more difficult. The diesel has some advantage going down the road but once you arrive at the campground the advantage is getting chipped away with each model year.

Good luck with whatever you choose.
Old 07-08-2018, 04:59 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtofell View Post
I think this went the opposite direction. The V10 use to be rated @ 362HP but is now at 330HP but at a lower RPM. I want to say this happened in 2016 with the new 6spd tranny. It's the same engine as ever and makes the same power as ever. It just has to do with what RPM the reading is taken at. I seem to remember reading all about it and is had to to with some emission or government thing (of course).

I agree with OP's general conclusion that the gassers are bridging the gap a bit. The 6spd tranny is getting great reviews and being able to pull grades at a reasonable speed (maybe even with a toad) is a HUGE improvement over coaches of 10-20 years ago. My biggest negative with the gassers is the handling and ride. The DPs just get such great reviews. If/when I get into a class A I'm budgeting some immediate money for upgrades. Safe steering, track bars, maybe a Kelderman or MORryde suspension. We'll see.

Of course, long term, I'm looking diesel. But, at 46 I still many years to work and just can't justify the expense for the DP..... yet. Also, a lot of the new/newer gassers have more family friendly floor plans.
They seemed to rated now @ 370@3900rpm and 470@3000 lb-ft torque. I did a 5Star Tune and have more on both ends now.
Old 07-08-2018, 05:32 PM   #14

I have not driven a DP so cannot comment on it. I have driven 1000miles in a rear engine Gasser the past 2 months and there is no comarison between it and any of the 4 and 5 speed f53's I have driven. I have heard the 6 speed f53 is very good.
Closed Thread

Tags
diesel, gas