Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2013, 03:14 PM   #15

The frig uses very little energy, but the LP system is about 80% efficient. The genny, at best, is about 20-25% efficient.

So the direct answer is that LP will use less fuel, but if you need the genny for other purposes, the frig load on the genny won't be much. Take your choice.

Another consideration might be the availability of fuel for each. It's easy to get fuel for a non LP genny, but finding propane could be a problem.

As a general rule, using propane at 80% efficiency for the same job always uses less fuel than a genny that must convert fuel into electrical energy with an efficiency in the 20 percent range and then convert that into heat.

Good Luck!
wil01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2013, 06:43 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for all the input. Putting in a couple of 8 hour days, running roof air if hot out due to passengers in cabin. Dash air is decent but won't get back very far in MH. Sounds like I might as well save LP if I have to run gen for AC and put fridge on electric; and use LP if cabin is cool enough to go gen/AC-free.
Old 06-15-2013, 06:44 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
So basically-keep it on auto. :-)
Old 06-16-2013, 12:43 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBFlTmer View Post
So basically-keep it on auto. :-)
Eggsactly!
wilco1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 07:09 AM   #19

Lol. I wish I had that option. Mine is total electric!!
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:06 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChallengerRN View Post
Lol. I wish I had that option. Mine is total electric!!
I've looked at total electric coaches as an option for MH2. So you have to run gen or get fridge good and cold for trip don't you?. I like idea of not having to fill one more thing, but the propane does come in handy. Hmmm-so many pros/cons.
Old 06-17-2013, 05:48 AM   #21

No the frig runs on the inverter most of the time which is fine if you have electric hook up at night. If your staying at Walmart or boondocking you will need to run generator. I just use too much power and my inverter will shut off about 4 am. Which shuts the frig down. There are up sides also. This frig is probably twice the size as our previous ones. We still love our MH. just a learning curve.
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:17 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I run my fridge on the inverter when traveling. It doesn't use a lot of power and the coach engines charges the batteries while running.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:26 AM   #23

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I know a lot of folks who are scared of propane, and the Insurance says don't have it on when on the road.. HOWEVER,,, I think the insurance company needs to re-calculate.. (I'd rather see a fridge fire on the road than in a crowded situation such as an FMCA rally).

Propane or generator: It costs way way less to run it on propane, UNLESS.... You are running the generator for other reasons.. So if you are running the generator for A/C. then use it for the fridge as well.. Else, Propane.