RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2019, 08:43 PM   #1

Gas oven

I can light the pilot and it will burn forever. However, the oven will not light off. It appears that the gas valve will not open to light off the oven. Nothing happens when I turn the temp knob up to fire the oven. Any ideas what to check? We used the oven for the first time that it was ever used last year and it worked great. Stovetop works fine. Any ideas?

Bahamaniac is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2019, 09:51 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamaniac View Post
I can light the pilot and it will burn forever. However, the oven will not light off. It appears that the gas valve will not open to light off the oven. Nothing happens when I turn the temp knob up to fire the oven. Any ideas what to check? We used the oven for the first time that it was ever used last year and it worked great. Stovetop works fine. Any ideas?
First thought is to check the flame sensor for the oven, both the wiring connections and its position in the pilot flame. If you have electric ignitors for the top burners, and the burners work, then you have DC to the range but maybe not to the oven solenoid, so that could be a bad connection or control board issue as well.

Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 10:00 PM   #3

Oven uses a thermocouple that has to be heated by the pilot flame so it can generate the signal needed to open gas valve to main burner

Gas control valve is gas valve, thermostat control and thermocouple sensing ALL in one unit

Might be able to replace thermocouple..........Might have to replace the gas control unit
Depends on Make/Model.
What Brand/Model is your Stove/Oven??
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 10:44 PM   #4

Old Biscuit has it right. Even though the pilot is lit, if the pilot flame is not impacting on the thermocouple squarely and directly it's not heating it enough to send the signal to the gas valve. There's a couple of ways to address this. Some oven valves have a screw (needle valve) on their body to enable you to adjust the pilot flame. If yours does, this might need to be turned up. Another issue could be that your gas pressure AT THE STOVE may have dropped due to a regulator problem. Have a technician check it, or buy an LP test gauge and do it yourself. A small drop in gas pressure may not be obvious in the stovetop burners, but may still be down enough to give you a problem. Another issue to check is to look closely at where the thermocouple and pilot actually are. They can be knocked out of alignment by any variety of things including storing things in an unused oven. Finally, you could use a BBQ lighter https://www.amazon.com/Refillable-Lo...a-632523026877 and hold it's flame to the thermocouple at the same time as the pilot is on.

These ovens are not rocket science, but everything has to be aligned and within specs to get them working reliably. Good luck.
Pigman1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 01:59 AM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"Bahamaniac"....here is a generic picture of a thermocouple. The smooth tube to the bottom left of the photo, is the part of the thermocouple that should be situated over your pilot light. The pilot heats that end and sends an electrical signal to open the gas valve. Make sure your pilot is hitting the end of the tube. They can be knocked/bumped out of the way.

Click image for larger version

Name:	honeywell-heater-accessories-cq100a1013-64_1000.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	257142
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 07:26 AM   #6

I had an oven in a new TT that would work intermittently. Dealer failed in repairs so I did it. Found there was so much grease in the temperature control valve that the port was being plugged up.
If the other suggestions don't work you might want to check this out.
leadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 11:33 AM   #7

Thank you all for the replies! Now I think I have a plan of attack. I think a shallow drip pan in the oven may have bumped the thermocouple. Hopefully I can fix it today if not tomorrow. I will post results when I can get to it today or tomorrow.
Old 08-17-2019, 10:05 PM   #8

After pilot is lit, when you turn up the heat the pilot flame increases to heat that thermocoupler. If it does not do that follow good info above.
Bowserdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 06:03 AM   #9

If the thermocouple is not heated by the pilot flame the pilot will not stay lit. There is a fluid inside the thermocouple that expands when heated to open a port in the gas valve so the pilot will stay lit and allow gas to flow to the burner when the oven control is opened. The gas is then lit by the pilot flame.
Sometimes the fluid leaks out of the thermocouple and then the pilot will not stay lit.
Old 08-18-2019, 08:07 AM   #10

The thermocouple is all electrical, it produces a small electrical current when heated which in turn opens the main gas valve. They do occasionally fail, but not often.
G Schulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 06:03 AM   #11

Some newer thermocouples are electric like the one on my S&B gas water heater.
The one pictured above is a Bourbon (SP) bulb style, it has a gas in it that expands to push the valve open. Usually smells like ether when the tube is broken. Mechanical temperature gauges for vehicles and older industrial equipment also use this system.
I haven't looked at a new rv oven but all of the thermocouples listed on Amazon for an rv oven are of the bulb type.
The size of the bulb can vary from fast like the one posted to slim like the ones on Amazon.
Old 08-19-2019, 01:45 PM   #12

Ok, I had a chance to look at the Atwood oven. The thermocouple was properly positioned. I can light the pilot ok. And when I turn up the temperature the pilot increases in size. However the oven will not light off. I am thinking its the thermocouple. Strange though. It's a 1999 but the oven was never lit until I used it for the first time ever last year. It worked flawlessly. Yes I know. A 20 year old unit that had never been used? The rear heater had never been used until I lit it last year also. The pull out sofa had never been used as a bed either. I know the original owner and he confirmed.
Is there any way to test the thermocouple?
Old 08-19-2019, 11:39 PM   #13

It's most likely the main valve in the back of the stove. Happened to me.

Suburban Oven no heat
spyderRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 12:40 AM   #14

OK...it's an Atwood

BUT WHICH MODEL........Atwood/Wedgewood has NUMEROUS models therefore different parts.

Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas